General Kickmans (FIFA/PES/FM & The Rest)

• and there was 'The Beautiful Game' too. ;)

Save the best until last eh?
    You said it! :P

"Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Fifa 96 Gav m8, Xmas '95.

96!

Memory gets hazy, done smoked too much.
  • Ince and Ravanelli aka the Metal Gear one.  Owen or the real Ronaldo on the high through balls.
  • Can't remember very early games. There was a Master System 'Great Soccer' or something, I think.

SNES Striker was a big one - crap simulation of footy but very playable nonetheless, especially indoor mode. Also the sequel with it's 4 player mode.

But in the end it was all ISS and then ISS Deluxe. Real game changers - the amount of control and versatility was incredible.

Had a FIFA on SNES as well (crap), and then FIFA 96 on PS1 (also crap), and Actua Soccer (seemed good at first but was a bit crap). Luckily ISS 64 came along not long after and was excellent. 

Since then just PES 4 (XBox - the one with Totti on the cover), then PES 2017 last year.

Played quite a few others over the years, but not to a great extent.
  • Owned:
    Realsports Soccer - Atari 2600
    Soccer - NES
    Nintendo World Cup - NES
    Hyper Soccer - NES
    Super Soccer - SNES
    Striker - SNES
    Kevin Keegans Player Manager - SNES
    FIFA - SNES
    FIFA 96  - SNES
    Championship Manager 2 96/97 - PC CD-ROM
    ISS 98 - N64
    ISS Pro 98 - PS
    ISS Pro Evolution - PS
    ISS Pro Evolution 2 - PS
    Pro Evolution Soccer 4 - XBox
    PES 6 - PSP
    PES 2011 - PS3

Played a lot at friends:
    World Cup Italia 90 - MS
    Goal - NES
    Kick Off - NES
    FIFA - MD
    FIFA 95 - MD
    FIFA 96 - MD
    ISS - SNES
    ISS Deluxe - SNES
    ISS 64 - N64
    ISS Pro - PS
    FIFA 98 RTTWC - PS
    FIFA 98 RTTWC - N64
    Mario Strikers Charged - Wii
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Roy of the Rovers [ZX]
    Emlyn Hughes International Soccer [ZX]
    Gary Lineker’s Hot Shots! [ZX]

Somewhere around here, the tabletop game Cup Final. The two tone ball determined which team kicked the ball next. You had a defender with a scooped foot to lob it up the pitch, a striker, and a goalie on a pivot (which we always took off the pivot).

Kick Off [ST]
    Kick Off 2 [ST]
    Dino Dini’s Goal! [ST]
    Sensible Soccer [ST] (I can’t remember which)
    adidas Power Soccer [PS1 pod in Virgin Megastore]
    Actua Soccer [PS1]
    FIFA 97 [PS1]
    Actua Soccer 2 [PS1]
    FIFA Road to World Cup 1998 [PS1]
    Actua Soccer 3 [PS1]
    This is Football [PS1]
    This is Football 2 [PS1]
    ISS Pro Evolution [PS1]
    FIFA 2000 [PS1]
    FIFA 2001 [PS2]
    This is Football 2002 [PS2]

Things get a bit hazy at this point, but I had various versions of both FIFA and Pro Evo on PS2, PSP and Xbox.

FIFA 08 [360]
    FIFA 09 [360]
    FIFA 10 [360]
    Pure Football [360]
    FIFA 11 [360]
    FIFA 12 [360]
    FIFA 13 [360]
    FIFA 14 [PS4]
    FIFA 15 [PS4]
    PES 2016 [PS4]
    FIFA 16 [PS4]
    Active Soccer 2 DX [PS4]

What am I doing with my life?
  • Think you're playing a lot of football games!
    Peter3C
  • Andy: have you never played PES WII?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Kenny Dalglish Football (might have been soccer) Manager, would play 2-1-7 and it was great. Graphics were amazing, well coming from Kevin Toms they didn't have a lot to live up to

Did someone mention Beardsleys football, that was great because you could kick it out and they'd throw it straight into their own goal
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Seems that FOTY didn't get a shout though, admittedly more an rpg than a football game but so much fun
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Andy: have you never played PES WII?

Is that set in the early 1940s, or on Nintendo’s console?!

(Either way, the answer is no, so I don’t know why I’m trying to be a smart arse.)
  • Don't worry I make the same gag about new CoD.

It's a very interesting take on football. More like a real time post football match analysis game ( "Suarez should have been five yards ahead for the cross" sort of thing).
  • I always thought it sounded interesting.

In other news, I’d like to see This is Football make a return.
  • Super Soccer Champ was a pretty silly football game for the SNES. I remember renting it just to see the referee fall down.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • I didnt play much in the way of football games pre-PS1. I think my track record is something like

MegaDrive - Italia 90 for a bit
    nothing else
    PS1 - Actua Soccer demo
    nothing for 2-3 years.

Then I read about ISS Pro 98 in CVG.

After that it has pretty much been ISS (PS2 launch), PES3, PES6
    Some Fifa games (99, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2010)
    And back to PES (08, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17)
    With PES Wii 11, 12, 13 thrown in. 

I *really* like PES 2018 demo too so might get that ASAP.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I also remember people were fans of Sega Worldwide Soccer (not sure if 95, 97 or 98?) on Saturn. Anyone spend much time playing that to confirm?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Andy wrote:
    In other news, I’d like to see This is Football make a return.
    I like the name and think it could be expanded over a whole series of games.

Like an FPS called This Is Shooting People in the Head.
  • Vela wrote:
    I also remember people were fans of Sega Worldwide Soccer (not sure if 95, 97 or 98?) on Saturn. Anyone spend much time playing that to confirm?

Get Pes you won't regret it!
    Peter3C
  • I had the original Worldwide Soccer, loved it.  Was good enough for me to convince myself it was better than ISS Pro, although with the Sega blinkers off it wasn't.  WWS'97 was the second iteration, where they removed things like the guaranteed centre circle lob goal.  I had Victory Goal too, which I forgot to put on my list.  Simplistic 3D footie game, very early Saturn title, poorly reviewed.  The team behind it went on to make WWS iirc.
  • Back when footie games had bangin' rawk soundtracks instead of commentary.

• No early Switch fifa for Gav :(
  • I was wondering if perhaps the lack of switch reviews was more to do with PS exclusivity for all Fifa promotions rather than the fact it's actual bobbins? All the previews seemed really positive so perhaps it's just that.
  • Via reddit, I've seen a good few people have the game and have streamed some stuff. It's gonna be just fine.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Buying FIFA on PS4 tomorrow as a group of lads I know are all buying it, I'm fucking woeful at it but I'm gonna win the quadruplee first season on easy mode cos am boss.
  • I played Worldwide Soccer 97 on Saturn for a single evening of multiplayer back in 98 I think.

It was really fun but by the end of the 2 hour session we'd all had enough and went back to ISS on the N64.

It was ok.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I liked it.  Double tap left or right to do that stepover move that fooled absolutely fucking no one.
  • Ah yes, and the rainbow flick for when you've got a two goal cushion.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I like out of how the forums I visit, this has the most guys who play videogamez and yet has the least chatter about FIFA

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!