The robots are coming. Restructure the economy. Go.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If you cut your lawn regularly enough you don't need to do anything with the clippings. They act as mulch and promote healthy growth. You guys are missing the bigger picture.
  • This is a good video about types of robots at Amazon. The forklifts are mobile hydraulic platforms, some of the more intricate stuff is being trialled with humanoid bots and then they're distributed by vans driven by (for now) humans. Not featured here but drones are used in some parts of the US. 
  • You can't ban AI unless all the countries ban AI. The countries that don't ban AI will be in a strong position to tell the other countries to fuck off. Google et al can't make it difficult for other companies to use it unless they use AI to try and accomplish that. They can try and limit the export of chips but anyone using AI to develop chips will soon get ahead of the companies not using AI to develop chips. It aint going to stop.
    The EU and the US is enough to pressure the others. You know the EU? The organisation that just banned a load of uses of AI?

But I don't think there will be a blanket ban. Just that the uses of AI can and will be controlled. I doubt anyone's got a problem with faster microchips.
  • Yeah I'm sure Russia and China will listen.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • monkey wrote:
    I doubt anyone's got a problem with faster microchips.

They do, and for good reason. Anyone can use them for AI because AI is just a computing technique.
  • The Act places restrictions on AI use cases that pose a high risk to people’s fundamental rights, such as in healthcare, education, and policing. These will be outlawed by the end of the year. 
    China and Russia can do what they want. If you're in the EU it will be illegal to use AI in these contexts (although there's a lot of exceptions I think). 
    https://www.technologyreview.com/2024/03/19/1089919/the-ai-act-is-done-heres-what-will-and-wont-change/
  • monkey wrote:
    I doubt anyone's got a problem with faster microchips.
    They do, and for good reason. Anyone can use them for AI because AI is just a computing technique.
    But if it's illegal you can't do it at scale and you can't sell it. You're saying something is impossible when it's literally just happened.
  • It might be illegal in the EU to do some stuff but that won't stop people from doing it anyway and they certainly won't have the same restrictions in the US. They can't afford to fall behind unless they want to give up their position of the world's superpower.
  • Yeah good luck with that. Any changes will be trivial and big tech knows it.
  • Plus the next republican that gets in will immediately sweep them away.
  • Trump'll try to have sex with it.
  • If AI tech conveys a strategic advantage to states and militaries (and it does) then no amount of legislation will prevent an arms race. The GM foods thing is a poor comparison in this case.

As far as consumer/average citizen use regulations will certainly be enforced, if for no other reason than states wanting to maintain order and keep a monopoly on power.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Trump'll try to have sex with it.
    He'll probably tell the bot it was its greatest sex ever and them moan to it for a month about what the world has done to him. Hopefully the sexbot will not suggest nuking anything.
  • Although I'd quite like to see Trump's sexbot behind him at a rally cheering him on in a crazy wig.
  • "biggliest sex, all the AI say so folks"
  • Although I'd quite like to see Trump's sexbot behind him at a rally cheering him on in a crazy wig.

Trump_rally_201_hpEmbed_20201206-190524_3x2_992.jpg
  • If AI tech conveys a strategic advantage to states and militaries (and it does) then no amount of legislation will prevent an arms race. The GM foods thing is a poor comparison in this case.

As far as consumer/average citizen use regulations will certainly be enforced, if for no other reason than states wanting to maintain order and keep a monopoly on power.
    The problem here is we're jumping from walking teasmades, to flying gardeners to the US military-industrial complex. So it's difficult to talk about it all at once. The last one will do whatever the hell they want, illegal or not.

In other areas, AI can weaken countries e.g. faked political vids, rampant unemployment. So will be treated differently.
  • The problem is that it's the same basic tech behind all of them. Worse, we won't know what the hell it's actually doing. It'll be 'better' than us at everything and we won't know exactly why, and it'll all be connected together because everything is in a very complex way. We'll be lost in a sea of inexplicable datasets that only the bots understand.
  • If you cut your lawn regularly enough you don't need to do anything with the clippings. They act as mulch and promote healthy growth. You guys are missing the bigger picture.
    That’s exactly how my boss’ robot lawnmower thing works - means it never has a big hopper full of trimmings weighing it down and needing emptying. You can buy em in B&Q these days.
    Same kinda thing with Roombas - robots designed for the specific task will always beat out trying to make a humanoid robot that pushes around a normal human hoover, or can handle my power extension cables to use my lawnmower and keep emptying the grass cuttings into the green bin etc.

It’s tech we have now. It works.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Grass clippings can form a suffocating web of débris preventing adequate drainage, oxygenated soil and prevents new growth. But the real point here as stated is one re-programable robot to utilise all existing/future tools and equipment we use instead of a plethora of one trick ponies (which could co-exist).

Seems we are not going to agree ;)
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Actually the REAL trick is to realise that lawns, at least in small urban gardens, are shit. If you have one, plant it with flowers and trees and diversity. If you want a playing area for kids, then it’s gonna look like shit anyway. As soon as they grow out of that, plant it out. At least let it grow and get more diverse with clover and wildflowers. Super boring neat lawns are for lane old men
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I like to leave a patch that I let over grow, and it always fills with daisies, clover, butter cups and these little orange and pink flowers. The bees love them.
  • It is going to be pretty cool when the NPCs are complex AI characters. Every play-through could be genuinely unique. But can they make them funny?
  • I see the opportunity as enhancement rather than replacement.

The obvious is the incidental NPCs in big games like Ubisoft open worlds or Bethesda Studio games. The tramp outside the bar or soldier guarding the gates to a compound. Without AI its not worth the time and money to improve their dialogue beyond what we have now but AI should be able to add more and more varied dialogue for those NPCs.

For properly fleshed out characters I can see how the examples in the article might be good (in time, clearly still need some improvement) but I would still want main story beats and core character development to be handled by actual writers.
  • Having said that, with the Heist type example there is a danger of having too many threads to pull and the player becoming frustrated and not being able to find a solution the computer says is ok.
    Suggesting boxes and windows and whatever else is one thing but only so many options can be coded into the game as things that can actually be performed when the player actually gets to the heist.
  • It should be pretty easy to limit their power so the story is still fairly structured. Side quests might be a blast. But yeah enriching over replacement.
  • Although some game styles might suit full on emergent behavior.
  • You'll get fewer 'arrow in the knee' NPCs at least. 
    Seems like it would only really come into its own when you've got a Holodeck situation. Some immersive game where a player is happy talking away to a computer game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!