Game 'Narrative'. Let's get this boxed off.
  • One of the best instances of congruence between scenario, mechanics, the whole shebang, is A Mind Forever Voyaging, which works principally because you're playing the role of a computer exploring a virtual space that's trying to model a series of socio-economic what-ifs and reporting back your findings.

If that were updated to a visually rendered version you could make with all the HUD cruft and crutches you need to make life easier for designers, and it'd still probably work because the 'player' isn't asked to pretend to be more than a machine.

But you'd struggle to make an E3 press confo showboating video for it, and that has serious implication for how much resource you'd get to chuck at the project.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    'the way in which a series of events is laid out', then games can be great at it.

But that in itself if a limiting definition that fails to cover all of the different ways that games and narrative intersect. What about games that don't lay any events out but which I still create stories in, for instance?
  • Emergent narratives seem like a false hope to me.

Interesting narratives can grow without structure, like something in eve online, but for every giant war there must be a million stories of a man pooling around selling spice for 5 percent more than he bought it for.

Invariably most people end up in the more boring category.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    'the way in which a series of events is laid out', then games can be great at it.
    But that in itself if a limiting definition that fails to cover all of the different ways that games and narrative intersect. What about games that don't lay any events out but which I still create stories in, for instance?
    That would be unique and emergent story telling. That counts.
  • Finding the breadcrumbs of a story that's already happened is a good one. You can't guarantee that the player will find all the crumbs or that they'll find them in a set order. It can be electrifying finding the piece that makes all the others make sense.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • 'Telling' is the word to dispense with. The relationship there is too loaded to be useful.

I'd maintain that context/scenario writing (and then presentation) is distinct from it.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Finding the breadcrumbs of a story that's already happened is a good one. You can't guarantee that the player will find all the crumbs or that they'll find them in a set order. It can be electrifying finding the piece that makes all the others make sense.
    Dark Souls does that very well.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    Finding the breadcrumbs of a story that's already happened is a good one. You can't guarantee that the player will find all the crumbs or that they'll find them in a set order. It can be electrifying finding the piece that makes all the others make sense.

Aye, games can do that well. Skyrim has a load of those, just shit out in the world, a few corpses, letters and what not and boom, a story happened.
  • Finding the breadcrumbs of a story that's already happened is a good one. You can't guarantee that the player will find all the crumbs or that they'll find them in a set order. It can be electrifying finding the piece that makes all the others make sense.
    Dark Souls does that very well.

Honestly the only thing that bothers me about DkS games as fiction is the reliance on numbers and meters. If the scenario was a blatantly sci-fi one, where numerical assessment is something you'd expect to find and indeed would enhance the atmosphere, I'd probably be happier.

At least they didn't make with minimaps.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    'Telling' is the word to dispense with. The relationship there is too loaded to be useful.

I'd maintain that context/scenario writing (and then presentation) is distinct from it.

True, but the issue for me is that most games (even the sacred HL2) choose not to dispense with it, neither as a descriptor for what they're doing, nor as a way to approach the job itself.
  • Well again, it's fruitless to expect them to. They don't really have a free hand, past a certain scale of financial backing.
  • The mute protagonist thing doesn't work past games like Zelda. Once they start looking more like films, it's just fucking weird to have a guy not talk and everyone else be just fine with it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Besides, there aren't enough film trailers made to keep all the gravel-voiced voice actors in work.
  • Player actions that combine with the told story to make it more than the cutscene/dialogue would be on their own. Dragon Quest IX is a good example. As the player you do the usual hero stuff, like exploring dungeons, fighting monsters and finding the treasure, in order to help people in the various towns and villages. But while you save them from these fantasy dangers, you can't save them from ordinary life, as people die from illness, accidents and other normal tragedies. It changes the meaning of your acts, and defines the limits of being a hero. It's also a great touch that the main character is an immortal observer of human life, charged with guarding them against dangers. And then when the grand narrative finally kicks in, it puts all the death into perspective again by showing the potential torment of immortality.

I should play it again actually. It's really good.
  • That does read like a successful recognition of what cutscenery means at a structural level and working that back into the whole. Rare.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    The mute protagonist thing doesn't work past games like Zelda. Once they start looking more like films, it's just fucking weird to have a guy not talk and everyone else be just fine with it.

I think this was one of my big stumbling blocks with Half Life 2.
    Having people talking at you while you sit there mute is just plain strange.

In Zelda it is one step removed anyway as the dialogue is all written,  the way they talk is often as if Link has replied.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hellz yeah.  To be fair, dead wife was fucking hilarious and effectively entertaining.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Brooks wrote:
    'Telling' is the word to dispense with. The relationship there is too loaded to be useful. I'd maintain that context/scenario writing (and then presentation) is distinct from it.

I said it in one of the other threads: games with exposition to drive the story are worse for it.

To me, the better stories in games are scant on details, yet the world and the context of the environment tell much of the tale implicitly.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    With the exception of Gears Of War, stories in games are usually sub standard

WUHT? This is a troll yes?
    Just to be clear, Gears is the worst of every element of game stories. Bad plot, bad script, bad characters, badly told in a bad way.

• Skerret wrote:
    Hellz yeah.  To be fair, dead wife was fucking hilarious and effectively entertaining.
    I thought it fitted in brilliantly with the overall tone of repressed homosexuality. The sense of relief when he has to kill her is palpable, and he can finally rejoin the boys and be himself, without the denial or guilt that was previously weighing hm down.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    The mute protagonist thing doesn't work past games like Zelda. Once they start looking more like films, it's just fucking weird to have a guy not talk and everyone else be just fine with it.

I think this was one of my big stumbling blocks with Half Life 2.
    Having people talking at you while you sit there mute is just plain strange.

In Zelda it is one step removed anyway as the dialogue is all written,  the way they talk is often as if Link has replied.

You could just have the character say "I am groot" a lot.
  • I haven't played much of Oddworld : Stranger's Wrath, but did maybe the first hour of it round at a friend's house when it came first came out on Oldbox. Looked like it was trying something interesting with the protagonist being as thick as pigshit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Funny you should mention that as it's one of the few games I've played that managed to have an interesting (at least in parts) story in it, even if it was presented through cutscenes. Usually games manage terrible stories told in terrible ways. SW bucked half that trend.
  • I think I've got it as a PS+ shame piler. I might start that tonight.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    'Tis an excellent game.
  • SW also has one of the most memorable plot moments in games, and it changes the game itself. Great example of a good bit of story crafting.

I also think that even excluding all the pretentious stuff, there are some examples of straightforward high quality cutscene storytelling in games.  I mean, barring the script (which could easily be improved), Final Fantasy VII is streets ahead of most fantasy films. Its characters, plot, locations, sense of adventure, emotional weight and tacked on environmental message are the sorts of things Hollywood writers can only dream of. And then you also get to fuck around with materia.
  • I think I actually have that and never played it too. Was it a PS Plus freebie? If so it's gone with my sub...
  • It'll come back if you sub again. At least all of my stuff has both times I've lapsed. Idk if it's changed with Sony's innumerable tos changes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!