Emigration
  • So I've been looking into this. If I go through the process on the Canadian Immigration website, I'm eligable for Express Entry. I'd then get put into a pool of people they choose from each month.

Now it's at trigger pulling phase - my and the other half are going to go through it all tonight and work it all out but seems the steps I need to do are:

English language test - even if you're a native speaker you have to sit a test and get a score
    Get education approved - you need to get your degree/whatever authorised by a Canadian uni to prove it's legit
    Raise Cash - you need to prove you can support yourself, I'd need about £12k/$18-22k Canadian. Not too difficult actually as we'd sell our cars/stuff... and potentially house (although we'd like to keep that and rent it out)
    Medical - Might have to get one to prove you're not going to be a drain on Canadian resources... which is fair enough really. I'm (touch wood) all good

Think that's it... As I don't currently have a job offer I'll have to go through the process and then hope I'm successful.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Go for it. Never look back.
  • Cheers chaps. Really feeling like I need to just DO SOMETHING at the minute. Turn 32 in May and want to go and experience something new!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Absolutely do it, just don;'t turn into Google (love you really Dean)

Time to start applying for workstuff I reckon, just let them know they might have to be flexible with start date
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    English language test - even if you're a native speaker you have to sit a test and get a score

TOEFL, I presume, or do they also accept IELTS?

Whichever it is, a quick word of warning: I know of native speakers who have failed to get a decent score on these types of tests simply because they have failed to use advanced enough vocabulary or grammatical structures in the test. This may seem like a formality to you, but I would suggest doing a bit of preparation just to get a feel for the type of vocabulary and structures which are considered C2 level (that's the highest, but check C1 as well) and ensure you find a way to shoehorn a few examples of those during the test.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Given the writing in his posts I'd say he'll be fine. Luckily it's not Bob who's going.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He should be, but it doesn't hurt, especially for the speaking part. It's very easy to have a 15 minute conversation in very basic English, most of us do it all the time.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Whatever about IELTS, a TOEFL test will be a piece of piss for any native speaker.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

TOEFL, I presume, or do they also accept IELTS?

Whichever it is, a quick word of warning: I know of native speakers who have failed to get a decent score on these types of tests simply because they have failed to use advanced enough vocabulary or grammatical structures in the test. This may seem like a formality to you, but I would suggest doing a bit of preparation just to get a feel for the type of vocabulary and structures which are considered C2 level (that's the highest, but check C1 as well) and ensure you find a way to shoehorn a few examples of those during the test.

Agreed. It's a test, so you have to know what they're looking for. Have a practice with some of the test materials just so you don't get caught out.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I know of native speakers who have failed to get a decent score on these types of tests

But luckily if that's the case a career as a web journalist awaits

I fucking hate lad bible and all that click bait shit that twats online link you too for 'news' stories, fucknig mongland
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yeah it's an IELTS one. I've had a look at the practice papers and it all seems fairly straightforward as a native, can imagine it being tricky to a second language speaker though. I still want as high a score as I can possibly get so will study/run practice tests though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    IELTS/TOEFL are not exams as such, they're just level tests, basically designed to see how fluent you are. As such, you can't fail them. If they're functioning properly they should indicate that you are indeed a native speaker. Or at the very least very fluent.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Yeah it's an IELTS one. I've had a look at the practice papers and it all seems fairly straightforward as a native, can imagine it being tricky to a second language speaker though. I still want as high a score as I can possibly get so will study/run practice tests though.

One thing that often caught my students out was becoming too focused on getting all of their ideas down rather than thinking about how they were presenting those ideas. Providing a detailed answer should come second to demonstrating a range of vocabulary and grammar.

Thinking about it, I may still have a PDF of a decent IELTS teaching book that I could email you.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I didn't have to do any English tests when I applied, I wonder if they've tightened up that, as there's plenty people here that have very poor communication skills, cant see Matty having any problems.

Where are you proposing to land Matty? I'm assuming Ontario or BC, Alberta is struggling with the low cost of oil, my company's offices there have been decimated the last few years.
    Things can only get better.
  • Yoss - that would be awesome thank you. I'll drop a PM.

Manna - Aiming for Toronto/Ontario as it's not too far from UK for visits etc
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    PM received.

It doesn't look like it's still on my DropBox so I'll have a look later.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Go for it Matty!

Most annoying thing here so far has been the inability of American people to properly scan products. We've been charged a beer too much (they're usually around $8,- so expensive enough), that was a tricky one as B usually has the two beers that were charged, and just 1 this night. Pretty sure this was just a lucky shot from the guy helping us to get more money. Bought a bikini and some shorts last weekend, most expensive item is on the receipt twice, cheapest isn't on there. Not sure if this was a genuine mistake, she wasn't really paying attention. This morning I had to go back in as the lady at the register typed in 33 instead of 3 bakery rolls. She missed the pumpkin seeds completely, but that's ok. Was complimenting me on my hot sauce choices (thanks @Live). Also noticed there were earrings on a receipt at some point, but not till I got home. Were only $6 but still, I didn't buy them. I'd never buy a pair of earrings as all of mine are different.
    Simple things do at times seem to be a complete struggle for people here. On a couple of occasions when things had to be done slightly different because we didn't have the normal things an American would have (US ID's for example) we had to suggest to them what possible options might be, while waiting for them to figure out what you meant, then going "Ah I see what you mean, yeah that could work, gimme a minute and I'll be back". They're all friendly and happy to help, so it's all good in the end.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    One of my aunts emigrated to Canada from Scotland in her twenties, but said that she'd go to Australia given the choice again (following an extended holiday there a few years ago). I quite fancy the North Island of New Zealand.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We're contemplating a move to Edinburgh. Shame about all you Scots being there though. Who's where up that way??
  • Just the rich bougie bastards
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Perfect, I'd fit right in.

Or do you actually mean eg Reg? And you?
  • Reg and Elm basically. Me, Kaz, Poprock, G, Gazelle and Gav are all in Glasgow.
  • The missus and I may well be Edinburgh bound in 2 years or so.
  • Just over two hours from where I'm lurking.  Make it so.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    At least two hours?
  • So I got a one year visa for Japan, the day before I was too old to get one.

You're all welcome to crash.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • What's the age limit on visas for Japan?
  • What you doing over there 'cap?
  • 18-30 (inclusive) for the "young persons" working holiday visa.

Oh I haven't gone yet, I just got the visa, have a year to use it, and once i enter, a year to stay

I have a feeling its going to end up being bar work or english teaching assistant thingy.
    Hopefully i can find something anyway!
    Wind Waker is a bad game

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!