adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just throwing it out there but does it matter if some of it goes over his head? I think that's quite nice, he can read his treasured copy that he got for Christmas when he was 8 as an adult and find whole new levels of depth in it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Fair play!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Alternatively, get him Grant Morrisons Justice League and give him the best versions of all of those characters.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Alternatively, get him saga volume 4 and try and explain a baby with a TV head coming out of a vagina on the first page.

Your choice.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I enjoyed the New 52 stuff I read, particularly Detective Comics. Batman versus gangsters, not super powered aliens. Delicious.

But 52 titles was always going to be a push. I mean, Blue Beetle? I'm alright, ta.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Frosty wrote:

East of West I have been enjoying a fair bit. It's a science fiction Western set in a dystopian version of the United States whose fate revolves around the four horseman.

First 2 thirds of vol 1 done. Definitely got something to it.

May well continue.

Also, somehow never knew there was a Bookstore next to RMIT that is super hard left. Should have known.

It has all the pinko commie shit and I nearly went ham in there yesterday.

Came out with an interesting book on history.

But re this thread, also came out with this....

https://www.popmatters.com/operation-ajax-illustrates-how-the-cia-destroyed-democracy-in-iran-2495484101.html

Looks pretty amazing.
  • When I was over in Chicago earlier this Summer, I got back into comic books. Got myself the entire Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo run on Batman and it's all rather good, but especially The Court of Owls stuff which is neck and neck with Long Halloween for my all time favourite Batman title! I hear that they're thinking of doing it in a game? Anyway, if you haven't read it yet, give it a go!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    When I was over in Chicago earlier this Summer, I got back into comic books. Got myself the entire Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo run on Batman and it's all rather good, but especially The Court of Owls stuff which is neck and neck with Long Halloween for my all time favourite Batman title! I hear that they're thinking of doing it in a game? Anyway, if you haven't read it yet, give it a go!

Yeah, I really love the Snyder/Capullo run. I'm really interested in Snyder's new title as well - 'Undiscovered Country', which looks amazing.
  • Has anyone been following Gideon Falls? It's pretty awesome.
  • Gremill wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    When I was over in Chicago earlier this Summer, I got back into comic books. Got myself the entire Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo run on Batman and it's all rather good, but especially The Court of Owls stuff which is neck and neck with Long Halloween for my all time favourite Batman title! I hear that they're thinking of doing it in a game? Anyway, if you haven't read it yet, give it a go!
    Yeah, I really love the Snyder/Capullo run. I'm really interested in Snyder's new title as well - 'Undiscovered Country', which looks amazing.
    Yeah I'm definitely going to check it out.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Finished operation Ajax.

Good read. Still very American, in the sense it's told from perspective of someone who's innocent view of us was shattered by the story, and that there's a golden past to get back to.

Also, all dialogue is in English, and very American syntax which jars a little, I realise trying to do bad accents and broken English has its own problems, but it reads like Chernobyl etc, (except American accents for everyone, regardless of where they're from, as opposed to English accents for Russians.)

Still, the basic facts and the way it played out are laid out well, and finishing with photos and the copy of the actual plan is strong.

Back to saga next.
  • Reading 'Dark Knights: Metal' by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo - which is a big DC 'event' story in the tradition of Crisis, Final Crisis etc.

Except, instead of going for the sombre, serious gritty tone of former events, Snyder has gone all in on the absurdities of what makes superhero comics such a stupid but joyous genre.

I'm only about a third of the way through it but featured so far have been about 7 different versions of Batman, 4 different versions of Superman, the rest of the Justice League, the multiverse, the Dark Multiverse, Plastic Man (except he's a giant egg), multiple evil cannibal zombie Robins (the Damien version), an interdimensional pub run by a chimp and a cockney Knight, Sandman, Superman getting his arse handed to him at least 6 times, Deathstroke breaking the 4th wall and doing his best Deadpool impression and the end of the world at least 3 times.

It's an utter joy to read if you like this sort of thing and the artwork is sublime.
  • Damn, I need to get on this! Thanks Gremill!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Damn, I need to get on this! Thanks Gremill!

Seconded.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Has anyone read the sequels to Watchmen? I completely forgot they existed until I recently finished copying a drawing of Rorschach that I though was a Dave Gibbons cover, but turned out to be from 'Doomsday Clock' - one of the 'recent' sequels.

I did a wee bit of digging on it and there seems to be a cross over with the main DC universe, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • I heard nothing but bad things about it, there’s plenty else out there to be getting on with I reckon
  • I've just had a quick read through of the Wiki, and man, that sounds like a car crash.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Alan Moore is a fan.
  • I mean, does New York even exist in the DC universe?
  • Yes. Nightwing used to be based there.
  • Infinite bollocks
  • I thought Nightwing went to Bludhaven.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Has anyone read the sequels to Watchmen? I completely forgot they existed...

Me too, until you mentioned them.

Talking about New York in the DC universe, I was under the assumption that it doesn't exist. But Metropolis is meant to be NYC during the day, while Gotham is at night.

Bludhaven is what, New Jersey or some shit? ;)
  • Bludhaven is in NJ, nearish to Gotham. Nightwing has also been there, but he's been fucking everywhere.
  • Metropolis is New York and Gotham is Chicago is how I always thought it was supposed to be.
  • That’s really how it should be. They seem to have all the fictional cities piled on top of the regular cities.
  • They do. There's also shit like Coast City, Star City National City and Central City to contend with all of which have also been located fucking everywhere. Star City is now actually Seattle since DC's latest reboot bollocks.

Given the size of some of these places, the US population must be at least twice what it actually is.
  • Rereading Hawkeye, my life as a weapon, and oh my word, its still totally glorious and makes me hate Age of Ultron for what they did to the character
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!