PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    They have no shame
  • Indeed. They've also tried to take credit for lifting x % of people out of paying tax, when it was a Libdem initiative they resisted at the time.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I finally gave up on the system today.  From what I recall, the LDs formed a coalition with the Tories, and as part of that, had to give up their pledge on tuition fees; because it was a part of the Tory demands for forming a coalition?

Now, we have the Tories saying the public shouldn't trust the LDs because they lied over tuition fees and changed their minds... when they only did that because the Tories, who are now using this to score points, made them...?

This isn't the system, this is the extremely cynical and shameless tactics of one particular party.
  • Have the Tories and Lib Dems been made aware that the SNP have a new leader?

They do but only because salmond is a nothing at the moment. It'll change when he becomes an mp.
  • Channel four news, man on the street interview tonight: 

CH4 BLOKE: "What's your name sir?"

BLOKE "My bottom is smooth, my mind is clear, vote UKIP" 

What's  this reference? Is it a reference/quote? Did I hallucinate this?
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • I'd say hallucination had he not added the UKIP bit.
  • Hope i can find a stream of tonight's debate. I also hope the Tories get mauled for their absence, their lies, and their 25bn unfunded promises. Surely Cameron's popularity has to dive after tonight.
  • Yes, the Tories refusing to take part seems like potentially a huge strategic mistake by them. Just gives the other leaders the chance to maul them on prime time television without answer surely?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Yes, the Tories refusing to take part seems like potentially a huge strategic mistake by them. Just gives the other leaders the chance to maul them on prime time television without answer surely?

It's possible they end up attacking each other instead, but yeah, it seems like a big risk.
  • You'd think so, but the BBC are compensating for the PM's absence by allowing his strategists to be interviewed for reaction after the debate.

I also suspect a few of the opposition parties will focus their criticism on Milliband. After all, the Greens etc arent likely to gain any votes from the Tories.
  • The Greens are a bit different, going by the last debate, but Plaid Cymru and the SNP are both interested in ganging up on Labour (the two leaders are apparently meeting before the debate to discuss tactics). Farage will probably use the opportunity of no Tories to really launch into them. 

Hopefully Ed emerges from it all as a calm, reasonable centrist and the Tories get punished for their cowardice. 

I suspect the big losers will be the Lib Dems, who wanted to go but unbelievably, were prevented from attending as they were part of the govt and it would look like the BBC were 'empty chairing' the Tories. The Beeb are terrified of the Tories now.
  • Knowing they have the last word, I worry what Cameron's spin doctors and professional bullshitters could achieve.
  • And i hope they dont gloss over the fact Cameron's dodged this. The way the event's being framed- as a challenger's debate- is somewhat misleading.
  • I guarantee the chair (dimblebum I presume) will step in if the topic gets onto why the Tories aren't there, or too much in the way of kicking the government (who 'aren't there to defend themselves'). Even the questions will be phrased in such a way as to emphasise the candidates should be talking about their own policies and not about the deficiencies in the govt's.
  • I suspect that they will all -especially Farage - make a show of the fact he couldn't be bothered to turn up.
  • monkey wrote:
    or too much in the way of kicking the government (who 'aren't there to defend themselves').

To which the easy response is that they had the opportunity to come here and defend themselves, and the fact that they didn't speaks volumes.
  • This Tory election campaign has been little more than an exercise in managing public perception. They're utterly shameless. To fuck with the truth, they'll literally say whatever it takes to get votes, regardless of whether it bears any resemblance to reality. Has politics always been this dishonest, or am i only just starting to pay attention?

There must be people on this forum who are still planning to vote for these manipulative cunts. How do you justify it?
  • I've been pretty interested in politics since New Labour got in the first time. Even they, at their most shameless, were nothing like as bad as these Tories for completely contradicting reality. It's something that American politics has had for a while though, at least since Bush. Say something, anything, and sound convincing about it. Media outlets are required to give weight and consideration to your opinion, it might sound superficially plausible and it works at confusing reality and muddying the waters and shifting around debates. An interviewer might question it, but then he has to question the other guy as well and it sounds like everyone's lying. 

Re Tory supporters, earlier in the thread Funk framed it as a simple inward-looking, selfish mentality versus a generous, society-wide mentality. That's pretty simplistic imo. Many people who vote Tory think they are making the moral choice, the better choice for society. People are lifted up through instilling a strong work ethic, too many handouts encourages people to be lazy so benefits should be minimal, you're harming the person more by giving them money instead of encouraging them to stand on their own two feet, etc etc. This is a reasonable point of view to a certain extent. There's clear flaws* in it, but these require a marginal amount more intelligence and care when thinking about, so it's not surprising that people miss them and stick with the "I made it out of my council estate, why can't they?" stuff that's pretty easy to think about and comprehend. 

*I'm thinking along the lines of us living in a capitalist society that requires some people to be at the bottom regardless of how motivated or intelligent they are, a capitalist economy needs a certain amount of people to be unemployed at any one time so there is enough of a pool to draw workers from, the bottom of society needs to be sufficiently penurious in comparison to the top to encourage people to engage in the capitalist reward system etc etc.
  • The biggest flaw of course being that it's complete horseshit.
  • Encouraging people to be capable and independent isn't a bad thing. 
    I just think you can't affect it through the benefits system. Give people education and prospects. Of course, they'll say they are doing this, and present their statistics, despite things being bleaker then ever for people on welfare.
  • I bet a lot of people will vote Tory justifying it along the lines of "well, any other bunch would have been just as bad with a financial crisis etc!" 

I can't see a single policy of theirs that would encourage me to vote for them, and I should be sidling into their sort of market.  I literally can't see one thing.
  • monkey wrote:
    Encouraging people to be capable and independent isn't a bad thing.  I just think you can't affect it through the benefits system. Give people education and prospects. Of course, they'll say they are doing this, and present their statistics, despite things being bleaker then ever for people on welfare.

Precisely, which is why it's horseshit.

No one is going to argue against helping people to be capable and independent. No one will say no, don't give people education and prospects but the issue is how you go about that. Cutting funding for all this education, or farming it out to unaccountable private companies and paying people seeking work below poverty benefit isn't how you do it.

Stigmatising the unemployed isn't how you do it. Stigmatising people with disabilities, and forcing people into work they are not capable of doing isn't how you do it. Forcing people to give up socially beneficial voluntary work so that a supermarket can have someone stacking shelves for free isn't how you do it.
  • There are no truly independent and capable people. None. Not even one. Every person alive today who has achieved something has borrowed an idea or ideal established prior to their existence. Human progress and survival is intrinsically cooperative. I'm growing increasingly certain that every person looking out for themselves will be the death of our species.
  • You two don't need to convince me, I was just adumbrating the superficial moral case for voting Tory.
  • That word again, adumbrating.
  • And that superficial moral case seems to fall apart when confronted by the most simple challenges.

My throwaway line about right vs left society thinking does bear scrutiny, simply because the ultimate view of those who subscribe to the superficial moral case of the right does reflect their inherent selfishness.

I maintain that morals be damned, however - it's up to people to make up their own minds where they stand, and although I judge them to be selfish arseholes, I can totally understand someone voting to maintain their status in society, and to benefit themselves and their close ones directly, even at the expense of others in that society.

All I crave is honesty about it. Better for society is horseshit. Better for me is accurate.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm going to be very interested in the next round of opnion polls. Labour's manifesto seems a hell of a lot more solid than the Tories' who seem to be pulling policies out of their arses without even attempting to justify them. Plus, Miliband's performance during the actual launch of the manifesto itself seemed generally positively received quite in opposition to the Conservatives' characterisations of Miliband as utterly incompetent. And this was off the back of the events of the previous week when Labour wrong-footed the Tories on non-doms and there were those two highly misjudged personal attacks from Fallon and the Mail.

If Miliband can put forward even a half-way convincing performance tonight, I'm predicting a Labour bounce. Whether it will be enough to win very much remains to be seen, but if I were Tory HQ, I'd be feeling worried.
  • There was also the #SameOldLabour backfire as well. After recovering their position in the polls, they do seem in danger of losing it again.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I missed that one. Got a link?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!