Nintendo Switch
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Doom64 is one of my favourite ever games on that console. I sold my PAL edition a while ago anticipating getting a JP version but it didn't get a JP release!  :(   So will have to get a US version with their horrible box art.

Have it on Steam though. Was dirt cheap.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have returned to 3D world with the daughters. Playing this 3 way is such a laugh. I'm now the worst platformer of us as I rarely play this type of game any more but I'm still better at dealing with boss fights. On the final world. We had to go back and scoop up more stars to unlock it but loving it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Doom 64 is fucking class.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
  • Glad to see the DOOM64 love.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What's the deal with Doom 64? Never played it but often see it come up as a good one.
  • The vibes, bro. Unmatched.
  • What's the deal with Doom 64? Never played it but often see it come up as a good one.

I think a lot of people thought it was just an N64 port of the older games, when in fact it was completely new levels and art design etc.

Also back then it was old hat in a world of Turok and Goldeneye.

It's now probably aged much better than both of those and is arguably the best 'classic' DOOM.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It was an old school "2D" Doom - no vertical aiming or jumping but it looked great in the day and the level design (which was proper 3D) was great fun. It's atmosphere and soundtrack are superb and genuinely creepy.
  • Thanks all, that’s good to know.

As Retro mentioned, had assumed it was just Doom on the N64, didn’t know they had done so much work on it. Sounds good.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    When I culled my N64 from 200 odd games to around 50, DOOM 64 was one of the first in the "essential" pile. It rules.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And that's also because they were organised alphabetically
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It was the first game to have brand new levels using the a new true 3D engines allowing true multi floor structures. They are slightly more puzzle-like in nature - but only slightly. The scripting is more advanced too with respect to how switches can move walls etc.  The lighting of the levels is extremely effective and I've mentioned the soundtrack which is a collection of creepy ambient sounds.

Because it's 2D aiming it doesn't need 2 sticks so the N64 pad gives excellent control - I didn't use the default controls but there are alternative sets and the one I used was great.

The enemies are scaling sprites but that allows for more of them. Most have been redesigned though they are still recognisable and some had to be dropped because of the cart size. There was supposed to be a 2 player split screen mode too but cart size prevented it. There's a developer interview on the web which is pretty good.
  • I've been playing it on and off recently. Definitely feels like good Doom, pretty sure a CVG 3/5 stuck with me and made me think it maybe wasn't all that for years.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's biggest problem was that Goldeneye existed.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It's biggest problem was that Goldeneye existed.

Yeah. I think it got looked over back in the day, but it's stood the test of time better than the other FPSs on the '64. (As retroking said.)

The only thing is, I would recommended digging up a guide for at least one thing...
    Spoiler:
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Actually, I'll do it for you.
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I did it without but only after dying lots and lots and then getting lucky. It really was bullshit.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I did it without but only after dying lots and lots and then getting lucky. It really was bullshit.

I can imagine. I rage quit and did some digging; I only looked up what was in my second spoiler, so I still had to do some searching, but at least I knew which haystack the needle was in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Actually, I'll do it for you.
    Spoiler:

There's the hidden "fun" levels (though these might be the demon key levels - not sure) that are accessible from a cheat menu that can be unlocked via a password or by accessing and completing a secret level from level 1. You hit all the barrels in level 1 but leave the 20th last barrel at the start point to last - it opens a door which warps you to the secret level.
  • Spoilers sounds like peak bullshit. I've already missed one then, which I had no inkling of. It's a good game but I'm glad we've moved on from some of the sillier elements of game design.
  • Reminds me of the hidden scrolls in The Ninja.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Spoilers sounds like peak bullshit. I've already missed one then, which I had no inkling of. It's a good game but I'm glad we've moved on from some of the sillier elements of game design.

Yeah, you'd never figure it out normally. I don't think it's sign posted at all.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    There's the hidden "fun" levels (though these might be the demon key levels - not sure) that are accessible from a cheat menu that can be unlocked via a password or by accessing and completing a secret level from level 1. You hit all the barrels in level 1 but leave the 20th last barrel at the start point to last - it opens a door which warps you to the secret level.

I heard about that but I couldn't get it to work. I think I managed to miss at least one barrel every time.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Spoilers sounds like peak bullshit. I've already missed one then, which I had no inkling of. It's a good game but I'm glad we've moved on from some of the sillier elements of game design.

Yeah, you'd never figure it out normally. I don't think it's sign posted at all.
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I got the barrel thing to work but the password is easier.

The demon key thing is bad design. Miss it and there's no going back and you need them in the final level to shut the gates that spawn demons. There's also powerups for the laser rifle which if you don't get makes the final boss a nightmare. Can't remember if the demon keys do both door lock and laser powerup...
  • I reckon all the old school Dooms are fantastic for the first few levels (the shooting and movement still feels great!) but they go off the rails once the levels get more maze like.  I'm mostly just going round in circles, trying to figure out where to go.  The Quake remaster was a real revelation though, I was shocked at how well it's aged.  I think they worked out how complicated you can make a map before it gets dull by then.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Can't remember if the demon keys do both door lock and laser powerup...

IIRC, they do both.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Yeah it's not as if you can't complete the game without them,
    Spoiler:
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!