Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I also watched The Suicide Squad and thought it was great fun.
  • I obviously don't pay enough attention but wasn't there a movie called suicide squad just a few years ago?
    So is this a prequel/sequel or a reboot already?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • No they decided that one didn't make enough money so they thought hmm let's try again but go EDGY and now even after that there's yet another hashtag about a directors cut happening so strap in for takeoff!!!!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think they just decided that the first one was such a pile of shit that they'd be better off making another one and forgetting about the first one altogether.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I obviously don't pay enough attention but wasn't there a movie called suicide squad just a few years ago?
    So is this a prequel/sequel or a reboot already?

It seems to be halfway between a sequel and a reboot. There are several returning characters from the first film, but the film isn’t continuing the story from the first one.
  • It would've been more of a direct sequel if they had Will Smith back as planned but he wasn't able to do it.

Also there isn't really a continuing story going on, just more fun in the same world. It doesn't really introduce anything to do with the Suicide Squad programme, just gets stuck in.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • You could watch this one entirely separately of the first one and despite not enjoying it as much as others I would recommend doing just that.

The omission of Jared Leto's Joker alone puts this new take on another level.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think if Will Smith had been in it I wouldn't have bothered watching it. He's kryptonite to my enjoying any film.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watched Profile last night.

One of those films done entirely through the medium of computer screen. A journalist poses as a wannabee terrorist to infiltrate a recruitment for a terrorist group online, for a news story.

While it doesn't offer anything deep or new about the subject its handled fairly well. The lead comes across as a right idiot but it's set that she's motivated by money from the start.

Decent fare. More of a drama with light thriller elements.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Troma's one I need to deep dive on, I saw Class of Nukem High as a kid, and acquired The Toxic Avenger a couple of years back, which I enjoyed. Anyone have a tier list of their output?

Tromeo and Juliet is worth a watch. It’s written by Kaufman and Gunn, with Kaufman directing and Gunn as AD. You’re best off knowing as little as possible barring what’s obvious from the title (it’s very much what you’d expect from “Troma do Romeo and Juliet”)
  • Kow wrote:
    I think if Will Smith had been in it I wouldn't have bothered watching it. He's kryptonite to my enjoying any film.

I'm not against Smith but Elba was great in it and did a better job than I imagine Smith doing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    It would've been more of a direct sequel if they had Will Smith back as planned but he wasn't able to do it.

From the sounds of things, the story changed very little once they realised that Smith wasn’t available. It sounds like this was always going to be a reboot of sorts.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Kow wrote:

I'm not against Smith but Elba was great in it and did a better job than I imagine Smith doing.

I thought Elba was absolutely superb. I couldn't possibly imagine Smith doing it as well as he did.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Elba/Cena was the highlight of the movie.
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    It would've been more of a direct sequel if they had Will Smith back as planned but he wasn't able to do it.

From the sounds of things, the story changed very little once they realised that Smith wasn’t available. It sounds like this was always going to be a reboot of sorts.

I read somewhere that Gunn was told he could keep as little or as much as he wanted from the previous film - with the one caveat that the new one had to have Harley in it.

(I’m guessing he was also told he couldn’t kill her, though I haven’t seen the film yet so might be in for a surprise…)
  • tin_robot wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Troma's one I need to deep dive on, I saw Class of Nukem High as a kid, and acquired The Toxic Avenger a couple of years back, which I enjoyed. Anyone have a tier list of their output?

Tromeo and Juliet is worth a watch. It’s written by Kaufman and Gunn, with Kaufman directing and Gunn as AD. You’re best off knowing as little as possible barring what’s obvious from the title (it’s very much what you’d expect from “Troma do Romeo and Juliet”)

Cheers Tin, I remember Manga Mania doing a cover on Tromeo & Juliet when it came out, was disappointed back then as I bought MM for manga stuff. I may dig the issue out and have a read when I'm next back up north.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

I read somewhere that Gunn was told he could keep as little or as much as he wanted from the previous film - with the one caveat that the new one had to have Harley in it.

(I’m guessing he was also told he couldn’t kill her, though I haven’t seen the film yet so might be in for a surprise…)

According to Gunn:

[Warners] said, listen, we would love it if Margot’s in the movie but she doesn’t have to be. You could come up with all new characters or you could keep all the same characters.

Having seen the film myself, I can’t comment on anything related to being able to kill Quinn off or not.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Of course, the one massive plot hole that hangs over the whole film is:

Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I obviously don't pay enough attention but wasn't there a movie called suicide squad just a few years ago? So is this a prequel/sequel or a reboot already?

Up until reading these posts was exactly of the same impression. I saw a quick clip of a shark walking about and I thought it was in the first one.

I'm bloated on the whole Marvel/DC thing but maybe I'll give this one a watch.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow wrote:
    100% this. Totally miscast in the first film.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’m 50/50 on it.
    I enjoyed it. It was fun. But it had some flaccid sections.
    The one thing that really grated was the music levels.
    Some good tracks in there that were played so low during action scenes that they might as well not even played them.
    When I heard some of the tracks start up I was expecting an orchestration of sound and and gore but instead of setting the levels to 11, they set them to 3.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yeah, odd mix. I noticed that too.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It was ok, I found my attention drifting away a few times though
  • Kow wrote:
    I only realised afterwards that the shark vas voiced by Stallone.

It feels like a trope at this point in line with vin diesels groot
  • I saw the suicide squad at the cineflix today. It was good fun, solid 3 or 4 out of six for me.

I liked a lot of the jokes in the film and the “stuff” was good but I think how the bits joined together was a bit random and oddly paced. I think this was in some ways the action equivalent of an undermining joke, the action at some points is consistently undercut by some other random action.

I really liked the shark character in particular.
    Spoiler:
  • After digging out the DVD the last time Miller's Crossing was brought up here, I finally got around to watching it last night.

I remember enjoying it but not loving it the last time I saw it and that still holds true. Finney, Turturo and Buscemi are excellent, but there's a real lack of star power elsewhere. Byrne is a decent actor, but I'm not sure he was ever leading man material. I'd completely forgotten Marcia Gay Harden was the femme fatale as well, I don't remember her ever being this young.

There are echoes of a lot of later Coen films - elaborate and misunderstood plots, nods to old Hollywood, snappy dialogue, but it's more clever than fun. I mean it's really a bit of a violent downer. The laughs that are pretty constant in most of their later works never really materialise here. For a film so lauded at the time, feels fairly unpolished in comparison.
  • Hey DS, you excited to watch Titane? I just heard about it from it winning the Palm D'Or at Cannes but it sounds fucking mental. A body horror about a woman getting pregnant after having sex with a car. How did a film like this win Cannes?!
    Most anticipated film. After Raw it was bound to be.

Just back from a forum break. Totes didn't realise it was the Raw lady. Makes me even more excited now!
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    Has anyone seen The Empty Man?  I’m hearing good things about it.  I have to either hit the button at £9.99 or get Disney+ to watch it.
    I'll try tonight and let you know.
    My man.
    This is way better than it has any right to be. First 20 minutes or is some of the best horror around. Kinda wished that was the whole movie as if they kept it up it'd be a classic. Its by no means incredible but considering the lack of hype and fucking terrible poster it's good fun. More about suspense and atmosphere than jump scares.

Yeah, I applauded The Empty Man for swinging for the fences. It doesn't really quite pull it off but well done for trying. The two main things I didn't like were:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Criterion Collection finally moving to 4K Ultra HD!  First 6 releases will include Citizen Kane, Menace II Society, and Mulholland Drive.  Excite!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cool, never seen Mullholland, been on my watch list for long time.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!