Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Did the
    Spoiler:
  • I liked the thing with the cats.
  • I had The Marvels on in the background and while it had the breezy MCU vibe to it (a positive), it had zero substance to counterbalance. The cats bit and the swapping places fight was fun enough, but where was the drama or threat?

Surprised it didn’t get held back or put straight on Disney+. It wasn’t cinema worthy in my view. Argument to make its further damaged the overall brand (ie the MCU).
  • Guardians 3 was equally guilty of all those sins and yet people praised it.
  • poprock wrote:
    Guardians 3 was equally guilty of all those sins and yet people praised it.

One of a main characters was largely dead for the majority of the movie, I'm not sure you can say there wasn't any threat, or drama in Guardians 3. The story also benefited from the relationships built up between the characters over multiple movies, which didn't apply to The Marvels.

More Guardians 3 would be a positive for the MCU, more The Marvels would likely end it.
  • Diff’rent strokes, eh? I thought Guardians 3 was rubbish, and I enjoyed the Marvels more.

Don’t get me wrong, neither was great.
  • Absolutely, Pop. It's down to taste or what you want from a film at the time.
  • I really enjoyed Guardians 3, but that's largely down to being invested with characters I know and like, I spose. The Marvels might be fine for all I know, but I'm sitting very much in the zero fucks given camp for all the characters it features, so I'm not likely to watch it unless it was getting great word of mouth everywhere, which it just isn't.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • There’s one big gag with the cats that is worth the price of admission alone. I was creased up laughing and had to pause the film. It’s pretty standard-tier Marvel fare otherwise, although it’s nice to see a superhero flick where all but one of the main characters are female.
  • This is getting an absolute shit-tonne of dislikes on the Tube...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I get why it would but it’s probably old people bemoaning the past. I loved the original when I was younger and it was a visual feast at the time. But apart from a few quotable lines “pussies go last man!” It actually wasn’t a great film.

It got elevated because of Lee’s tragic death and the dedication from the makers to make the film still work. This looks like any other remake. But let’s not pretend that the original was top class cinema.
  • The original’s soundtrack was a massive hit as well, though. That helped in the cool stakes.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I get why it would but it’s probably old people bemoaning the past. I loved the original when I was younger and it was a visual feast at the time. But apart from a few quotable lines “pussies go last man!” It actually wasn’t a great film.

It got elevated because of Lee’s tragic death and the dedication from the makers to make the film still work. This looks like any other remake. But let’s not pretend that the original was top class cinema.

Exactly how I feel about it. A solid enough action movie with cool soundtrack and a nice goth sheen but it gets way more praise than I think it merits.

Trailer looks fine for what it is.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I thought the '94 Crow was awesome (B-movie) fun back in the day. Proyas was a good director. Can't say I've seen it in decades, but it defo has a place in my heart.
    It is interesting though. If you scroll through the comments of any '94 Crow clips on the Tube, people do seem to really love it.
  • It was just a bit of a cultural moment, I think. The poster was on every teenage bedroom wall.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely enjoyed it at the time and yes the soundtrack was a banger.
  • I was a bit young for the whole hype around the original. Knew about Lee's death more than anything else around it.
    By the time I got to watching it in my 20s it had all been diluted a lot. The film was fine on its own I guess.

So the IP does nothing for me. That trailer looks alright though and its a fair bit different to the rest of the super hero stuff getting pumped out so Ill at least see what reviews say.
  • g.man wrote:
    I thought the '94 Crow was awesome (B-movie) fun back in the day. Proyas was a good director. Can't say I've seen it in decades, but it defo has a place in my heart.

Yeah, i really liked it and it's so weird to think about how exciting Proyas was to a young me after The Crow and Dark City. The dude has put out absolute trash ever since. But i think that first one has a very specific and of-its-time aesthetic and tone, and it's a tightly made movie.
  • +1 a fan of the original Crow
    +1 fuck off with that remake bollocks
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark City was a weird one. Should have been a cult hit but suffered from being up against City of Lost Children - an all-timer of a cult movie with a similar aesthetic. The films weren’t actually that similar, but the marketing would have had you believe they were.
  • Ive seen both but still get them confused. Its normally City of Lost Children I think of when either is mentioned.

Admittedly only seen both once though and cant remember much about either.
    Sepia one or blue/grey one.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Dark City wasn't entirely disimilar to The Matrix also, in part because The Matrix reused some of its sets.

I would say that it still managed cult hit status though. Very popular on DVD, leading to a Director's Cut...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I watched Dark City recently, it's aged obviously, but still a compelling watch. Great concept.
  • Blade II is still great. It's what Sony and DC want their films to be.
  • Blade 2 isn't as good as Blade and is let down by some really shonky SFX. Like all of Del Toros work, it has all of the right pieces to be great but they're not quite put together correctly.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The 90s was a really fun decade for comic book movies with some interesting experiments despite notable flops.

Everyone started trying to replicate Batman, so you had a slew of pulpy heroes like The Phantom, the Shadow, etc. there was also the Rocketeer.
    You had the last of the adult-audience targeted films (at least until Deadpool) with Blade, The Crow and Timecop (Spawn too, but that was crap and Barb Wire). You had good and awful adaptations of Batman. It proved that Hollywood didn't understand British comics (Tank Girl and Judge Dredd).

Then you hit the 00s and following The Matrix (which I think is a comic book adaptation in all but name) you had the rise of the comic book universe when X-Men set the template for the next 25 years.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • The Mask was pretty good for it's time.
  • Just watched The Flash.
    I'll never watch it again, some of the CG was really in the valley and the cameos became groan worthy.

That said it really wasn't as awful as I expected. I reckon third best DCU after Man of Steel and Wonder Woman. The whole series has been a disaster of course but it wasn't mind numbingly stupid like Aquaman or WW84. Although WW84 is secretly my favourite as it's so shit it's a good laugh.

I also think The Flash did multiverse better than Marvel have done it. It seemed cleaner and with all 'verses being under threat in the one movie there were actual consequences.
  • New crow trailer looks exactly for this generation what old crow was to them for me. It'll be fine enough.

Day this as someone old enough to remember the original coming out but it wasn't really my scene.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!