Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I was a big fan of Hardy. But i was appalled by his acting in Mad Max. Woeful stuff. Thankfully Theron was on hand to rescue

It was a gruelling shoot and had hard time ‘getting’ Miller’s vision. Hardy has since apologised, so kudos to him.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • monkey wrote:
    I haven't seen any of them and probably won't for a while but
    If you’re not neck-deep in MCU lore, this will likely come across as gripless gibberish.
    Animated, alternate-reality takes aren't going to be for the casual popcorn muncher. This is always going to be dweeb swill. What if this guy from one 6 year old movie was actually that guy from a 10 year old movie and some origin flashback from one of those movies actually happened differently.
    I'm expecting the episodes to range from shit, dull, pointless, ok, nice idea and actually pretty good.

I wouldn’t say this first one is only for the dweeb market. It’s a solid animated action short. I’m sure there’ll be plenty references for the nerd crowd but this first one didn’t seem to need much to appreciate it other than having seen the first captain America film.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Hello from Edinburgh by the way. Enjoying the change of scene, not that I've been anywhere other than the co-op.
    HELO
  • I watched the first 10 minutes of What If? Seems like it's in the same ballpark as the feature length DC animation home video things. Not completely bad but not something most adults are going to find that interesting. It's fine, it is what it is but I didn't need to see any more of it. Not ruling out watching one in the future if the premise is decent.
  • I was a big fan of Hardy. But i was appalled by his acting in Mad Max. Woeful stuff. Thankfully Theron was on hand to rescue

It was a gruelling shoot and had hard time ‘getting’ Miller’s vision. Hardy has since apologised.
    I had a hard time getting his vision in that movie too tbh :)

http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I found the pacing on this a bit weird. Perhaps its just because its following the Captain America story, but it feels either too short or too long.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I’m a confirmed dweeb, loved What If…?
    Things can only get better.
  • I found the pacing on this a bit weird. Perhaps its just because its following the Captain America story, but it feels either too short or too long.

So agree - I think its because a lot of it feels familiar and its only really at the end that the divergence from the cap movie really happens (apart from the obvious) For much of it, its really just a character swap isnt it?

I still liked it though. The art style and animation was lovely and it had an easy going vibe that was nice. Certainly not an essential view thing but I enjoyed it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Jury still well and truly out on this, but the final trailer is something of an improvement...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'll be charitable and say its not what Im looking for in super hero movies.
  • Shang-Chi has been getting rave reviews from the preview screenings.

If this is a beginning of Marvel knocking out some looser films that don’t necessarily tie in together as heavily, then I’m all for that.

I get that they’ll be building towards another 10-year crescendo, but I think the early stages were a lot more fun last time around.
  • I’m down for Shang-Chi for the JC StuntTeam alum action choreography.
  • Sorry can't find this on YouTube to embed. Might be on his Twitter as well.

Spiderman the Hannibal Buress trailer.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CTBk-tKDcGj/?utm_medium=copy_link
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Jury still well and truly out on this, but the final trailer is something of an improvement...

What’s Superman doing in a Marvel film?
  • Ho, and indeed, hum.

• I think Matt Reeves has the chops to make a good film and one that looks great (Let Me In was actually quite good despite the title and the fact it has no reason to exist because the original is a masterpiece).

The problem with Batman is just that grim-dark aesthetic is so tired now. Ooooh I’m angry and gonna say angry things. It almost seems like a character tuned for the internet fuckwads that think this kind of character is deep and serious and what “real comic movies should be”

I actually think that looks like it could be a good movie though. Will see how serious and man-child angry it ends up being
  • Completely agree, I think this film looks pretty good and quite excited to see it, but they should really change Batman as he ages like they did in the comics. He became completely drained by the whole thing later on, seemed just tired and weary, but also utterly obsessed to the point of lunacy.

Was hoping after affleck we’d get an older Batman which focused more on the obsession and the mental backup plans. I wanna see Morrison’s batmite and Zur-En-Arrh, basically.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like the year one shit and the closer to Burton scenic aesthetics (yo come film in Glasgow) but am cagey as to what it offers apart from GRIM DARK
  • I just got nothing from that trailer other than I've already seen this film so many times before.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, I can't have a fucking flashback. My only thing is if it's a bit more brutal and i get a bit more 1989. I get you. Batman fatigue is real. We have seen so many iterations, and it doesn't let go. I just like the cast, the aesthetic, but if it does the usual shit I'm out
  • Can’t wait to see a happy smiling family get shot to bits, pearls from a necklace tumbling onto the rain-soaked streets.
  • I’m actually pretty up for it as same reasons as Reg. It’s the exact Batman I want. The third Apes film from Reeve was pretty bleak as well but was easily the best of the bunch.
  • I’ve said before the best thing to do with movie Batman is nothing. Just give the guy a break for a decade. Obviously they won’t so this is the next best.

I’ve seen this described as three hour noir detective story. Tedious, seen it all before shite or best Bats ever. There will be no middle ground.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think the problem with this is that when they started doing this modern tranche of DC films they seemed to be influenced by the Nolan Batman films (albeit not narratively continuing from them). I guess that doesn't leave them anywhere to go with the new Batman films. They seemed (I haven't seen any of the new DC films) to make Superman very gritty - perhaps they should have also done this a bit against type and done something influenced by one of the more upbeat Batman comic runs.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • monkey wrote:
    I’ve said before the best thing to do with movie Batman is nothing. Just give the guy a break for a decade. Obviously they won’t so this is the next best. I’ve seen this described as three hour noir detective story. Tedious, seen it all before shite or best Bats ever. There will be no middle ground.

Batman vs a proper Riddler (who is more genius???!!) and Penguin in 50s noir gangster get up could be OK sure

I dunno haven't we seen everything before already
  • I’m in for Dano, Farrell and RPatz.
  • i think batman is possibly the most stupid and ridiculous super hero character. it sort of works 'back in the day' but trying to fit it in a modern realistic world it's just the daftest concept.

they need to go back to the adam west style batman, it needs to be played for laughs
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Was just thinking who could be cast as a new camp Batman. Paul Rudd maybe but he’s taken. And it needs more deadpan.
  • Batman out of most of DC's lot would benifit from being untethered from a multi-verse. That way you get to set it in a world where you can ignore modern technology, and set it in a non specific time period which also allows for some great aesthetic choices.
  • i think batman is possibly the most stupid and ridiculous super hero character. it sort of works 'back in the day' but trying to fit it in a modern realistic world it's just the daftest concept. they need to go back to the adam west style batman, it needs to be played for laughs

I guess Lego Batman was the closest thing we'll get to having a "fun" Batman again, which is a shame.  Brooding angst gets a little dull after a while.  (Which is why Batman's largely defined by his far more entertaining roster of villains.) Still, I don't think we'll be getting a live action Batman that acknowledges the character's inherent silliness for a while, if ever.

Alternatively, if we must have GrimDark Batman I'd quite like them to lean into it fully and set it purely from a villain's perspective, with the Bat as a relentless Terminator-esque nightmare.  Which is also not going to happen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!