PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    watched mi:ghost protocol with the gf.
    quite enjoyable switch off and watch type affair...i enjoyed it.

also watched 21 jump street.
    it were ok but very predictable and not as funny as i imagined it could be.

@ds. my anime recomendations for you are ....perfect blue, my neighbour totoro, ponpokoyo.
    also try these older mangas too....  ninja scroll, ghost in the shell 1 and 2.

also i thought redline were shit and turned it off after 10 minutes.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Persuaded girlfriend to watch Avengers with me next week, thought that to avoid a complete waste of money she should catch up on the seed movies...

Captain America - strong enough start, liked the 40s look, strong characters. Second half is just bizarre. The bit where the senator is like "hey come get your medal" back in the US, but in fact Cap is back in Germany fighting what a hero! was especially jarring. I quite liked the silly techno-bikes and missile-copters because source material. Ending was quite affecting, pre-wake up.

The Incredible Hulk - Funk no like. Didn't like Norton's Banner, Tim Roth's plastic body suit was off-putting, Ross' motivation wasn't sound, CGI patchy, way too long. Heard that Avengers' Hulk is much better. Hope so.

Thor - Portman made this movie work for me. Lots of silliness and faux-science but she sold me on the idea of a strong-but-brittle woman falling for a crazy naked man from the sky who thinks he's a god. The comedy moments mostly hit the mark, but anything that happened off-planet was just garbage and should have been cut down.

Anyway to balance things out we also watched Drive which was very enjoyable. Had managed to avoid all spoilers since the excessive spooging from DS et al convinced me to watch it. Did NOT recognise Hal from MitM. Dude's got range. Several passages had my heart pumping. Thought the romance / older brother motivation was slightly suspect but very sweet and believable. Couldn't really understand why he was so good at murderising but rationalised by him being so cool, calm and collected in all situations like a proper driver.

Also Pan's Labyrinth which you know bottle killing fuck.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Watched Mission Unpossible: Ghost Protocol last night. Bit of a mess really, expected better from Mr Bird. They could have done with a better plot because it really was MI: By The Numbers. The dangling off a building bit was quite good but the iDevice and BMW product placement stuck out like a sore dick. On the plus side the 1080p streaming from Zune worked great on my modest 5mb connection. Probably because half the image was two huge black bars but hey. On a side note I re-watched MI:3 the other night on Netflix, Abrams really shot the shit out of that bastard didn't he.

First, I'll say, I really liked the movie but, you're the second person I've heard complaining about the smartphone style devices they use, why wouldn't they be using something just like that though, technology gets smaller and that applies to spy tech as well, it's inconspicuous, it made perfect sense to me. What I loved about the movie was that all the tech they used while insane was just about plausible and made more so by the fact that everything breaks.
    Shot beautifully as well, such a great use of colour in the sandstorm scene, and the segment with the cameras in the hallway and the double meeting are such brilliant, Mission:Impossible scenarios, it felt like a modern episode of the show. I watched it a second time recently and yeah there may be some fat to be trimmed(India sequence is quite lame) but it's a quality picture and I can't help but admire Cruise going to Buster Keaton levels with bringing the spectacle into reality. If it had a villain like 3, it would probably be the perfect action movie.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • You aren't wrong there Rick. Hallway sequence was a highlight for me. Utterly ridiculous but probably doable in some sterile lab somewhere.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    google wrote:
    I've still to watch Akira.
    It's 25 years old - I'm not quite sure how it would hold up to a first time viewing today. There are some fucking great moments throughout, but the film really is a complete mess as one would expect from a mid-80's Japanese anime film about a 4000 page manga.

It holds up very well because the animation is superb. Odd story though. Apparently (lest it's already been mentioned), Leo Di Caprio's attached to a project to produce and star (as Kineda, or an equivalent) in a live action Hollywood feature based on the anime.

You could always wait for that...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Is he? Last I heard he wasn't, then was, then wasn't then was, then wasn't. Shit changes every day and should never happen.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    @rickjoyce

I just thought it was messy really. Still, true disaster was narrowly avoided when they killed captain chin from Lost in the first 3 minutes.

Spoilers.
  • He isn't. Plus never believe anything from anyone who can't spell Kaneda correctly.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    google wrote:
    He isn't. Plus never believe anything from anyone who can't spell Kaneda correctly.

There's a dude on another forum who posts as Kineda... Anime fan... Figures... :P
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yeah.There's something weird about Tom cruise's body (and mind obvioulsy). It's like a tall muscley midgit's.

EDIT: oops @unlikely
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Watching Haywire and this funkadelic crap soundtrack is so out of place.
  • Haywire was a bit disappointing.  I think I wrote that before but my feeling have not changed.
  • Also, I'm still not convinced Carano was dubbed.  There might have been some ADR, in fact that's a near certainty, but dubbed by someone else?  Hmm.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Reading up on it, apparently her voice was just digitally altered to make it much deeper.

Watch some interviews with her on youtube and it's pretty obvious.
  • I wish Carano would come out of retirement. I miss seeing her punching people.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Another Earth.  Captivating stuff!
    Get schwifty.
  • What's the deal with that? Proper Sci-fi? Or, pretentious existential musing borlocks? or both?
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Both, from what I've read.

Heavy on the pretentious.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Not proper sci-fi at all, merely the backdrop to a story about a couple of damaged individuals.  Well worth checking out.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    No, DS.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've heard the good and bad re: reviews for that and I'm fairly sure I'll end up siding with the bad. Not really my cup of tea.

And anyway, I don't drink tea.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Watched Tyrannosaur last night, wow horrible, challenging not bad, really good film, a study of bleak. My mate has watched plenty of horrible with me, and he even turned around after a part where someone was pretending to be asleep, he said Jesus Ben, we're only 20 minutes in, where else can it go? Cracking film, hard, but worth seeing
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's an amazing film.

Was it you who recommended Sauna, cocko?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yes, please tell me someone other than me has seen it now. You enjoy it?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I haven't seen it yet, but I got it the other day so its on the to watch very soon list. I remembered you really liking it.

Mainly got it because someone mentioned it when I was looking up Iron Sky:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/
  • Another Earth wasn't amazing but I enjoyed it. Certainly a nice 'what if' film. Some bits didn't sit right though, ho hum. Liked the music too.

Tyrannosaur is brilliant. Coleman was fantastic in it, who knew she had it in her.

Cocko, get an avatar.
  • I liked the Avengers A LOT. A little bit more than the Cabin in the Woods (the previous film I saw) and also the Muppets.
  • I liked the Avengers A LOT. A little bit more than the Cabin in the Woods (the previous film I saw) and also the Muppets.

Nice to see you're getting some variety from your cinema trips.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've been recommending Tyrannosaur for ages at work. Plebs hardly ever pick it up.
  • Tyrannosaur has some of the best performances I've ever seen for sure. Yeah, ditto on Colman too, brilliantly funny elsewhere and very intense here. I watched that and Take Shelter in the same night and was ready for a good cry.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!