Nintendo Switch
  • It's a (supposedly very good) multiplayer game at heart but the training missions are well designed.  I just suck at it unless I turn shadow mode on, which kinda defeats the point.

Edit:

• Nintendo has just announced a 7" OLED Switch model, coming this October.
  • Trailer doesn't include any reference to improved specs on the CPU/GPU, which is interesting.
  • Fucking Nintendo. Such a them thing to do, randomly dropping it on a Tuesday a month after E3.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I mean it's literally an OLED screen and more tat (new case etc to buy cos it's slightly smaller overall) they could not have put less effort into this.

Seems Nintendo really don't learn anything
  • What are they supposed to be learning? I think Nintendo splitting their user base between Pro/Non-Pro is always something they'd rather avoid. This is just a nice optional extra for people who want a crisper screen.
  • It looks quite nice.
    PSN: Trampoline_Hero | Switcheroo: SW-4808-6417-1689
  • That things do eventually run out of milk, usually before you realise and stop the milking.

I'm speaking prematurely I suppose but I don't have much faith that they have decent follow up plan to the Switch; just like they didn't with Wii, just like they didn't with Super Famicom.

That said, they are still not facing any substantial competition in the space of "powerful but portable console" so maybe it doesn't matter.

So my reaction is probably one of mere personal disappointment cos I wanted a better machine with bluetooth that works and so on
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bloody Nintendo not learning how to make boatloads more cash.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m very tempted. They’ve even decided to design it to be the baby brother to my PS5. Genius!

• It's more Nintendo not learning how to continue making boat loads of cash generation after generation, which they have not managed to do?
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Fucking Nintendo. Such a them thing to do, randomly dropping it on a Tuesday a month after E3.
    They were waiting for Reg to be on holiday. They know what side their bread is buttered.
  • Are there prices out there?
    Current unit is £280, there isn't much space between that and a digital PS5. A little bit apples and oranges but it is a comparison that is there to be made.
  • Someone dissing the N64 in here?
  • $349 in the US
  • I’m tempted. A better screen would be good and my current switch is falling to bits.
  • Tempy wrote:
    $349 in the US
    £250 +VAT
    £300 

Suggests a shafting or a price drop for the OG. I wonder if they will just stop manufacturing the OG and sell it through.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The official store is giving 64GB cards with the old switch.
  • Now has an ethernet port.  Because connecting to the internet is something new for Nintendo.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • This feels somewhat underwhelming given the rumours of improved specs, but like others have said there's a few negatives to splitting the user base.

GameBoy Pocket, GBA SP and DS lite were all similar upgrades to this, and they all seem to be fondly remembered.

Time shall tell.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • More than one business facing games person putting it out there that this is very much a “what components can we get?” deal and that the OG plan was likely a more powerful refresh. Would still expect a Pro model at some point in the next 12-18 months.
  • I agree 100%

Plus they'll probably not want to split folks during a time when a game like Dread/BotW 2 is out. Or maybe BotW2 is the splitter.
  • Aye.

And hey, play mainly handheld but still want the TV option the Lite can’t offer? This is yer boi.
  • The new stand is cool too
  • Tempy wrote:
    I agree 100%

Plus they'll probably not want to split folks during a time when a game like Dread/BotW 2 is out. Or maybe BotW2 is the splitter.

Yah. Dread doesn’t feel like the game to sell a power boost for the normal players.
  • Yeah the chip shortages would have been my guess.

They better have fixed the drift issue though that's for sure. It can't be the third launch with drift still there.
  • I think drift is in the design.
  • Yup. Said before that it would be madness for Nintendo to enter the chip war right now. It would undermine their current product with one they almost certainly wouldn't be able to match the demand for.

I still think they will aim for a BotW2 simultaneous release of the new Switch and the game available on new and old versions. Development for the Switch Pro will delay the game into 2023, or that will be the line at least.
  • Not keen on all these white consoles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!