Mortality
  • Sorry to hear about your Grandpa Live.

All of my grandparents have passed away now.  The last was my Gran who died just over a year ago.  She'd had a couple of small strokes which had limited her mobility, and her speech, and you could tell that she had become progressively more frustrated by the body she was trapped within.  One day she called her 3 daughters to see her, they all sat around talking, and she looked at them and said "Make me laugh."  So they did.  Apparently they had a couple of hours of uproarious laughter, then she lay back, closed her eyes, and never woke up.

My grandfather on the other hand (her husband), died in his 30s.  They were just sat round as a family having dinner, fork halfway to his mouth when he just stopped, and fell to the table.  (At least, as my mother tells it.)  Our family has a relatively rare genetic disorder (Marfan's) which was felt to be responsible, and had claimed other family members too, as a result I've spent a lot of my life half expecting to just keel over one day.

Finally, the first time I ever saw someone die was watching Tommy Copper live on TV, when he collapsed on stage.  It was utterly surreal - for anyone who's never seen it, people assumed that the whole thing was part of his routine - and so there was this, in reality utterly horrific moment, played out with a soundtrack of hilarity.  Except as a child, I'd never really seen his routine before, had no idea that things going wrong was part of the act, and so simply saw something awful happen whilst everyone laughed.  It's a memory I've never really shaken.
  • I knew three of my great-grandparents, and have clear memories of three of them. I was young enough when three died for it to barely register, but the last died when I was sixteen. It was an interesting time for me. My great-granda dying was almost a relief; mid-nineties and demolished by Alzheimer's. Around the same time I also had an uncle commit suicide and an elderly neighbour, who was like a surrogate grandparent, died of cancer. The elderly neighbour was the only one I grieved.

I still have three grandparents, and had no emotional bond with the one who died (he was, quite simply, an extremely selfish, horrible man his whole life).  I'm dreading my dad's parents dying because I know he's going to be wracked with guilt. They haven't got on well for about ten years, and are only recently rebuilding bridges. Regardless of the fact that my dad has always been in the right, and regardless of how mended the relationship is before they go, I know my dad will beat himself up about it.

My mum's mum is 85, and I reckon she could reach 100. The eyesight is going rapidly (macular degeneration) and mild diabetes but otherwise she's fit as a fiddle and sharp as a tack. She writes poetry but, because she can't see any more, she memorises them until she can recite them to my mum, who types them up.

At uni I took a creative writing course with Alan Spence. He spoke about the first time one is struck by the fact that, one day, you will die.  He was talking not about the childhood moment when you learn about death, but the time as an adult that your mortality first hits you in the face and makes you worry.  He described it as a wall to climb over.  I think, for many people, they never manage.

I have had to tell a considerable number of people that loved ones have died.  I've seen a range of emotions from anger to apathy to collapsing on the spot.  The most common thing, though, is for folk to compose themselves reasonably quickly, and ask what they need to do next.  The emotions still come in waves, but it seems that the practicalities of dealing with formalities is a way for people to cope.  It's something to focus on.

If we need to report a death, one of the things we do is note a statement covering the chronology of the major events in people's lives; where they've lived, worked, and so on. Again, people find this useful for their own grieving process. It can help recall and preserve memories.

Being scared of death is an interesting one.  I don't know if it's impossible to comprehend not existing, because any notion of it comes from a position of being aware of it.  I'm not wording that at all well, but hope you understand what I mean.  Why should we be scared if we won't know about it?  Just an evolutionary necessity, I suppose.

I've often thought about how I'd like to go.  The two most favoured by others seem to be in your sleep, not knowing anything about it, or surrounded by loved ones.  I have never been able to decide whether knowing about it at the time is better or not, or whether having people there would be more distressing than being alone.

Apologies, this has been a bit rambling and pointless.
  • When my Grandad died, my father really struggled to tell me and my brothers. He's never been particularly good at the 'responsible' element of parenting. Although my grandad died at 80, it was a shock as he'd just won the award for 'Britain's healthiest grandparent'. Had been the army's heavyweight champion during Ww2 and was still working at 80.

After a rather acrimonious divorce, my mum told me that my father was initially going to tell us of granddad's death by:-
    1. Getting us to line up
    2. Then asking anyone who has a grand-parent to step forward.
    3. When we stepped forward, he was going to say 'step back, you 3 haven't got one any more. '

When confronted some years later about this, my father admitted it was true. He's disfunctional to say the least; he wanted to christen me Elvis.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    what the jesus
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Amazing. Totally borrowing that one
  • I also ended up sorting out his divorce whilst he absconded to the USA. He repaid me having all his UK debt addressed to my house. Whadda guy.

On mortality. I'm more terrified of not being around to help my kids grow up and the impact it may have on them. My wife is an amazing mother which eases the worry somewhat.
  • Yeah, but without their dad they'll turn into chavs.
  • As some wise bird said, I'm not afraid of death, just afraid of dying.

When you die, you die, right? Nothing of what is the living "you" exists anymore. No guilt no worry no problem no pain no nothing. Once I'm dead, I'm not going be able to regret things I did or didn't do, or worry about whether I should've done things differently.

So let it come quick, that's all I ask.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    When my Grandad died, my father really struggled to tell me and my brothers...
    I may have taken part in discussions about fun (hypothetical) ways to deliver death messages.  My current favourite is simply, "Mind yer da?"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yup, I'm not remotely scared of death but the thought of having a stroke or something equally debilitating terrifies me.
  • What if your perception never completely switches off. Instead, for those last few seconds, the closer you get to death, the more your perception of time slows down, so that from your perspective, you are always getting closer to being dead but never quite reaching it. And so your last sensations stretch out in front of you for infinity, like some twisted black hole.

I had this thought in a dream when i was younger and it sort of stuck with me.
  • Down with that sort of thing.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Sorry. 

Only vaguely related, but i was randomly browsing festivals for the summer on FB earlier today when i saw a post raising awareness of a girl who went missing last summer. She was last seen on the final day of the festival in question, but has never been seen since. The FB page set up to raise awareness of her disappearance had a lot of activity but little attention, with new (and often unnoticed) posts almost every day, typically translated into different languages. Presumably these were being coordinated by her mother or father. Scrolling down the frequent updates almost brought a tear to my eye. Evidently nothing compares to losing a son or daughter. It must be life destoying.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If I had known my grandparents would I have had a better grasp?death is mostly a nebulous void to me
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Me da's da is on the way out and it's all pretty mechanical really.  His QoL is not great and his mind is mainly out of order.  Will be a relief in many ways, he's had enough and has said as much.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Parents have to be the toughest, I can't even imagine.

My mother is my world. She is on a steady decline. I think about it every day. Nothing can be done unfortunately. She is just getting old. Part of life.

What makes me the saddest is the fact that she is finding it so hard to accept that she is old and health isn't good. She still feels she should be running around and doing the gardening.

I wonder how accepting I will be of old age, decline in health and physical capabilities etc, and ultimately the guaranteed death.

Great thread.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Religion + mortality = interesting (IMO).

Perhaps more interesting us the lack of mention in this here thread.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    One of my grandfathers died of a heart attack in his early fifties.
    That describes the entirety of my Dad's branch of the family. Hence my extensive amount of time on the treadmill in the gym.
    My dad had a major heart attack at 30. Grelps.

Get yourself an appointment to have the old ticker checked out, I reckon.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    After a rather acrimonious divorce, my mum told me that my father was initially going to tell us of granddad's death by:- 1. Getting us to line up 2. Then asking anyone who has a grand-parent to step forward. 3. When we stepped forward, he was going to say 'step back, you 3 haven't got one any more. '

That's horrific and brilliant at the same time. Mostly horrific.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Religion + mortality = interesting (IMO). Perhaps more interesting us the lack of mention in this here thread.

This comes up in Sam Harris' book 'The End of Faith'. He asks you to imagine that the doctor has diagnosed you with a virus. The virus cannot be cured. It will kill you. But there's no way of telling how or when. You could drop dead tomorrow from massive heart failure or pass away peacefully in your sleep at 110 years old.

The "virus" is essentially how we live our lives. You don't know when the end'll come - only that it will. He puts forward the case that religion is a response to this, trying to get some sense of certainty when there is none.

'Course, then he goes and says there's lots of evidence for psychic abilities, at which point I closed the book, put it down, and walked away.
  • Sam Harris really is a plum. 

You're going to die, think about it in terms of this hypothetical situation for no reason, here's a really obvious observation about religion, look at me, I'm a philosopher.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Religion + mortality = interesting (IMO). Perhaps more interesting us the lack of mention in this here thread.
    The most interesting aspect I find is not the idea of life after death, but of "reward/punishment" after death - i.e. the idea that somehow the universe/God/existence is fair. To my eyes, both ideas are obviously wishful thinking, but is the latter progressive or regressive? 
    - Does it empower people in this life to stand up for what they believe in (e.g. MLK etc) with the knowledge that if they suffer for it, they will be rewarded in the afterlife?
    - Or does it stunt progress by giving downtrodden people false hope that even though they are suffering in this life, they will be rewarded in the eternal afterlife?

I'm not entirely sure if this fits into the remit for this thread though - but I guess when facing your own or your loved ones' mortality, it's relevant. If anyone feels it's off-topic, feel free to shout and I'll shift it to the god thread.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The one thing about death that is blindingly obvious but really only hit me when my father died (nearly 2 years ago now) is the crushing finality of it. There is no second chance at going back and expressing thanks or making amends. It really won't hit you until it's too late.

My advice is to make the most of people you love when you have them. Let them know how you feel about them no matter how hard it is or weird it feels. If you are estranged from someone and there is a glimmer of a chance of reconciliation, then go for it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sorry to hear about your Grandpa Live.

I've got quite a big post for here, but it's going to be a while, because every time I try to write it, I have to stop because of the emotions it dredges up. Sharing it can be good, but it's also pretty painful too. Next month marks 15 years since my Mum died, and it will only be a couple of months after that that I will have lived more than half my life without her.
  • Thanks Dante and of course everyone else.

It has sunk in and I'm alright now, spoke to my Mum and she is cut up but will be ok.

Cause of death was brain damage due to lack of oxygen to the brain. The doctor said even without that he wouldn't have survived the heart attack for long, maybe a few days. Plus he broke his neck in 3 places going down. Hat trick.

I have always thought it best to go quick and not via Alzheimer's or cancer etc but hadn't really considered this week of agony my Grandpa went through.

I would definitely choose quick over anything else. Life is about living not surviving.
  • Lol Stophdad
  • Thanks Dante and of course everyone else. It has sunk in and I'm alright now, spoke to my Mum and she is cut up but will be ok. Cause of death was brain damage due to lack of oxygen to the brain. The doctor said even without that he wouldn't have survived the heart attack for long, maybe a few days. Plus he broke his neck in 3 places going down. Hat trick. I have always thought it best to go quick and not via Alzheimer's or cancer etc but hadn't really considered this week of agony my Grandpa went through. I would definitely choose quick over anything else. Life is about living not surviving.
    My father-in-law is in the surviving situation right now. Its a massive strain for everyone involved except the one going through it. They are mostly oblivious. 
    The wife and i are in the better to go quick camp.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Sorry to hear that Panty.
    Hope your lot are ok.
  • I reckon i will either have infinite lives or just one. Id be very surprised if it was anything in between.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Sam Harris really is a plum.  You're going to die, think about it in terms of this hypothetical situation for no reason, here's a really obvious observation about religion, look at me, I'm a philosopher.

I actually really liked the incurable virus analogy in The End of Faith, but yeah. He frequently would make jumps of logic with "don't worry, I'll demonstrate why this works later" and the final straw was indeed "mainstream science has ignored the evidence for psychics". Has it fuck. If there was decent evidence for psychic powers "mainstream" science (whatever the fuck that's meant to mean) would be all over it - imagine the research grants you could get. It'd be friggin' gold mine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!