The robots are coming. Restructure the economy. Go.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    To do the stuff we do. We’ve shaped the world around us.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • poprock wrote:
    Humanoid robots have always been a dumb idea, if you ask me. Humans are a fucking ridiculous design. Why on earth would you want robots to be the same shape? Make the robots better shapes for their given tasks.

The only reason to make a humanoid robot is to prove that you can. Because it’s really really difficult and obscenely expensive.

Sex bots pop, sex bots.
  • Imagine AI sexbots going an a murderous killing spree after networking with their fellow bots.. Now there's an idea for a horror movie/satirical comedy.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • To do the stuff we do. We’ve shaped the world around it us.
    Sex bots pop, sex bots.

Same reply to both of you: People will always be cheaper. We need robots to do the things we can’t do, not the things we can.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Nope.
  • I told you they were first in line. Because.....human fucking nature.
  • The thing is I’m not even disagreeing with SG. But his timeline is batshit. 
    ALL JOBS (except teaching) GONE in 20 YEARS. You can’t build that many robots in that space of time. 

A list of jobs that I’ve done off the top of head that can’t, won’t and / or people will not allow to be automated within the next 20 years. They may change, there may be less of them but they will still exist and humans will be doing them. 
    Spoiler:

If your job, like mine, is sitting at a desk typing at a computer all day, producing all-digital output, then prepare your anus. Because you don’t have 20 years left in your profession. First the tools will change, then the data of all the things you do in the process will be harvested, then AI will be doing more and more of what’s left of your job, then you’re gone. I assume other jobs will be created but ???

Beyond 20 years, all bets are off. Once an AI android can be given a job and design and build another AI android to fulfill it, it’s done. Everything is sci-fi from then on. An autonomous factory that builds autonomous factories that it ships using supply routes it controls, and assembles itself at the other end, and then starts building more stuff, or farming, mining etc.
  • Yeah, its not about cost.
  • monkey wrote:
    The thing is I’m not even disagreeing with SG. But his timeline is batshit.  ALL JOBS (except teaching) GONE in 20 YEARS. You can’t build that many robots in that space of time.  A list of jobs that I’ve done off the top of head that can’t, won’t and / or people will not allow to be automated within the next 20 years. They may change, there may be less of them but they will still exist and humans will be doing them. 
    Spoiler:
    If your job, like mine, is sitting at a desk typing at a computer all day, producing all digital output, then prepare your anus. Because you don’t have 20 years left in your profession. First the tools will change, then the data of all the things you do in the process will be harvested, then AI will be doing more and more of what’s left of your job, then you’re gone. I assume other jobs will be created but ??? Beyond 20 years, all bets are off. Once an AI android can be given a job and design and build another AI android to fulfill it, it’s done. Everything is sci-fi from then on. An autonomous factory that builds autonomous factories that it ships using supply routes it controls, and assembles itself at the other end, and then starts building more stuff, or farming, mining etc.

20 yrs is a long time in AI. The bet is a Twix.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Also I said nearly all current careers.
  • monkey wrote:
    Beyond 20 years, all bets are off. Once an AI android can be given a job and design and build another AI android to fulfill it, it’s done. Everything is sci-fi from then on. An autonomous factory that builds autonomous factories that it ships using supply routes it controls, and assembles itself at the other end, and then starts building more stuff, or farming, mining etc.

Contrary to what Dante says above though, this one is about cost. There are limits to resources. Even the ultra-smart AI can’t keep building stuff out of nothing.
  • I was talking about sex bots, I agree with what monkey said.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Imagine a human paid as much as that robot costs.

Imagine not having to do repetitive, dirty or dangerous work for peanuts. At scale, humanoid robots will cost less than cars.

Great in theory.

If we were all vegan how many chickens do you think there would be on the planet?
  • I was talking about sex bots

I know you were. I was changing the subject.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    People will always be cheaper. We need robots to do the things we can’t do, not the things we can.

Based on a US auto workers average total cost of employment to a company:

Per year: $60,000

x3 Shifts: $180,000

x7/5 Days/Week: $252,000

The robot's next best alternative is spending $252K
    per year on a human.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What happens to the human?
  • US auto workers are not the cheapest humans.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message

Retirement, retraining, population decline. It will be a gradual replacement.

poprock wrote:
    US auto workers are not the cheapest humans.

True, but where it will start in earnest.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Gradual, or abject poverty followed by famine, riots, mass starvation and death?
  • But how will people 'earn' a living to consume all the wealth of AI produce?
    What does 'costs' mean in an AI driven economy where te majority of people don't actually work? Will there still be consumers? How would capitalism work?
  • Think how hard it was to get a PS5, or a GPU during the crypto mining boom.

Now multiply that by several billion humans being replaced. Things quickly get expensive or impossible
  • I remember making a bet with a friend just after Uni, so around the turn of the millennium. Before we retired we would be able to get in a car and have it drive itself to work completely independently. I'm 42 now so that bet will almost definitely go my way.

I also told the gf when our daughter was born that she'd never have to take a driving test. Within 17 years, cars would be driving themselves. She's now 10. 7 years til they're not only driving people about but the requirement for the human to take the wheel is removed as well. Seems a bit tight on current progress
  • poprock wrote:
    My point here being that if we’re going to sit around talking dystopias, there are much lower depths to which we can sink, much faster and more easily. Humanoid robots are a fanciful luxury, at best.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    But how will people 'earn' a living to consume all the wealth of AI produce?
    What does 'costs' mean in an AI driven economy where te majority of people don't actually work? Will there still be consumers? How would capitalism work?

It won't. Those that some how manage to retain power will have no need for other humans so will throw any that don't have a purpose, or their own power, on the scrap heap.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

poprock wrote:

What will cause the population decline?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Think how hard it was to get a PS5, or a GPU during the crypto mining boom. Now multiply that by several billion humans being replaced. Things quickly get expensive or impossible

Release the space mining drones!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I do think once integrated/whole system automation gets established then there will be exponential growth. I have absolutely no idea when or if integrated automation will become a thing though.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Goobs, population decline is already starting. People are having less kids. Someone or thing is going to have to do the work with people living much longer.

Perhaps capitalism will be less necessary. Hey, I don’t know how it’s going to work, just that it will happen.
  • But how will people 'earn' a living to consume all the wealth of AI produce? What does 'costs' mean in an AI driven economy where te majority of people don't actually work? Will there still be consumers? How would capitalism work?
    It won't. Those that some how manage to retain power will have no need for other humans so will throw any that don't have a purpose, or their own power, on the scrap heap.

Agreed, that's the thing that bothers me about the current swing to the hard right. The current system will only entrench itsself.

Also, what Gazelle mentioned on the existential perils of networked AI.
  • What happens to the human?

poprock wrote:

What will cause the population decline?

Probably suicide due to a lack of meaning in life, even in the happy clappy version of events.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!