Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Depends on the context.  If it's a general discussion and ideas are being thrown around I invite people to contradict me and that goes for subbies. I'm happy to be corrected provided the students get the right info.

On the other hand, if you're trying to establish protocol with a group and a colleague contradicts you, that's not on and should have been discussed prior or afterwards (unless it's a matter of simple misinformation on my part).  It's incumbent on the 2IC to be a pro about it too.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dissention in the ranks must not be tolerated, else it fester and spread. Off with his head.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    :-)

I'm only joking, but I do see it as skerret says above.  If it's a drill or protocol you're trying to establish then the other coaching staff should have questioned you about it private, not in front of the team. Undermining someone like that is rarely helpful.  You probably should have discussed it with them prior to trying to implement it though, as then any questions or comments could have been made before trying it for the first time.
  • The best lecturer I ever had printed his entire notes of the course beforehand and handed them out on the first day of the course. You were expected to read each part before the lecture and then spend the hour just quizzing him about any points that confused. You'd think you had a basic grasp before going in that was utterly destroyed upon proper inspection. After the lecture/discussion you'd read through them again and only then would the lightbulb go off in your head. It was a lovely experience done by a man who knew his subject deeply and I suspect he was the only guy in a pool of cleverness that could pull it off. I'll never forget it and it made everyone feel clever and stupid at the same time.
  • I had that same experience ordering food in Wetherspoons the other night.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That's where we end up you know.
  • God my intros and outros to sessions are awful at the moment.

So much on and so much on my mind and obsessive about the plans and the way everything runs that I get to talking to the group and word salad comes out. Glad I have an awesome off sider on Wednesday sessions who loves to go full dead poets society.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Prep is key.  Distil it down to the key messages, 3 main points, short and sharp, reinforce the foundational principles of the session/gameplan, memorable.  I repeat myself 4 or 5 times in a class but it's always the same miniaturisation of the stuff we've talked about.  If you can't count em on one hand you've got too many points.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Yep, good idea. I mean I know the prep bit, I guess it's more finding time to actually prep what I'm saying. With basketball, obviously I'm spending a lot of the prep time at the moment ok the actual drills, how to explain them and how they fit into the rest of a session and the rest of a term/season etc.

After I move house got a sit down meeting with the personal trainer we're using. Gonna be awesome. Trying to build a full periodisation plan/thingie for the whole program for a year.

Big picture in the way of the day to day at the moment!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I know you know the prep bit, and you know that I know that you know.  You know?  Delivery prep has to form part of the overall prep cos all the best drills and planning falls flat if you don't get the message across (as you know).  I've run workshops where done properly it would have been great, but I cocked up the message and emphasis and they'd start and I'd realise I had to backtrack and by that point it's a bit too late.  Prioritise blud, some of it is less critical.
  • When you're taking a dump at the stadium and one of the under 14s boys is talking about how he got head the night before at another stadium and that he should have snapchatted it.

#class #infoidontneed
  • I missed the 'disagreement' chat earlier. When it comes to officer safety techniques, there are things which are absolutely right, and things which are definitely wrong. Although we teach people that the choice of technique is personal, the way the technique is implemented is black and white. Dealing with the situation of a fellow instructor demonstrating a technique badly or just flat wrongly was always a difficult one; getting the balance of making sure your students learn the correct technique without undermining your colleague was tricky.

I usually opted for something along the lines of, "For those of you having difficulty with it that way, try making this adjustment..."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    When you're taking a dump at the stadium and one of the under 14s boys is talking about how he got head the night before at another stadium and that he should have snapchatted it. #class #infoidontneed
    Anyone under 21 should be locked up.
  • Cracker of a session last night. Consistent attendance the last few weeks, getting into the stride. Kept everything simple. Good stuff.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    GOOD
  • If I recall I've mentioned disagreement before, but had a classic last night.

One of the senior coaches at the school I coach at stepped in with a "can I just add something?" and said a bunch of crap I disagree with.

Teaching shooting to year 7s. And he's come in and basically tried to get 12 year old midgets to shoot like grown men.

I'm gonna have to have words. Need to think about how to approach it. He's a good coach in a lot of ways, especially with general behaviour stuff, but very old school on some basketball things.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You need to define the teaching points for each session prior to it starting, and confirm what techniques you will and will not teach. Any disagreement can be had before the session then.
  • Oh, if only it were so formal at year 7 basketball training! ;)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    In that case just chin him, you are huge after all, and an Aussie
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Just stand discretely behind him shaking your head and mouthing "no" at the kids, they'll soon ignore him.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Just stand discretely behind him shaking your head and mouthing "no" at the kids, they'll soon ignore him.

Now that's a plan.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Oh, if only it were so formal at year 7 basketball training! ;)

If that's the case just tell him to stop being a cunt.
  • Facewon wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Just stand discretely behind him shaking your head and mouthing "no" at the kids, they'll soon ignore him.

Now that's a plan.

Make the international hand gesture for wanker, also.
  • And set him on fire.
  • Have realised that I don't so much luck out with parents at rep basketball as I intimidate. It's a good situation.

Having another season with a bunch of good kids in under 14s rep.

Parents basically fine. My best player is a prima Donna, but that's totally because he's an obvious mummy's boy and spoiled. They do seem open to me giving him a bit of honesty, so hopefully we'll get somewhere.

Meanwhile, our 14.2 coach is 17. He's a great young coach and great guy. Has the team playing excellent and is being really positive with them all. But he has a gaggle of 3 parents making things tricky.

One parent making the best player cry when he makes a mistake. One offering his kid money to score, and the three of them wanting all players making errors to be immediately subbed.

The doc and I will back our coach to the hilt, but parents heh? Some of them are fucked.
  • Wow, what a thread to bump.

Since the above, a solid season where that prima dona was mvp and we made finals....

I became Director of Coaching. The prima dona went to u16s and got verbally abused by the HC who we had to let go.

The young coach mentioned above is still a champ and we'll be doing a HC/AC combo across two teams.

Just finished try outs.

Selection process is so brutal.

Players not making teams they hoped for, players getting cut. I said I'd personally respond with feedback for any cut player.

Ooof. Been writing emails and on the phone all week.

Had an hour long call just then that I don't want to repeat.

Emotionally drained.

Can't wait for actual playing to start again.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Great to hear, sounds busy as hell, good way to be
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm currently doing FA level 2 coaching badge. Coach across 3 different teams, but fortunately never had to deal with trials and cutting players....not something I'd look forward to.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's got to be hard, I only saw that from the other side of the desk and it's not until having to fire folk at work I had any appreciation of what various coaches must've felt binning me off as a youngster. Though tbf I was pretty shit

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!