Holidays
  • Thanks do an incredibly generous forum member, me and the girlfriend are off to Amsterdam for a week. Overjoyed, gonna get my cycling on and just cruise around.
  • It's one of my favourite places, have fun.
  • Nina and Baz putting you up? I'd love to go to Dam. Seems lovely.
  • Do it. You can get the Megabus there.
  • Yeah seriously it's an easy bus ride away, really lovely city. £40 or so return, 10 hour bus ride each way.

Thanks for the NY tips Shabby, can't go to there without trying a proper burger!
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Yeah seriously it's an easy bus ride away, really lovely city. £40 or so return, 10 hour bus ride each way.
    Wow. I might have to do that.
  • Bit more (like, a fiver more each way) if you take the overnight bus but then you save on time and time is money.
  • Booked a holiday in Malta for the middle of June. Staying in Valletta so that we are only walking distance away from the main museums and cathedral. Should be a, much needed, relaxing break.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Bit more (like, a fiver more each way) if you take the overnight bus but then you save on time and time is money.

Yeah we're looking at that, depending on how much the trains to/from London cost, which are usually of the "fuck you, peasant." variety.

Have you done it before? Much legroom? Stops? Tips?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Amsterdam bus is always full of cunts.
  • ME? Young man, I haven't travelled on a bus since 1987, and that was when my father nicked Mick Jagger's tour bus.

OK yes. It was fine - you get exactly what you pay for, in terms of both comfort (not much pitch in the slightly scratchy seats with tight legroom) and company (try and empty all bladders before half way...).

Key items to pack: comfortable eye mask, good travel pillow, if you've space a light blanket is nice, snacks and drinks (not too much water - remember you won't want to use the loo after 15 drunk students have) and ear plugs. Something to watch a film on or read a book until you fall asleep. Avoid greasy foods, you'll just feel manky. When you get there, simple train journey to get to the centre, couple of €.

I've always felt there's a great opportunity for comfortable overnight continental travel in buses, here in Europe. In South America and SE Asia they do it brilliantly, often with fully-flat beds and curtains, snacks, the works. In Argentina, the steward came around with a small glass of whiskey to send us all off to snooze after a decent (pirated...) film on the telly.
  • Yeah Kow's right again, done it twice, both times you just have to smile at the vulgarity of youth and stick the ear plugs in. And hope the vomit doesn't slosh up the aisle to soak your loafers.

Oh, final thing - try not to sit at the back, you'll be bouncing around like the bastard son of Tigger and Roo. Middle is best.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Cheers for that writeup Shabby, saved it so I can show it to Bas. If that won't convince him, we'll probably end in France again.

Hope to go there for at least one week next year, preferably Spring. Hard to decide on a time, when it rains so often. Don't want to spend one week in the rain, on a bike.

Might make it into a UK trip, hope it won't take too long to adjust to the complete wrongness on where to drive.
  • Thanks @funkstain, it sounds fucking dire. I'll weigh up my options but I can see myself getting a flight instead because I'd rather a comfortable trip than 10 hours with a toilet backed up with piss and vomit.
  • I've done late night 10 hour bus rides before. Had my lappy which let me learn how to train a dragon then I fell into an uncomfortable sleep. Wasn't totally packed though so I was lucky to be able to stretch.
    You just grin and bear it because you payed almost nothing.
    Does it take the ferry across? I might do it or a weekend or something?
  • I got the ferry to Amsterdam, was the messiest part of the trip.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Loved Amsterdam when I went, and I didn't even take any drugs. Planning on Barcelona in August, I've never been before. Does anyone have any advice? I have heard pickpockets are rife so I reckon learning no thanks in Catalan might help me avoid the scams by seeming less touristy. That and only wearing my England shirt in the evenings.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you really want cause trouble for yourself then alternate between the England shirt and a Real Madrid shirt.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cos its Spanish right? Good idea. I will fit right in then, and still be able to wear comfortable, yet smart, sports ware.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Let everybody know how fantastic you think bullfighting is too.
  • So yeah, Rome was pretty fucking great.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Glad you enjoyed it. What did you get up to?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Saying it like that makes it sound like I am trying to take credit for your enjoyment.

Which of course I am.
  • Mostly at a conference, but managed to get in the Vatican Museums, Basilica, Pantheon and Spanish Steps. And a night out in Trastevere. Obvious as it sounds, the Sistene Chapel probably was the highlight of all the art/religion stuff. Truly one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It is truly awe inspiring isn't it. I'm not religious one bit but really enjoyed the Vatican museums. An incredible amount of history.
  • Yeah, me neither (religious), but you can't help being impressed by it. And just the way there's some amazing piece of work everywhere you turn - including up or down. It's almost too much to take in.
  • For Barcelona you have to go see the Bascilica Familia (or whatever it is called). It might not be fine art like the Sistine chapel but it's still impressive. Go up the tower too.
    I'd recommend going up to Tibidabo to get the best view of the city.
    If you want to do a day trip the drive to Andorra is quite nice and you can tick off another country. There's quite a few tolls on the way though.
  • Meh - I'll see it when it's finished and not before ;)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Got home yesterday after adkmette and I spent a week with @Elmlea, @SublimeEnvy and their daughter in Las Vegas.  Had an absolutely cracking time.  I have to say that Vegas wasn't high on my list of places to visit but it would've been foolish to pass up on the opportunity.  We managed to fit in a whole bunch of stuff; Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon, horse riding, a shooting range, a Cirque de Soleil show, gambling, a whole load of eating and drinking, drinking in the hot tub... the list goes on.  We managed to head out of town, too, hired a massive SUV and went on a road trip to the Grand Canyon.  I know this sounds like a pretty redundant thing to say, but that thing is big.  Unbelievably big.  Big in a looking-at-it-and-not-quite-believing-how-big-the-bit-you-are-looking-at-is-despite-being-able-to-see-it-and-then-factoring-in-that-it-extends-over-a-hundred-miles-in-each-direction-from-where-you-are-standing way.

We took a photo or two.  In fact, adkmette told me earlier that she took one and a half thousand photos during the week.  Here's one of Elm and me looking considerably braver than we felt.

img8896y.th.jpg

Massive thanks to Mark & Nic for showing us such a great time.  Hope we can make it out to see you again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!