Man (I feel like a, erm, man)
  • I was riffing off the awful Shania Twain song when I made the thread.

This is sort of a DIY thread, but it’s also a place to share things that made you feel manly - even if they’re not particularly manly, or your not even a man.

For example, I swapped out the waste pipe on my dishwasher the other day, after it was chewed by a mouse. Caught the mouse too!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just changed the tap in the kitchen. I even had to hacksaw through the old copper pipes to get the old fittings out and fit the new flexi piping.

No more leaky kitchen taps, well chuffed.
  • Fixed the fence in the garden on the neighbors side while he looked on and made small talk. Was strange to be the competent one getting shit done instead of being the onlooker. Made me feel daft about every occasion I've done the same myself though.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • We've just got a couple of pax wardrobes from ikea, and I'm looking for a way to join the two carcasses together. Anyone done that? And if so what did you do?

I've tried looking online but thought I'd ask you lot as Trusted Advisors.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Does it not come with anything.
    Flat brace brackets will be what you need I would have thought, they come in all sorts of shapes so pick what is best. Just attach to the back bridging two units.

Just google them. Image search has all sorts.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ikea instructions usually show how to join units together.

I put an Ikea behemoth together earlier this year. There are various fittings available for that
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Usually you just screw through the shelf pin holes with a standard screw. They used to sell a double headed screw that screwed into the other but I think they have done away with that method now.

Edit: that's it Liv!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My Ikea master edition post:

https://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/2089099#Comment_2089099

This thing is made up of multiple units sitting on top of one another and side by side. Screwed together and to the wall. Was a fucking ballache.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Eric wrote:
    Usually you just screw through the shelf pin holes with a standard screw. They used to sell a double headed screw that screwed into the other but I think they have done away with that method now.

Edit: that's it Liv!

Yup they don't do it themselves anymore.

Thanks Liv!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I have been swearing at my tractor for a fortnight.

The powered grass collector - basically the big fuck off accessory hanging off the back - stopped working. It’s powered via a belt from the tractor itself. And yep, the belt had gone. Thrown completely off.

So I dismantled the thing. Couldn’t get the belt back on. Not enough slack to get it over the necessary pulleys.

So then I read the manual, to make sure I was doing it right. Yep. It’s supposed to be a simple job. Remove a couple of covers. Unclip a couple of catches, pull down a big handle and the grass collector should then move freely. That means you can shove it closer to the back of the tractor and hey presto it’ll be easy to slip the belt on before lifting the big handle back up to tension it properly. Job done, reassemble the bodywork and off you go.

But no. Can’t get the collector close enough to the tractor to slip the belt on. Fuck.

So I do the obvious next thing. Go find how-to videos on YouTube to see where I’m going wrong.

Er, nowhere. I’ve done everything right but the belt won’t fit. Shit.

In desperation, I think maybe the belt is what’s fucked. Maybe it shrank. Or it was too small in the first place and was somehow bodged on by the garage last year. So I ordered a brand new belt.

It arrived tonight. And I fitted it in less than five minutes. Simple. Easy. Hell yeah! The tractor works. It collects grass. The beast lives!

So why is this in the ‘I feel like a man’ thread? Because I’ve sworn at this thing for two weeks, convinced I’m being an idiot and doing a simple mechanical thing wrong. And now it turns out I was right all along. I can do the mechanicing. I can fix a tractor!

7CA49x0.jpeg

Woo!
  • Bloody brilliant job! Well done mate!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Get in!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I installed a whole new cooker hood in the kitchen. Drilled it into the wall, connected to the outlet pipe, taped it up with some aluminium stuff. Proper job.

But.

I put my knee through the granite counter top while doing it and caused 1200 quid's worth of damage. Go me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!