Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More of a GameCube case guy myself. Those tiny discs were just too much fun and also had the satisfying memory card spot.

You press the centre to release them from the case (don't you?)  Just the way the console works too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Worst cases?

I'm going to say Vita. I did prefer the US style CD case to the chunkier EU ones for PS1. The latter due to so many languages for manuals I assume.
  • DVD cases were fine when we had manuals. Lovely thick ones.

Without them, cases may as well just be disc size.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The cardboard Nintendo ones purely on the basis of longevity.
    Then PAL Dreamcast , made of the most brittle substance known to man while being awkward to open.
    Then probably the early PAL Saturn games with that awful cardboard front.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DVD cases were fine when we had manuals. Lovely thick ones. Without them, cases may as well just be disc size.

Yeah - I long for the days of manuals - but even the JP Saturn games which come in a standard CD case come with a rather nice manual (which doubles as a front cover).
  • davyK wrote:
    The cardboard Nintendo ones purely on the basis of longevity. Then PAL Dreamcast , made of the most brittle substance known to man while being awkward to open. Then probably the early PAL Saturn games with that awful cardboard front.

This.
    I seem to remember Gameboy boxes being particularly difficult to open without creasing the box.
    I do like the little plastic cartridge cases GB games came with though. They made the boxes shelvable without worrying about the games getting damaged as much. Game Gear had these as well.
  • VHS boxes were satisfying, cardboard sleeves less so. Double VHS boxes were monsters. I remember having a Sooty double pack that had the videos side by side, absolute beasts. It was about the size of me when I received it.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I did prefer the US style CD case to the chunkier EU ones for PS1. The latter due to so many languages for manuals I assume.

EU PS1 for me. US ones are basically jewel cases aren't they?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I did prefer the US style CD case to the chunkier EU ones for PS1. The latter due to so many languages for manuals I assume.

Aye - but the EU PS1 cases aren't bad actually. Although later ones felt more flimsy and were more brittle.   JP PS1 are jewel cases so I presume the US ones are too.
  • ompfh4L.jpg

Sorry for what I have done to the film thread. But it's true.

Worst? EU Dreamcast hands down. Things just fell apart. If it wasn't the hinges it was the wee blue bits that held the disc in. Little folds happening to inlays all the time. Nightmare stuff.
  • Also I'll never forgive the old Hamilton branch of Game selling me a copy of Rez on PS2 preowned but it was in a generic black dvd case, not a PS2 case of any kind. And the lovely big letter P in black marker on the disc, manual, and barcode for good measure. Terrorists.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Yeah. First two I bought in the States were THPS and MGS and I just remember them seeming much cooler than the UK ones which had a bit of the Fisher Price to them.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Also I'll never forgive the old Hamilton branch of Game selling me a copy of Rez on PS2 preowned but it was in a generic black dvd case, not a PS2 case of any kind. And the lovely big letter P in black marker on the disc, manual, and barcode for good measure. Terrorists.

For what’s it’s worth, I think all copies came in a black case. I remember mine being in a black case and all the image results for ‘Rez PS2 PAL’ are in black cases.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also I'll never forgive the old Hamilton branch of Game selling me a copy of Rez on PS2 preowned but it was in a generic black dvd case, not a PS2 case of any kind. And the lovely big letter P in black marker on the disc, manual, and barcode for good measure. Terrorists.

Fuck me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    For what’s it’s worth, I think all copies came in a black case. I remember mine being in a black case and all the image results for ‘Rez PS2 PAL’ are in black cases.

Need to check mine.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:

Fuck me.

Some G Force shit right there
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    s-l1200.webp

I miss this stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My dad has that bottom left poster framed in his office because he's probably the best civ player in the world.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think I actually bought a big box copy of Civ II on eBay at one point because I wanted the feelies.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My dad's office is that Civ 2 poster and then mounted copies of every official Pink Floyd studio album. It's chaos.
  • s-l1200.webp I miss this stuff.

Yas. PC was a class above everything when it tried.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • My Rez copy also came in a black case.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just dug out my all time favourite DVD.

It's the Criterion of the Royal Tenenbaums, and I loved it because for years it gave me so much teaching material. The concept of mise-en-scene is writ so large across the initial sketches that it does teach kids that maybe things are placed on screen for a reason. What a beautiful set.

UjTrXm4.jpeg

UFduZj0.jpeg

zlDJfD5.jpeg
  • Physical media is class.
  • Shame about the movie.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think I have that civ ii box somewhere!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Need to check mine.

My PAL copy of Rez on PS2 is a blue case.  It was pre-owned so it could have been swapped I suppose.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Criterion Godzilla BluRay packaging is a lark

QhE2RKB.jpeg
  • I got a copy of showgirls from cex for 50p
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dorty bugger

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!