Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I really loved the visuals during the first 2 fights in The Gray Man - they really set the film off with a bang. The sequence that blew my mind was
    Spoiler:

I really hope they do a sequel and then a spin off with Ana De Armas’ character cos she rocks.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I mean I’ll watch Ana do anything so yeah.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Very much enjoyed The Grey Man. Kind of wish it was a cinema release for some of those action scenes. Gosling and Evans clearly having a great time with the script and roles, some random bit parts in there as well for quite well known actors.

It does have a cinema release, though I’m not sure how widespread. Kermode was saying on the podcast that it’s a film to see in the cinema with everything turned up as high as possible.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Watched Terminator Dark Fate last night, and I thought it was pretty good. A couple of slightly “eh?” moments with what a couple of characters had been doing with themselves over the prior couple of decades, but the action was good, the relentless sense of impending doom was present and correct, and overall it was easily the best Terminator movie since 2 (albeit, not a patch on 2).

Still, good stuff.
  • Yeah, after the last few it was better than I expected. Felt awfully derivative early on and some of it had an eyebrow raised halfway to the ceiling but overall it was a pleasant surprise.
  • I thought Linda Hamilton was great in that. The movie was a bit meh but she bumped it up for me
  • Defo this best since 2.
    Its ok for the most. I hated the very start with John Connor though. I get it's limited what they can do with Furlong being a state so they do a CG version with the tech available but maybe kill him off camera and leave us wondering a bit.
    It just felt too easy and kinda pissed on T2 a bit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    There are no Terminators after T2.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    There are no Terminators after T2.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Defo this best since 2.
    Its ok for the most. I hated the very start with John Connor though. I get it's limited what they can do with Furlong being a state so they do a CG version with the tech available but maybe kill him off camera and leave us wondering a bit.
    It just felt too easy and kinda pissed on T2 a bit.

From memory I think they're both fully CG in that scene. Still looks weird that stuff but damn impressive at the same time
  • I stopped watching it after half an hour but more because I was worried it'd be shit than because it actually seemed shit. Might revisit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    wrong thread
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • First 20 minutes or so is probably the weakest as it's almost beat-for-beat a retread of old ground.  There's a mid-film "twist" that will require some serious disbelief suspension but if you can go with it it's a solid enough action film.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Dark Fate isn’t nearly as good as T3.

*runs away*
    Get schwifty.
  • Best post-2 Terminator (and they're all a bit ripe) is Genisys.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I enjoyed Genysis also. The chief stinkers of the series are Salvation and Dark Fate.
    Get schwifty.
  • I've no idea which is which when it comes to Terminator sequels. Didn't even know there was a relatively new one out. Last one I was aware of had Kalesi from GoT in it.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I've no idea which is which when it comes to Terminator sequels. Didn't even know there was a relatively new one out. Last one I was aware of had Kalesi from GoT in it.

Worth watching just for the lovely lovely Emilia Clarke.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So The Gray Man
    It sure is one of the most average movies I've ever seen in my life. I'd put it in my 90s VHS drawer alongside the siege, the negotiator and others.

I'm done with the juxtaposition of old timey music and fight scenes, I'm done with using flares to hide bad fight editing, and I'm really done with Gosling being used as a cypher post Drive.

It's fine, it goes places, and it exists. It's the ultimate 3/5.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    So The Gray Man
    … I'm done with using flares to hide bad fight editing,
    I don’t get this part - hide bad editing? Sure, there’s a few cuts in the flare fight, but that last shot goes for quite a while, frames everything well, all stunt guys hit their marks and the camera tracks slowly down to frame the gun on the floor and everything totally works in that shot with no cuts. Nicely cross lit from side window as well.

As a fan of action films, I was incredibly impressed by the flare fight as that must have been a pain to reset between takes, so it takes an experienced and well prepped stunt team (and an old hand like Razatos) to pull off. I mean, sure, it’s not a one-shot long take, but also it’s not a locked-off shot the way Jackie would do take after take - it’s a reasonably complex shot with a moving camera that looks great!

Overall I thought it was a fantastic action film - modern day Commando ramped to Fast and Furious level.
  • Soooooo some early indications of Prey is that it is excellent.
    Time to temper expectations to not be disappointed just in case.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m with Chump on the flare fight, I thought it was pretty cool, not that I could work out what purpose fighting with a flare served other than looking cool.

I did end up falling asleep during the film and haven’t yet had the urge to go back to it to see what I missed, so I guess outside of that fight, I’m more team Reg.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Its lethal weapon 4. I'm not on any team, its just a totally fine film.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I did really like the
    Spoiler:
    that felt like real good choreography
  • I liked it. 4 John Majors out of 5.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also watched Bob's Burgers movie which was sweet and just a bigger version of an episode with some nice songs. Another nice 3/5
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Also watched Bob's Burgers movie which was sweet and just a bigger version of an episode with some nice songs. Another nice 3/5

I went to the pictures for that. I'm not entirely sure why it exists, but I'm glad it does.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Pretty much that yep
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As long as H Jon Benjamin keeps getting that bread I'm not going to argue tho. Need my can of fruit salad to keep hustling
  • Does he have a delightful conversation with an inaminate object? Hopefully a food item? Where he does a little voice?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!