Reasons to be cheerful
  • I'm actually just a c**t

• griff can't count lol
  • I got an extra €5 in change one day and returned it a couple of hours later as I couldn't face having the young fella getting into trouble hanging over me.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • i once used cashback on the self serve tills to get £20, then forgot and left it in the machine. Went back later and someone had handed it in and i was able to get the money.
    i remember at the time thinking "i'm glad wookie doesn't shop here" but I didn't know why then, but now i do ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I remember a weird period a few years back when it wasn't safe to hand wallets in at police stations.  The unofficial advice was 'just place them on the top of nearby bushes or walls'.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Why was it not safe?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Because Wookie was working in the police then.
  • Oh har har har. You lot are very witty
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • A head hanging in shame weighs slightly more than eight pounds.
  • Would you like to hear about the time I met Wookie?

It must’ve been about 7, 8 years ago. Me and the little lady was out on this boat you see, all alone at night. All of a sudden this giant no-panted creature comes out of the water. It stood above us looking down with these big red eyes. I yelled “what do you want from us Monster?” And he bent down and said “I need about eight-fiddy”. I said “I ain’t givin you no eight-fiddy, you god damn pantless monster. Get your own goddamn money!”

And so he went off to a self checkout to do just that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Last night a plumber saved my life.

I remember when I bought this flat, after getting the keys and wandering round my new home, standing in the toilet room, and thinking, this is quite nice, but how the hell do you access the cistern and all the piping if and when something goes wrong?
    So as the Gods are always listening...something went wrong about a week ago.
    Everything behind the toilet bowl is boxed into the wall. I'll bet whatever idiot built it was very pleased with themselves, but fuck me, did it ever cross their mind that you might need complete access to what is behind their handiwork? No.

So I had a drip. A loud, big drip. I'll spare the tedious details, but the cistern was leaking out the bottom at the water intake pipe, and unless you were Mr Fantastic, there really was fuck all access to this.
    I was resigned to having to rip the whole thing out and have an almighty bill having it all put right, and as I'm off on business next week for a fortnight, the timing was a nightmare.

So I got the Checkatrade pamphlet that came through the door a while back and called a plumber last Friday. Chap sounded really nice, but was busy doing a kitchen install...but not too far from me.
    So the bottom line, after he hummed and hawed for a bit, the chap said, look I'll pop in on Monday evening on my way home from this job, and see what I can do.

I then spend the weekend dismantling the toilet room to try and make as much access as possible. This was an exercise in pure frustration. I ended up with a room full of bits of wood, piles of screws, shelves, you name it, I removed it.
    None of this, of course, made the slightest difference to accessing the cistern. I was convinced the whole lot would have to be ripped out and rebuilt from scratch.

So John the plumber arrives last night. It's seven o'clock and he's done a full shift elsewhere already, but he's a lovely chap, and he clearly knows his stuff, so I leave him to it with the instruction of whatever you need to do, do it, but let's do it once, and do it right.

Long story short. Three hours he's in there, while I sit in the next room like an expectant father.

...and he's only gone and bloody fixed it! ...with the absolute bare minimum of mess.

This man is a God amongst men!

He finishes up, and it's well after ten o'clock now, so I ask him the million dollar question...
    How much do I owe you?

Tell you what mate, I'll waive the call-out fee, and just charge you for the time I was here. I charge £35 an hour, and there's a few quid for the new parts I've put in the cistern, so let's call it £135.

I'm fucking speechless.

It's Bank Holiday Monday. This guy has been at it solidly for three hours. It's after ten at night, and all he wants is £135.

I prostrate myself humbly on the floor in front of him, and bestow him with a thousand blessings.

Truly this man is an actual living legend.

It takes me a further three hours into the night to rebuild all the fecking woodwork in the loo room I'd stripped out earlier, but I'm now back in business. Get in!

So. A big salute, and a glass raised, to the few honest tradesmen still out there, plying their trade above and beyond the call of duty, doing the Lord's work, and putting smiles back on their clients faces.

PROPER JOB.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You're welcome mate.
  • Plot Twist: 

Plumber installed a bunch of cameras in the room while G was outside. Didn't worry about the money as he'll be making that money back selling voyeur vids to travelling Saudi businessmen with a mature Scot Fox fetish.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Safe house for stashing heroin, lads.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This tale of a plumber did not go in the usual direction. Result!
  • b0r1s wrote:
    This tale of a plumber did not go in the usual direction. Result!
    Indeed. This could have gone completely pear-shaped very quickly, because a lesser man could easily have stroked his chin and said, there's no access to that, all the woodwork and paneling will need to be ripped out and replaced, leaving me with a bill of thousands of pounds to have it all put right.
  • Plot Twist:  Plumber installed a bunch of cameras in the room while G was outside. Didn't worry about the money as he'll be making that money back selling voyeur vids to travelling Saudi businessmen with a mature Scot Fox fetish.
    I'm fine with that. A small price to pay. 
    My bathroom Buddha is now back on his shelf and smiling again. :)
  • I've taken the bottle of ketchup out the loo room and put it elsewhere tho...
  • Every good bathroom should have access for at least one snorkel wearing piss fetishist.
  • That's a great post G and I'm so pleased it all worked out so nicely for you!

Always nice to have some good news
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm quite disappointed the story didn't end with a redemption line of "and that plumber was Wookie!"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Wouldn't let that light fingered swine in your hoose
  • I'd have also taken the time to bake him a nice fresh loaf of bread
  • Lies. You would've pinched a loaf.
  • Not in a leaking toilet
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When you find a good 'un one's faith in humanity takes a wee boost.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Shoe on the other foot, I bet g was a dream customer for the fella. Explained the problem, cleared as much access as he could, got the fuck out of the way.

Shame about the jobby bobbing about in the pan like, but you can't have everything
  • Aye, very much that, but without the jobby in the pan. :)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You hear so many horror stories of tradesman ripping off unwary pensioners, I'm glad this went the other way.

*runs*

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!