Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Godammit page turn, we talked about this.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    :D

In other news, another recommendation from the All Knowing Algorithm. Proper brutal technical death.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Didn't know whether or not to put this here or the QI thread. Took a punt. Richard Kruspe (of Rammstein/Emigrate) spent six days in an East German jail before defecting to the West.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    What the world needs now, is love, sweet love MOAR MESHUGGAH.

• The song's not awful but the video is full on

LM.jpg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    True that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Why does everywhere seem to say that Meshuggah revolutionised metal? Listening to their top rated tracks, like Bleed, it seems to be standard enough death/speed stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    They're definitely more experimental than other bands. Check out the EP "I", which is one track of 21 minutes.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Using some Raging Speedhorn to drown out someone in a cafe who doesn’t know you can use headphones. Enjoy, ya badgers.

• Why does everywhere seem to say that Meshuggah revolutionised metal? Listening to their top rated tracks, like Bleed, it seems to be standard enough death/speed stuff.

I haven’t been following metal trends/music. But I will say this:

A couple of weeks ago was chatting to a work colleague, who recommended Gojira. I’d never heard of them. But that evening went home and stuck them on YouTube. Was impressed. Liked them, particularly track - “Heaviest Matter in the Universe”. I checked out their Wikipedia page and discovered they were a huge band.

So, decided to check out other YouTube metal compilations, and tried a few suggestions from this thread. Generally the only times I thought ‘I like this’ and looked up who it was it was Gojira. Apart from once when it was a band beginning with ‘M’ that I didn’t write down and couldn’t then remember what they were called.

On Friday, was listening to Gojira on YouTube it was autoplaying, got caught in a ‘wow’ this is really good moment checked out who it was and it was ‘Meshuggah’. I haven’t heard anything quite like it. The timing, the patterns and hypnotic rhythms are all great (with parts sounding like the timing is off and the initial beat of a bar seeming different for different instruments, but the repetitions mean your brain can try to make sense of it). It at times feels like dance music or psychedelic rock, with its trance out moments.

So at the moment. I am impressed by Meshuggaah, with Gojira a second. How long I will keep listening to them is another question, as it is quite intense at times and the screaming/shouting may get a bit much, but there’s quite a few albums by both bands for me to work through. (Immutable (Meshuggah) and From Mars to Sirius (Gojira) have both been done in entirety and will be done again).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I will check out Gojira, but I think the problem is I don't have enough time to actually get into anything new these days. My appreciation, or otherwise, can only be superficial.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Meshuggah and Gojira are both chefs_kiss.gif
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The All Knowing Algorithm vomited forth some proper chunky goregrind.

• Shades of the mighty Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos with this one.
  • And a wee bit of early Obituary.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Not listened to a lot of Bolt Thrower but I can see the Obituary link.
  • Just a quick post to say how much I like Jinjer - the first metal band I've heard in a long time that remind me of how much I love this kind of music. Same feeling I got when I first heard A Vulgar Display of Power back in the day.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    … when I first heard A Vulgar Display of Power back in the day.

I think my first Pantera album was Far Beyond Driven.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I never got Pantera.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I've got an extra ticket to see Rage Against the Machine in Edinburgh on 24th August as my friend had to bail. Thought I'd offer it here first in case anyone's interested in buying. It's a standing ticket, £75 face value and no obligation to hang out on the night :)

PM me if you fancy it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    SOMEONE IN EDINBURGH DO THIS.

I was at the RatM "thanks for getting us to Christmas number one" gig, and it was immense.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Just a quick post to say how much I like Jinjer - the first metal band I've heard in a long time that remind me of how much I love this kind of music. Same feeling I got when I first heard A Vulgar Display of Power back in the day.

Vulgar display was my first "growly" metal album (I'd listened to more classic stuff like Metallica and iron maiden up to that) it's an absolute immense album and a go-to when I'm in a shit mood.

Oddly an album I also like to listen to when doing accounts.

SFV - reddave360
  • Realm of Chaos was my first "growly" album and that is how you do it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Been listening to a lot of Ministry recently. Nothing special about them, but there's something reassuring about something middle of the road that's done with a smidgen of panache. Like being offered a cheese and pickle sandwich or caviar and lobster and going for the former. Comfort metal.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Been listening to a lot of Ministry recently. Nothing special about them, but there's something reassuring about something middle of the road that's done with a smidgen of panache. Like being offered a cheese and pickle sandwich or caviar and lobster and going for the former. Comfort metal.

That album that's all the weird symbols is a favourite. They were one of the first bands I saw live - played for 2hrs and were amazing.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I can only remember Jesus ate* my Hot Rod and the rest of that album was no good.

Might have been *built.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wasn't the album title something about teaching your grandmother to suck eggs? Never did understand that expression.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!