adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Wish (2023) - This is Disney’s animated effort to celebrate its centenary, which received a mixed reaction and commercially bombed.

I was expecting the worst but even though it isn’t Disney at their best, it’s OK. Unable to reassemble a 2D animation pipeline for just one film, they’ve gone for a half-way house with 3D graphics rendered in a watercolour style that aims to be vaguely reminiscent of the 2D era. I thought it looked bad in the trailer but I ended up not minding it. The backgrounds actually look pretty decent, but it is quite a mixed bag with the characters - sometimes the lighting means they look a bit weird. The colours are also a bit of a mixed bag - sometimes they seem tastefully minimalistic, at other times washed out.

The script, and to some extent the story in general, isn’t that great, with few laughs and little to evoke emotion. The film seems weirdly tied up in its lore and magic system despite these not being particularly complex - many of the song are devoted to explaining things rather than expressing characters’ emotions. It often feels like important information is at risk of being lost in elaborate musical arrangements that make lyrics difficult to parse - there’s a song that tries to explain that all things are basically made of stardust but I think children who aren’t already aware of this will not be any wiser by the end. None of the songs are that memorable.

There are some bright spots. King Magnifico is quite a good villain, being slowly corrupted by power throughout the film instead of just inherently evil. This adds a bit of depth but also allows him to be gratifyingly moustache-twirling as the narrative builds. The film does click into gear for the climax, which I thought was alright.

There are lots of callbacks to previous Disney animations throughout the film and I enjoyed the almost complete run-through of Walt Disney Animation Studios movies during the credits (only a few of the WWII-era package films are excluded).

This should have had a major rethink of the story during development but failing that it’s not too bad - it’s just a shame they ended up commemorating the centenary with a whimper rather than a bang. ★★★☆☆
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Flamin’ Hot (2023) - This is a biopic depicting janitor-turned-marketing executive Richard Montañez’s creation of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos.

This is fun if predictable and a bit meat-and-potatos. Richard Montañez’s claims of creating Flamin’ Hot Cheetos are now discredited but even if they were real, it’s just plainly obvious that huge swathes of this film are made up of flagrant exaggerations and bullshit - even the lies are lies. By the end of the film it starts to feel a bit weird that you’re spending your limited time on this Earth watching a delusional fantasy about the creation of a crisp flavour.

I watched this because it was Oscar nominated for Best Song, but the song is just a forgettable pop tune that plays over the credits.

Overall, OK but it feels like a waste of time watching a biopic that is completely divorced from reality. ★★★☆☆
  • ERE on track to watch 1000 films this year.

I thought The Creator looked good at IMAX, didn't notice any prosumer artefacts or what not. Did notice the lack of cohesive story or emotional stakes though. A shame really as it would have been nice to have a killer new sci fi film made out of the typical Hollywood system and style of filmmaking to make more studios want to change their processes.

Maybe it will give other filmmakers confidence to film in real places anyway for their SFX heavy film.
  • Just in case anyone else has been holding out for a bargain digital only lord of the rings extended uhd version...
    Just picked up the trilogy through xbox store for 12 quid. Has a load of extras too
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Nnnnnnnggg... Want but I also want the actual physical disc for best possible picture quality
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'd be a lot more inclined to do that if there was some means to play it off-console (eg native TV app)

(@ Rambo)
  • Valid points. There's a 'movies everywhere' service I've not looked into properly but links to Microsoft, not sure if there are tv and mobile apps for that.
    Also in terms of quality I figure the xbox has more processing power than any tv app or standalone bluray player but dunno how much that matters with uhd
    Just started fellowship this morning and it looks pretty good to me
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Also in terms of quality I figure the xbox has more processing power than any tv app or standalone bluray player but dunno how much that matters with uhd

XXX

A good standalone Blu-ray player is better than either console, it just depends whether you can be arsed to fork out for one for a fairly incremental upgrade.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    This is the Way the World Ends (Short, 2007) - A brief animated film created to support Southland Tales in the run-up to its release. An octopus tells his son the story of humanity’s extinction. Pretty opaque and there’s not much to it, but inoffensive. ★★★☆☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Southland Tales (2006) - Richard Kelly’s follow-up to Donnie Darko is a hugely ambitious black comedy thriller with heavy political overtones. Unfortunately, its ambition is matched only by its excruciating badness. Characters crank out lines such as [checks notes]:
    This baby processes energy differently.
    COCKCHUGGIN’ 2! IF THIS GETS OUT THE ELECTION IS OVER!
    The soul of a monkey can’t survive the dimensional threshold.
    The fourth dimension will collapse upon itself, you stupid bitch!
    This is a small sample. The movie is largely written like this, as though Richard Kelly had a bizarre competition with himself to come up with the most ridiculous movie line he could think of.

The movie has an uncomfortable relationship with the three-volume prequel graphic novels that form a core part of the saga (title cards throughout the film make it explicitly clear that it forms Chapters IV to VI of a story that is incomplete if you merely watch the film). Read them and the film’s frequent lapses into exposition to explain the lore become a frustration and some of the backstory is recounted during the story anyway. Don’t read them and the context of the opening is lost and the opportunity to be adequately prepared for the film’s onslaught of endless sub-characters and sub-plots is squandered.

The movie has a weird pre-occupation with sex. Along with endless references to 69, at one point the characters watch Sarah Michelle Gellar perform in the music video for her single Teenage Horniness is Not a Crime and an advert for a car features a bizarre animation of the vehicles literally having weird car sex. For the ‘European market’ apparently.

There’s precisely zero characterisation or emotional content throughout the film, partly because it’s too busy cycling through endless characters or distracted by lore that never comes together to serve any sort of purpose. It’s sort of full of ideas at the exclusion of anything else but I couldn’t tell you what any of those ideas are actually supposed to be. An epic swing and an equally epic miss, the film is terrible but also terribly fascinating like the aftermath of a gory motor accident. ★☆☆☆☆
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nailed it. Just utter madness of a movie.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Started watching Phantom Thread last night. It's on iPlayer.

Picked it because of Daniel Day Lewis - had never heard of this.  Was late and I was getting tired so I switched off after about 40mins but I was enjoying it.  Will return to it tonight. Quite quirky and a splendid cast in support. Looks immaculate too - almost has a Wes Anderson look to it without the pastel shades.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    And some sausages.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Not quite on a par with "I... drink... your... milkshake!", but never-the-less an excellent line.
  • Farewell My Concubine is coming to the Criterion Collection in 4K!!!  So excited to watch this again!

https://www.criterion.com/films/34098-farewell-my-concubine
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Is it good? The box is nice.
  • One of my favourite films. One of three that changed my film-viewing habits. The other two being The Godfather and Seven Samurai. Xmas 98 terrestrial TV. What a time.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Blackhat (2015) - Chris Hemsworth plays an incredibly buff computer hacker (he did ‘a programme’ in prison, the buffness is explained, IT’S EXPLAINED!!) who is given the opportunity to commute his sentence if he can use his hacking skills for good to take down a bad guy.

It looks quite nice in 4K with some deep colours in indoor scenes and bright highlights outside, including some nice neon. Apparently it uses some kind of weird shutter angle, which makes motion look kinda bad. The sound is really good and makes you feel like you’re really being shot at.

This provoked mixed reactions at the time, although some people are really keen on it. I thought it was unengaging and dull. There isn’t really any characterisation and the plot just limps from A to B. There’s surprisingly little action - what’s there is quite nice it’s just a shame there isn’t more considering there isn’t much to engage otherwise.

There are some Hackers-esque computery effects sequences at the start but otherwise it’s disappointingly dissimilar and is just a vaguely hacking themed, extremely generic thriller. It cost $70 million to make but the money isn’t really on the screen. I would recommend watching Hackers for some cult hacking action and the Extraction films (with the caveat I haven’t seen the second one yet) on Netflix for some Hemsworth doing actual thriller stuff instead. ★★☆☆☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Farewell My Concubine is coming to the Criterion Collection in 4K!!!  So excited to watch this again!

https://www.criterion.com/films/34098-farewell-my-concubine

Oh thank god, they’re doing a 4K of Perfect Days too - might be US only but at least I have a region-free player now.
  • I’m gonna watch that on Mubi first.
    4K discs releases are all region free. The Bluray that comes with it might be region locked though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m gonna watch that on Mubi first.
    4K discs releases are all region free. The Bluray that comes with it might be region locked though.

I went to bed after posting this and before I went to sleep was like “Wait! All 4Ks are region free!” Ah well, that’s good though, at least the 4K will play on anything. I was really gutted it seemed not to be getting a 4K.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Back to Black (2024) - To be honest, the only reason I went to see this is because Nick Cave and Warren Ellis did the score. Whoops!! There’s hardly any original music in this except for the end credits song, which I could have just listened to on streaming services.

Amy Winehouse is an aspiring singer. She is very maternal and hates drugs. Her career starts to take off and she meets Blake Fielder-Civil, who takes cocaine but is lovely. Their relationship is turbulent despite their mutual loveliness. She is very maternal and takes heroin for some innocent reason, perhaps because she is possessed by a ghost. They are very lovely and everyone around them is lovely, apart from the violence and drugs and stuff. At one point Blake Fielder-Civil is arrested and jailed for a violent crime, which is a surprise because he is unremittingly lovely. She is very maternal and is still taking heroin, perhaps because she is still possessed by the ghost. Blake realises in jail that they are toxic codependents, which is a surprise to hear as they are both lovely. It is also a surprise to hear that Blake has broken their mutual habit of self-harm because this has been previously undepicted in the film. He decides to divorce. Later, Amy hears from a paparazzo that Blake is having a baby with someone else. She is very maternal and sings a melancholy song a cappella while looking in a mirror then drinks herself to death. The end.

This is a stealth jukebox musical with many songs depicted at length or in largely complete form. It is clear the filmmakers wished they were making a film about less complicated people. Amy’s class-A drug problems are brushed under the carpet to the maximum extent possible without being transparently absurd given their fame. Two complicated and controversial men in her life, her father Mitch and Blake, are very straightforward in this film. It is hard to reconcile the Blake in this film with the real-life figure who was jailed for violent crimes and apparently came across very badly in the previous documentary on Amy. Amy’s life often feels disjoined because so much of the film is given to complete renderings of her songs instead of her life story.

Marisa Abela and Jack O’Connell are very good as Amy and Blake. The story is competently produced apart from the wonkiness and the film’s very obviously problematic relationship with real life.

I suspect a lot of people will be happy watching a jukebox musical loosely hung around the shape of a biopic. The film seemed to have drawn in a casual cinema going audience and people seemed satisfied as I was leaving. If you want to watch an actual good film or a film that is very effective as a biopic then perhaps this isn’t the one. ★★★☆☆
  • Sounds lovely.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • This is how biopics of musicians work now, haven’t you seen Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman? Both lovely films about lovely young men who definitely didn’t have any serious problems. And Amy Winehouse is now lovely Amy, Queen of Our Hearts, and definitely didn’t have any dark side or depression or drug problems or self-destructive drinking habits or complex relationships with men who despised her talent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd rather watch the Amy bio-doc. Can't see how something like this would add anything that isn't dancing on her grave.  It's too soon.
  • poprock wrote:
    This is how biopics of musicians work now, haven’t you seen Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman? Both lovely films about lovely young men who definitely didn’t have any serious problems. And Amy Winehouse is now lovely Amy, Queen of Our Hearts, and definitely didn’t have any dark side or depression or drug problems or self-destructive drinking habits or complex relationships with men who despised her talent.
    I think Rocketman gets away with it by being 'fantastical' (?) enough to let you know it's not trying to tell a straight story, rather than playing it straight like Bo Rap.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    You could argue that unofficial biopics, there was one about Bowie wasn’t there, could fill the gap between these airbrushed biopics and reality. Likely without the music, which is the draw for most folks though.

Could replace original music with shreds to add a few laughs during the drug/booze/depression scenes.
    Things can only get better.
  • poprock wrote:
    This is how biopics of musicians work now, haven’t you seen Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman? Both lovely films about lovely young men who definitely didn’t have any serious problems. And Amy Winehouse is now lovely Amy, Queen of Our Hearts, and definitely didn’t have any dark side or depression or drug problems or self-destructive drinking habits or complex relationships with men who despised her talent.
    I think Rocketman gets away with it by being 'fantastical' (?) enough to let you know it's not trying to tell a straight story, rather than playing it straight like Bo Rap.

From what I remember of Rocketman, it's also pretty upfront on his drug use and him going off the rails
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - This is the film adaptation of the popular Atari 2600 game of the same name. This is very unfaithful to the game - E.T. does not fall down a single hole in the entirety of the film. As a fan of the videogame, I was very disappointed in this. ★☆☆☆☆

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!