Official Nintendo Magazine is no more
  • Haha, I literally just posted that on the previous page

Edit: actually I take that back, yours are for a specific month.

Ooo I found sales data for the mags...

All sales are average per month in 2013 with the decline from the previous year.

Official Xbox 360 Magazine 35,961 -20.6%
    Official Nintendo Magazine 18,743 -26.6%
    PC Gamer 19,125 -10.1%
    Playstation Official 27,758 -8.1%
    Edge 14,351 -14.8%
    Games Master 16,660 -10.5%
    Games TM 12,619 0.1%

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/uk-magazines-lose-print-sales-average-63-cent-full-abc-breakdown-all-503-titles

Games TM was the only one to increase in sales, be it only 0.1%
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So ONM folds with 5000 more readers than Edge has...
  • They're both the same period, but yours are print specific. Mine include digital versions. Including digital versions, Edge has 1,300 more readers than ONM, which again to me says why not do a frigging digital version rather than close it?

Digital readers:

Edge: 6,134
    PC Gamer: 2,929
    Official PlayStation: 2,215
    Official Xbox: 1,558
    GamesMaster: 832

So yeah actually, Gamesmaster isn't long for this world. The weird thing is that since Edge has such vast digital numbers, why have they effectively closed the website?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Or else it says Edge is also frigged.
  • JonB wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A company like Nintendo, who (as discussed elsewhere recently) tend to set the bar higher than many for quality, should've bucked tradition and offered their official magazine review copies double early.  How many flagship Nintendo titles end up with a poor Metacritic rating?  Wouldn't have done them any harm to have their games reviewed in the issue before launch, however many weeks that might be, and may have kept the magazine afloat.
    Truth is, that's still not a lot of games - just a few a year really with the current Nintendo hardware. Besides, it's perhaps better they don't stay afloat if it's going to be based on questionable over-hyped exclusive reviews.

This is true, I didn't really think that one through. 

The Gamesmaster sales are a good indication that kids aren't really buying mags these days either.  It comes with stickers, fake videogame tattoos or posters (and so on) every month.  I just assumed even though the magazine is poor it was the one all the pre-teens bought.
  • They get all their info from YouTube these days - Yogscast, AngryJoe, TotalBiscuit, PewDiePie, other random vloggers now owned by big parent companies who have identified the money in them thar hills.
  • I remember when the mags use to print the previous months sales on the editorial page. Seem to remember OPM hitting 500k and N64 200k on a regualr basis (could be a bit off there though) and that was with multiple options on the market.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The weird thing is that since Edge has such vast digital numbers, why have they effectively closed the website?
    Your definition of the word vast would seem to differ from mine.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Tempy wrote:
    They get all their info from YouTube these days - Yogscast, AngryJoe, TotalBiscuit, PewDiePie, other random vloggers now owned by big parent companies who have identified the money in them thar hills.
    Is it just my cynical mind, or is there some huge underage sex scandals going to be coming from this lot at some point, there's murmurings here and there that these youtubers aren't the nicest bunch of people in the world.
    The influence these guys have is scary.  I'm also incredibly jealous, a few years ago whilst running my shite podcast, I was years ahead of this lot not thinking for one second it could ever lead to mega fame and riches.

Total was a brilliant mag, as was Super Play.  The unofficial Nintendo from the Gamecube era was good fun too, NGC I think?
    ---
    PSN - radioninty
    Lego, Labour & Resogun
  • darkglobe wrote:
    Total was a brilliant mag, as was Super Play.  The unofficial Nintendo from the Gamecube era was good fun too, NGC I think?

Yeah, basically that mag changed name with each system, it went:
    Super Play > N64 Magazine > NGC Magazine > NGamer > Nintendo Gamer which was then merged with the official one a couple of years ago.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 26k readers total!?!
    Fucking give it up.
  • darkglobe wrote:
    Yeah, basically that mag changed name with each system, it went: Super Play > N64 Magazine > NGC Magazine > NGamer > Nintendo Gamer which was then merged with the official one a couple of years ago.
    Ahh, that makes sense.  NGamer was good too, had some great import features and reviews, especially useful for the DS at that time.  Also remember that one giving the amazing Puzzle Series 5 : Slitherlink a perfect score, which it thoroughly deserved as it was ace.  I need a new Slitherlink game, I know Nicolis do an iPad app with them but alas, I don't have an iPad.
    ---
    PSN - radioninty
    Lego, Labour & Resogun
  • darkglobe wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    They get all their info from YouTube these days - Yogscast, AngryJoe, TotalBiscuit, PewDiePie, other random vloggers now owned by big parent companies who have identified the money in them thar hills.
    Is it just my cynical mind, or is there some huge underage sex scandals going to be coming from this lot at some point, there's murmurings here and there that these youtubers aren't the nicest bunch of people in the world. The influence these guys have is scary.  I'm also incredibly jealous, a few years ago whilst running my shite podcast, I was years ahead of this lot not thinking for one second it could ever lead to mega fame and riches. Total was a brilliant mag, as was Super Play.  The unofficial Nintendo from the Gamecube era was good fun too, NGC I think?

Not your cynical mind at all, accusations are already flying among lower level YouTube stars, whether the bigger players are decent human beings who knows, would make a nice change though.
  • g.man wrote:
    The weird thing is that since Edge has such vast digital numbers, why have they effectively closed the website?
    Your definition of the word vast would seem to differ from mine.

Official Xbox is the biggest selling print mag. Edge has nearly 4 times as many digital readers. It's the 5th best selling digital mag in all of Future's portfolio. Vast was in comparison to it's competition.
  • ...but still minuscule.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I am pretty sure Edge has a smaller reader base than the John Lewis internal magazine.
  • g.man wrote:
    ...but still minuscule.

Which wasn't ever the point.
  • Readers ain't the same as sales though. Imagine that a lot end up in the coffee rooms of largish firms getting 10+ eyes per mag.
  • Not much good to the magazine when they're only getting one payment for it though.
  • Readers ain't the same as sales though. Imagine that a lot end up in the coffee rooms of largish firms getting 10+ eyes per mag.
    Tell that to the Future board memebers.
  • If they can prove that get more views and the views are from people making fucktonnes of money then they can be attractive to advertisers.

They probably make money from their region specific articles and cover articles.

Consider the demographic for the Nintendo magazine: zero money kids and no general penetration.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A company like Nintendo, who (as discussed elsewhere recently) tend to set the bar higher than many for quality, should've bucked tradition and offered their official magazine review copies double early.  How many flagship Nintendo titles end up with a poor Metacritic rating?  Wouldn't have done them any harm to have their games reviewed in the issue before launch, however many weeks that might be, and may have kept the magazine afloat.

I think the reason for all this embargo stuff in the first place is, IIRC, that if you let people review too early people get excited before the game is available and then that excitement has already faded by the time the thing comes out.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • There's probably something in that, but it didn't work like that when we were young.  When Sonic 3 was reviewed I was fully immersed in the anticipation.  By the time I clicked it into my cartridge slot a few months later I'd lathered myself into such a frenzy I was probably seeing babies crawling across ceiling.

Reviewing a game after little Jimmy's pre-order copy has arrived is a sorry state of affairs imo, whatever the reason.
  • Todays attention spans are a bit shorter though aren't they. What with so many different forms of media (from traditional right through to social media) people can get over saturated with information on a product and lose interest before it's even released.
  • It's true, it's just not as good as the good ole days.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's true, it's just not as good as the good ole days.

Damn straight
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The internet publicity machine is so pervasive and slick now it makes what magazines used to do superfluous. Just putting a new trailer out for your game will see it on every game site and forum within hours with an audience of millions. 

It also makes it virtually impossible for anything to live up to its hype.
  • i do love a good 'reminisce about games mags' thread.

Total was the best ninty mag....but of course Your Sinclair was still the bestest.  And Amiga Power towards the end of the Amiga's life was very funny as they just filled the pages with whatever they fancied.
    Other than Edge, which i eventually ditched a few months ago, i don't think i'd bought another games mag since NGC days...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • There is another reason of course.

In the days of carts games were finished months before they were available for punters to buy.

Now they aren't finished until the day one patch has been installed.
  • WorKid wrote:
    There is another reason of course.

In the days of carts games were finished months before they were available for punters to buy.

Now they aren't finished until the day one patch has been installed.

That's an interesting point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!