Holidays
  • I have a friend struggling with forced corporate bonding activities. He worked out-with the office environment for 20 odd years but recently decided to retrain as a coder, quickly finding a decent position. He's really struggling with all the bullshit. A few months back the entire company were 'treated' to an all day drinking extravaganza stuffed full of bullshit. They were packed on to a party bus at 10am and handed drinks. First stop was to a hip-hop dance class. The class opened with everyone standing in a big circle and everyone had to take it in turns to walk into the middle and 'express themselves'. And of course the whole thing was being filmed. He's now trying to get out of a boozy trip to Italy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We do have senior management team events. Thankfully they're actual events, and the only time bonding is a thing is when it's the sit down fancy dinner with unlimited wine.

This sounds wank as fuck but I think the higher you go the less onerous these become.

Until you hit the top tier and if you ain't sniffing lines and ordering girls in from Ukraine you aint part of the team.

Middle management stuff is fine.
  • Scout wrote:
    I have a friend struggling with forced corporate bonding activities. He worked out-with the office environment for 20 odd years but recently decided to retrain as a coder, quickly finding a decent position. He's really struggling with all the bullshit. A few months back the entire company were 'treated' to an all day drinking extravaganza stuffed full of bullshit. They were packed on to a party bus at 10am and handed drinks. First stop was to a hip-hop dance class. The class opened with everyone standing in a big circle and everyone had to take it in turns to walk into the middle and 'express themselves'. And of course the whole thing was being filmed. He's now trying to get out of a boozy trip to Italy.
    KILL ME.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It was sounding good until the hip hop dance class.
  • I shall express myself through the medium of foul and abusive language.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I feel quite sorry for him. You could say, well just say no, don't go etc. But he's new in the company, hasn't worked in that sort of environment before and doesn't want to come across as a grump. When in reality he's just more of an introvert. He didn't even know they were getting taken to a hip-hop dance class. It was a surprise!
  • Might do him good.
  • Worst I’ve had so far was an entire design agency being sent on some sort of bizarre ‘confidence training’ that was touted as being about boosting confidence in front of clients, but actually turned out to be like reliving your most embarrassing memories of school drama class. 

“Explore the space around you.”
    “If you bump into someone stop and give them a hug.”
    “Read this speech out 10 times to your partner, putting pauses in different places each time.”

How about “Fuck right off.”
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Jesus. That shit is the absolute worst.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I’d like to be there to enjoy their company but I know I’d walk away the moment they start getting drunk. I’ve always hated being around drunk people

Glad to know you enjoyed our nights out and stocks.

I should clarify that I hate being around drunk people when im sober. Something I can never claim when I’ve been at a stock or night out with you guys! Lol x
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I've done a full corporate bullshit training day, Holiday Inn conference room in Milton Keynes.
    Full David Brent stuff.

I'll take the Hip Hop class and booze cheers.
  • poprock wrote:
    Worst I’ve had so far was an entire design agency being sent on some sort of bizarre ‘confidence training’ that was touted as being about boosting confidence in front of clients, but actually turned out to be like reliving your most embarrassing memories of school drama class.  “Explore the space around you.” “If you bump into someone stop and give them a hug.” “Read this speech out 10 times to your partner, putting pauses in different places each time.” How about “Fuck right off.”

Try working in theatre, where a standard company meet-and-greet can turn into a fucking 10 minute disco/square dancing session at any moment.
  • That’s industry-appropriate, so no sympathy I’m afraid.
  • (I was alright with the idea of a bit of relevant theatre skills. Projecting your voice properly, that sort of thing. Sadly, that wasn’t what we got.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ludicrously hot in Crete today. We had a breeze there for a day or two which has dropped. Mentally hot pool side.

Re that corporate booze-a-thon in Poland.

If you fancy it then tag along and just call it a night at a sensible hour. The young lads will understand. You might get some old man ribbing but they'll appreciate you going along.  I wouldn't make that a deal breaker/maker but just something to consider.

Our younger ones appreciate the likes of me out on pre Christmas pub crawl etc.  I tend to call it a night before the idea of a club comes up - it makes nights multi-phase and therefore create an almost episode structure - or give them an epic feel if you like. :) We older ones can add something to an occasion. Having the odd amusing story from your past is always a good thing too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • We're off to Salzburg on Saturday for a week, really looking forward to it. Unfortunately we just got an email from the Airbnb that we booked in January to tell us that regrettably they could no longer host us - despite it being 4 days before we arrive and having paid it in full already, just last week. No reason given, just a big fuck you.

They say we're getting our money back, with a whole £95 compensation, but I'm frankly a bit nervous that we're going to get screwed over.

So we've had to frantically try and find somewhere to stay in the city, whilst the annual festival is on. Luckily we've been able to get somewhere - but it's a lot less nice and a free hundred quid more than we were paying.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with Airbnb? What rights do we have?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've heard a few stories like that about airbnb. I think you have fuck all rights, unfortunately, past getting your money back anyway.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Off to France tomorrow woo

Shame I've got fuck loads more to do at work today really...
  • Just about to arrive in Salzburg by train after an epic journey that started at 07:30 driving to Edinburgh airport to fly to Munich then two trains to Austria.

Knackered.
  • Thirty degrees here today, so spending the day at the Lepi, a brilliant outdoor public swimming pool with all sorts of amazing slides, pools and stuff to do. It costs about £5 to get in for the whole day and would never work in Britain even if we had the weather for it. There would just be too many pissed up arseholes.

7sfzwcy.jpg

ymn0Mcu.jpg

AEIsMaU.jpg

PdI2JQo.jpg
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Austria, sucking the fun out of everything.

Third image looks like a picture postcard, drink it in mate.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Walcis Farm Amber Bell Tents this weekend, and a night out drinking in Norwich. Both great.
  • Going to a resort near Antalya, Turkey, on Wednesday. I am increasingly finding going away quite stressful. And coming back too. The middle part isn’t too bad, depending on where we are going and md what we are doing! It’s the prep and travel and the fuckton of work to do before leaving and the stress of coming back to a pile of work.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Re: work get togethers. We haven’t had one in years. Recently had an MBO, separating from our corporate owner, and to celebrate our independence we all went to an escape room with pre and post drinks and nibbles. Was quite fun and good bonding!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So Brittany is quite Britain-y, it turns out. Who knew? In a good way tho... in that it lacks the shit bits and has bonus good bits instead
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s also the source of our stereotypical image of the French.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_Johnny
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm in a village up some mountains. There's no phone coverage or internet, and not a single bar, restaurant or shop. I'm not sure how it's a holiday at all really.
  • Sounds great.
  • Kow wrote:
    I'm in a village up some mountains. There's no phone coverage or internet, and not a single bar, restaurant or shop. I'm not sure how it's a holiday at all really.

How are you posting then?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!