myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    For some unknown reason I've bought Zelda and MK physical for the Switch, while I'm pretty much digital on the 3DS/WiiU/PC. Should go back to digital, as I'm pretty sure we'll be moving around a bit. Plus it's a nice way to switch between games easily or pick up something you've forgotten about by just seeing the icon on the home screen.

For music, I bought vinyl after a gig quite often, sometimes got favourites if I saw them in a store, and it makes it easy for people to buy presents. Stopped doing that as I didn't want to get them all with me, and I don't want to pay extra at the airport to get them back at some unknown point in the future. So mostly streaming and buying digital.
    If I want to support the band with more money I'll just get a shirt.

Films are difficult. I don't like the billion options in streaming services, Google music has a nice selection and we sometimes rent, but with some movies you just know you want to see it more than once. And I'm not gonna pay $15,- for a digital file, that's just too much, specially since the Blu Ray is usually cheaper (but I don't have a player anyway). I still have access to a hard drive in Amsterdam that has some movies on there that I've downloaded and I should transfer them to my laptop. I'm not every sure how it goes these with torrents, B says most sites aren't around anymore. So I'll have to figure out how I'm gonna do this, I wouldn't mind buying digital if it wasn't more than $5.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    trying to get everything digital i want to keep onto one single piece of storage

Uh oh.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    trying to get everything digital i want to keep onto one single piece of storage

Uh oh.

With adequate backup.
  • The backup is all his physical media.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A hybrid approach is in my mind the optimal approach. Initial experience via digital is the most convenient but I like the idea of a reasonable sized physical collection of favourites - preferably in the form of special editions or equivalent where possible.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    having been forced into digital by transient lifestyle, however still hanker for my turntable and amp, and my giant telly to consume as content creator intended
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have an entire room just for my films and games. I don't go digital unless there is no other alternative.
    Get schwifty.
  • But if you went digital Raz you could bin all of them and use the spare room space to take in a family of refugees from some far-off worn torn country.  Think of the possibilities.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Don't give @raz ideas or he'll end up dedicating a whole room to skyrim memorabilia
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have a Skyrim shrine. Praise be to Akatosh!
    Get schwifty.
  • I gave up all my vinyl last time I moved house. Got rid of the whole hi-fi, not just my turntable. Replaced it all with just a big sound base under the TV and I now play all my music from a Mac hooked up to the telly.

I still have about 2,000 CDs though, in the spare room. I only use them to listen to music in the car.

Seriously considering selling the CDs now. Just a bit daunted by the mammoth task of cataloguing them first.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have only purchased the occasional music track digitally. Do default digital people buy the whole album?
  • I take advantage of the ability to only buy a few tracks if that’s all I want. If I’m buying an album though, yes – I’ll buy that digitally too.

I’ll only buy a CD nowadays if it’s direct from the band (at a gig or by mail order) and it’s specifically different to the digital, or not available digitally.

Books are a funny one. I buy fiction to read on Kindle, for convenience of carrying it around. If it’s a book I consider ‘special’, I’ll buy a hardback for the shelf. Non-fiction (design books, cookbooks, etc) I buy physically.

Movies … I like to stream them, whether that’s via Netflix etc or by renting online. Only ever buy a Blu-Ray now if I want specific bonus content, or if it’s an older film that’s cheaper to buy than rent.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Strangely I don't buy a lot digitally, my platform of choice is bandcamp though, just feels like more of the cash money dollar pounds get to the artist, though I might be deluding myself
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I do the same with good books pop. I also write in the front a note on my thoughts so tge kids will get an idea of what their patriach was thinking.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oliver Twist:

More gruel? Who does this oik think he is?
  • Catch 22: 

This Yossarian chap is a prick. Don't trust anyone with that name.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Advice to live by.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Books are a funny one. I buy fiction to read on Kindle, for convenience of carrying it around. If it’s a book I consider ‘special’, I’ll buy a hardback for the shelf. Non-fiction (design books, cookbooks, etc) I buy physically.
    I need to get a kindle at some point, it's just a bit confusing with the file formats, that's what's mainly doing my head in with going digital. Location based restrictions and file formats. I sometimes buy digital books via Google books, but don't think I can read those on a kindle.

For cookbooks, I've a couple of them, but all the books are still in NL (way to heavy) and I've been using the tablet on the counter for recipes. Works great, so I'm actually considering in getting those digital. It's usually only a couple of recipes that you go back to.

• e-readers are one of the few forms of digital media that are getting hammered by their analogue counterpart.  People just can't stop cutting down trees, turning 'em into pulp, and putting words and words on 'em.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • They're not getting hammered tho m8. Ebooks are killing it still.

More books are being sold though.
  • Part of the reason why I buy cds is so I can rip them in FLAC for my Skerret endorsed headwobble set-up.  I used to download from Amazon a fair bit, if the physical cds were creeping up to 1990s prices (£12 is about my limit these days).  This annoys me now, because I've got around 80 albums I'd have to repurchase if I wanted them in a lossless format (which I dooo).  It's currently settled at £8.99ish for a download on there, or £9.99-11.99 for the album + download.  For a couple of quid I'd always opt to clutter my house up with the albums, even if Amazon offered FLAC as a d/l.  I love getting a cd in the post at work.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I have been pursuing a digital life for a few years with almost all music gone. I've kept a few select CD's mainly for sentimental reasons. Books are almost exclusively Kindle except for large work text books and again some old books that I owned that have a particular sentiment.

Films had almost exclusively gone until I went HDR and 4K. Now I've bloody started a collection of UHD discs as streaming 4K just isn't there yet. No doubt I'll sell all these in about five years.
  • With an impending house move, and the realisation that humans are hoarders im gonna try to declutter as much as possible. A move to digital only for various forms of media will be tough. I dont know what to do with my backlog of games of the previous generation that i promise myself i will play oneday. My book collection will stay as many books cant be replaced or will cost me a small fortune to do so into digital form. I'd like to go minimalist where possible. Lets see how this goes...
  • What thread? I'm a little obsessed with the 'Show us your gaming set-up' threads on GAF and Reset.
  • What thread? I'm a little obsessed with the 'Show us your gaming set-up' threads on GAF and Reset.

That one and there was another whos name ive fogotten on GAF. Which is no help at all. Some posted pics of their "digital only" house, it was inspiring.

Btw the london apartment on the first page, damn those views.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/show-us-your-gaming-setup-2019-edition.1470448/

Edit: tiger there is a guy in GAF called chittagong. It was his digital only setup which gave me the idea. The link above is his new place. The link below was his old crib.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/show-us-your-gaming-setup-2016-edition.1162688/page-13

Loved the design.
  • Yeah, some fairly well off nerds in those threads.
  • Wow, those first couple are impressive! I’m almost entirely digital as far as media goes these days (apart from the obligatory vinyl), quite pleased with how it all hooks up. Next step would maybe to get a NAS/plex thing on the go.

I’ve got all my old games and consoles and stuff in boxes in the loft, it may never see the light of day again but maybe it’ll get a chance if we ever move somewhere with more rooms than we know what to do with.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Digital is great... To a point.

I'm happy with digital games as with a few exceptions I find it more of a forward medium. I would replay very few games and for the most part each gen seems to be able to provide more than enough classics.

Film is somewhat similar. I used to horde dvds but now I don't have the time so streaming services work better. I'd rather spend the money on the cinema.

Books are mixed. For novels and biographies, digital all the way. I need a new kindle (or light weight equivilant) but for reference books (coffee table stuff) I stick with physical, both because I love the feel of it and also it just makes more sense for browsing.

Newspapers are a mix. I have an Irish Times sub with the weekend paper being delivered. I browse the midweek epaper but love the physical weekend edition with all its pullout goodness.

Magazines are still more of a physical thing for me, but I can't remember the last time I bought one.

Finally music is split. I love Spotify both for ease of access and for the chance to dip into stuff I wouldn't touch... But if I like something I have to buy the physical CD. Just in case.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    For games with me it's physical but that is fast becoming something that just isn't feasible any more. However I'm a retro head and haven't jumped this gen and I don't think I will.

I'm still into physical media for music. I've bought some of my favourites on vinyl but I'm keeping a heavy lid on that caper.

I've stopped buying DVDs and I'm confining myself to super-duper favourites re Blu rays.

Books are a mix. Kindle for most of it - physical for favourites (.e.g. folio) and reference books. Magazines are out of my life.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!