The General "E-Sports" Thread, or 'making a living from being dead good at games'.
  • I watched that one, I do enjoy a good scandal video :)
  • davyK wrote:
    Watched a video about a Guitar Hero cheating scandal recently. Same deal - the guy was a brilliant player but felt the need to cheat.

• Their best speedrunnwr, Riolu, was the main lad. About 500 cheated world records. He's not been seen since, anywhere.

And Wirtual got huge off the back of it, gets 7-10k viewers and it set now.

That's the one. I think a bunch of ppl put their hands up after tho? Was crazy anyway.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Their best speedrunnwr, Riolu, was the main lad. About 500 cheated world records. He's not been seen since, anywhere.

And Wirtual got huge off the back of it, gets 7-10k viewers and it set now.

That's the one. I think a bunch of ppl put their hands up after tho? Was crazy anyway.

Yeah a load came out and admitted it and were forgiven due to honesty. Riolu just fucked off and never came back. Never admitted it, apologised or anything. Other players who'd spent thousands of hours over years to try and beat his runs lost their shit, obviously.

• Swirl, I used to think the same and then I found these players can destroy these games glitchless as well.

I don’t enjoy out of bounds stuff and I’d much rather watch a fast run fighting most of the stuff I have to do.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Much of the joy of a speedrun is seeing sections of a game that had you chewing the controller being skillfully taken apart. Skipping over them doesn't do it for me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I love both. As an example, Dark Souls 2 all bosses is highly skilled and roughly two and a half hours long. Its Any% is 12 minutes due to an hilarious parry glitch that busts the whole thing, which still takes great skill as you're essentially doing parts of the end game as a beginner level character.
  • I quite enjoy a wee "devs react" from time to time. It's fun hearing them be quite sure of themselves then hearing them go "ohhhhhh, fuck" when their game is broken apart.

I dunno if they then go and patch it. I'd understand but it's maybe a dick move?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remember watching a "devs react" to someone taking VVVVVV apart. The dev just couldn't stop shaking his head and laughing.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Much of the joy of a speedrun is seeing sections of a game that had you chewing the controller being skillfully taken apart. Skipping over them doesn't do it for me.

Basically, this. I know there's glitchless categories, I know that the people who do the OoB stuff are generally good at the game too, and I know there's examples from older titles... but it's so much more fun to watch someone annihilate a boss in an 8-bit Megaman than someone walk to the end of the level while OoB in Doom Eternal.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Do not watch Metroid Prime Low%. You will hoist your screen out the window. They complete it in 21% of all items and it's 90% OoBs.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Noted, cheers.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    This is a cool category. Mario Odyssey Talkatoo%. You complete the game, but you can only go and get the Moons that Talkatoo tells you about. 

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Discovery of the day: in Resi 2 (2019), speedrunners will spend the entire game injured ("caution"), as you move slightly faster when injured.
  • Cross-posted from the OW thread;

The new season of The Overwatch League starts at 8pm, with the Watchpoint pre-show starting in a couple of mins. They've decided to use the client from the as-yet unreleased Overwatch 2 so it'll be interesting to see how 5v5 plays at the highest level.  I'm expecting it to be very fast and an out-and-out DPS showcase now the amount of shields has been nerfed.  

The OWL has always been a blast, but this should be a little easier to follow for newcomers with the reduced amount of players and shields. This could make 5v5 make sense. 

For the uninitiated: 2 teams of 5 players (it was 6 per team in OG Overwatch) compete over an objective. The players take the roles of tank, damage, or support, with each playable Hero having their own unique character model, weapons, abilities, and playstyle.
  • Hmm. Still feels like it'd be a very hard watch for anyone that doesn't already understand the game. The YouTube stream constantly buffering and stuttering doesn't help.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    For the uninitiated it would take edited 3rd person camera footage to be able to present it as a battle that could be understood.  Watching that level of intensity live is for hardcore people who are steeped in the game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I really liked the esports support for Rainbow Six Siege. Commentators could fly around in free cam and highlight angles players can see and such.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    For the uninitiated it would take edited 3rd person camera footage to be able to present it as a battle that could be understood.

Needs to be interactive, where you can select players and have them all onscreen at the same time if you want. Plus your spectator cam.

Even a slow-paced game like Uncharted 4 becomes unwatchable with constant switching, even if you know the maps well, because it takes a moment to establish who you're watching and where they are. Manual selection removes the former, and locking that player lets you keep an eye on where they are.
  • davyK wrote:
    For the uninitiated it would take edited 3rd person camera footage to be able to present it as a battle that could be understood.  Watching that level of intensity live is for hardcore people who are steeped in the game.

Indeed. Overwatch esports has always had a problem with accessibility for newcomers. The idea was that losing a player per team and having a simpler game would make it easier to follow. Turns out, no.

Blue Swirl wrote:
    I really liked the esports support for Rainbow Six Siege. Commentators could fly around in free cam and highlight angles players can see and such.

Yeah, R6 Siege is a fantastic spectator FPS. The client and production are excellent, and the pacing of the game helps the spectators understand what's going on so much easier than the 1000mph hyperactivity of something like Overwatch. Same goes for all tactical shooters really.
  • The Overwatch League does actually have a downloadable interactive replay viewer (at least I think it's still a thing), but you need to own the game. You can select the players, switch between first and third-person, speed up and slow down the gameplay, show the map overlay, activate spectator mode with full camera control, etc.

It's well worth using if you're into the game and the esport.
  • Has anything done it better than CS:GO?
  • For viewers, Valorant and R6 Siege are better for my money (tactical shooters are really well suited to spectating). GS:GO is great though. Quake III and Quake Live were always a good watch as well, as much for the simplicity of viewing a 1v1 matchup than anything else.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    For the uninitiated it would take edited 3rd person camera footage to be able to present it as a battle that could be understood.

Needs to be interactive, where you can select players and have them all onscreen at the same time if you want. Plus your spectator cam.

Under control of a skilled producer with use of action replay.
  • davyK wrote:
    Under control of a skilled producer with use of action replay.

OWL had terrible production last night. The replays were a necessity as I reckon over half of the best plays were missed in-client due to the camera being on the wrong person. This is something a good producer and crew can anticipate, but the OWL lost a lot of talent during its extended down period - both behind the scenes and camera-facing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!