NieR Automata - New game from PlatinumGames
  • The thing I’m looking for is whether the enjoyment I had still holds up. I know the gameplay is supposedly bad but I never really felt annoyed by it. I did read in a review that they played it on auto battle easy mode. Maybe it’s a fools errand. The other thing is I want to help nier be successful so they keep doing them.
  • Silke wrote:
    While I have alot of fond memories of Nier (Gestalt) - especially the characters and the odd little family that they became - it was never a particulary good "game". Automata improved on everything.

I certainly won't be spending sixty euros on Replicant 1.224 when I can just keep my memories.

Understandable - I was really curious about your take on this and whether you’d dive in, and I can see why you’re choosing not to. As someone who came to NieR, like many, through Automata and only then briefly dabbled in Gestalt, this is something perfect for me. But if you know the source material as well as you do...yeah, keep those memories.

To be honest, even with “improved” gameplay, it’s clear already that Automata was a massive leap forward. I’m enjoying this, but the moment to moment gameplay isn’t anywhere near as tight as that sequel.
  • Yeah the Fighting isnt anything to even email home about. 

For me the game just sort of had a really cool narrative approach and the framing of various aspects is so clever.
  • Got my shipping notification! No chance I’m getting it tomorrow. Won’t get to play until Sat evening anyway so that’s ok.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah the Fighting isnt anything to even email home about.  For me the game just sort of had a really cool narrative approach and the framing of various aspects is so clever.

I'd agree with that. The characters, world and framing are where it's at. Just think it's important for people to know, ths isn't diet Automata combat. It's...really basic and still a bit clunky. Not a gamebreaker, but worth being upfront about. 
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Got my shipping notification! No chance I’m getting it tomorrow. Won’t get to play until Sat evening anyway so that’s ok.

Nice! Enjoy it bud.
  • Played about an hour and half of this last night, and I’m in love with the art style. It’s pretty gorgeous.

Combat is very serviceable, quite basic but the magic stuff I played with early on adds a lot to it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Today! I symbolically took the wrapping off and looked at the disc before I left for work. Really excited.

Also there's a FFXIV flyer inside. Cinty stop getting into my mail.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Today! I symbolically took the wrapping off and looked at the disc before I left for work. Really excited.

Did you know that the free trial goes up to level 60 and includes the expansion Heavensward?
  • It here!

I may have to have a cheeky session after final episode of Falcon&WS.  Kids can entertain themselves.
  • 0.1% of players already have the platinum trophy...!
  • regmcfly wrote:

Did you know that the free trial goes up to level 60 and includes the expansion Heavensward?

Wait isn’t heavensward the really good one? No wait, sod off I see what you’re doing!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Free FFXIV is pretty good, I'm currently somewhere in the patch updates towards the Heavensward expansion. Don't even want to know how many hours I've put in.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Wait isn’t heavensward the really good one? No wait, sod off I see what you’re doing!

Heavensward is very good, yes.
  • So this is ticking all the boxes for me so far. 

After the intro section, did I read it right? Did it say 1,213 years later or something?!
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Reading Vice's take on this I'm feeling even more comfortable in my position to just ignore it. Sounds far too revisionistic for my taste, glad I played it when I did.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    ARRRGHHHI HAD BABY STUFF TO DO AND I NEED TO PLAY THIS
  • I’m shocked I made it past the opening sequences first time. 2021 mistercrayon does not have anywhere nier as much patience.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That opening fight music got me right in the feels
  • Just beaten the game with the new stuff. Quite a good payoff if you played Nier and were disappointed with the ending.
  • Playing the NieR mobile Gacha game, NieR Re[in]carnation and it's surprisingly playable. Just rolled an EPIC EMIL (voice acted and all) with EPIC OUTFIT and pumped a load of CURRENCY into him to level him up and he absolutely melts. Stupid, sexy NieR gacha.
  • "Hit the Like button if FFXIV crossover brought you here"
  • You've made me start this now. It's very lush. Music is lovely, story seems cool
  • You've made me start this now. It's very lush. Music is lovely, story seems cool

Yeah, music and story are great. Gameplay is…it’s an auto-combat turn based gacha game. Gameplay isn’t amazing. But we can be friends in the game! No idea what we do as friends, but I know it’s a thing…
  • Is that something I unlock in a bit? Or can we do that now?
  • Is that something I unlock in a bit? Or can we do that now?

Should be able to do that now, I think. It’s one of the buttons at the top of the screen.
  • Friend is top right button. Also, from the menu section you should be able to set up your profile. Should be able to do all this within the first 2-3 chapters.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Did the first chapter, seems alright, guess in this case what will make it interesting is the story. Some of the vfx look quite nice. Don't really understand it yet, but I got to the menu and have a player id: 519078370580. When can I find Emet-Selch?

Had it actually installed since you could pre register ages ago, I just never really start any mobile games.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Did anyone apart from Crayon actually complete Replicant in the end? I never picked it up, even though I was interested. Was already pulled into FFXIV by then it seems.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!