The Clobber Thread (Sartorial Elegance)
  • Fuck Star Wars, obviously, but I stand by my demand.
  • My most formal outfit comes with a sword.  That's a start.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That's a point, those soldiers you get outside St James's Palace in London in the full ceremonial gear. I know that they're only really there for show, but presumably if someone pulled out a handgun and started waving it in the direction of the palace they'd be expected to do something. So, are they actually trained to use those swords or do they have a pistol hidden under their shiny helmets?
  • They will run away and hide.
  • Not necessarily in that order.

But that would be the sensible order of behaviour.
  • They have rifles, you know.  I wouldn't imagine they'd need to use the swords much.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Also the hat is a cannon.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The hat was bearskin, back in the day, it would cover them when in danger, all guardsmen were descended from Beorn
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Rifle or no rifle, I'd be using the sword.

I haz two suits and a tux.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • A fun tee-shirt for our (much) younger forumites:

kvAW6.jpg

From Mishka, one of the more consistent goofball US streetwear labels.
  • I am just far too uncool to ever wear something like that.
  • Was mostly for our members with pre-teen offspring so I wouldn't feel too despondent Temps.
  • Skondo wrote:
    Not sartorial at all, but for those interested Metal Gear Solid 25th Anniversary t-shirts went on sale today at Uniqlo. In other news, I bought a new suit today. Three button, single breasted as it happens. I also bought a couple of shirts for work and a dictionary. Living in the fast lane.

Shirts with button sleeves or 'French' cuff? I moved to cuff links from button sleeves about five years ago but recently I have moved back to button sleeves. Major reason is the annoying noise my cuff links make when I am typing. Plus when I go on a business trip I always forget my cuff links and then have to go buy another pair from the 24 hour tesco
  • I bought Chinos the other week, never bought worn or thought about chinos prior to the event. They are actually pretty good, chinos will be bought again.

My wife said I needed some Chinos. She took me to Binns (House of Fraser). Couldnt find any so she asked a salesman who walked us all over the mens department before shouting out across the store 'Have we any blue chinos in size 34?'. Very embarrassing. I am actually a size 32.
  • Fossildog wrote:
    Shirts with button sleeves or 'French' cuff? I moved to cuff links from button sleeves about five years ago but recently I have moved back to button sleeves. Major reason is the annoying noise my cuff links make when I am typing. Plus when I go on a business trip I always forget my cuff links and then have to go buy another pair from the 24 hour tesco
    I had the same problem with cufflinks when playing the cello but have now bought these which solve the problem.
  • Not wearing cufflinks would also have solved the problem and saved you money which you need for, uh, whatever it is you live on.
  • I have to wear cufflinks as I wear dress shirts for work which don't generally come with button sleeves.
  • You have to wear something that makes your job difficult?  That's pretty dumb.  Who says you have to wear that stuff?
  • Of the c.100 people on an orchestral concert platform, on occasions when we're in tails, it's only really the male cellists (and perhaps bassists) who have any issue with cufflinks (5-10% of the orchestra).  Hardly worth changing the whole dress code to accommodate a handful of people with a very minor niggle, which probably doesn't really bother most of them anyhow.  Anyhow, it bothered me, so I fixed it.
  • Yeah that doesn't really answer my question.
  • Dress code is dictated by hundreds of years of tradition and the orchestral management.  Varies from gig to gig anyhow.  Sometimes these days I do gigs in jeans and t-shirt.
  • Hundreds of years of inconvenience.  Idiots.
  • I like getting dressed up for gigs.  Anyhow, most people have some kind of uniform or dress code for work, whether they like it or not.  I never much liked having to wear a suit and tie to previous office jobs, especially as, unlike my current job, I often wasn't in a public-facing role.  That's far more idiotic than the practice of getting dressed up to perform for a public audience.
  • Most dress codes don't actively impede your ability to do your job.
  • Neither does mine.  My cufflinks occasionally used to make a slight rattling noise against my cello when my left hand was in certain positions, which annoyed me but was probably not audible to anyone more than a couple of feet away.  My OP was simply a suggestion that a simple remedy to such a problem might be to procure some cotton/silk cufflinks instead.
  • If they annoyed you then they were impeding your ability to do your job.
  • 30350010151627608172814.jpg
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Men's designers dare to be Fashion Industrial Catwalk designers.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Hey, a bear t-shirt.
  • We beat the rush.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!