All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Is that your own experience or are you role-playing?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • First morning in our new home and my wife managed to pack the coffee somewhere and I've no idea where....
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's in that box at the back, no, not that one.
  • But I've looked in that one. It's not in there
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I think it's in the box with the coffee.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If it's owt like Unpacking, it's probably in with the bathroom stuff
  • Can't believe you don't have a 'We need this shit now on Day 0' box. Coffee, mugs, Xbox, pipe of Pringles.

Amateur hour over there.
  • First morning in our new home and my wife managed to pack the coffee somewhere and I've no idea where....

Could be worse. Could be the entire family’s passports…
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fucking energy crisis, just got hit for an electricity/gas bill for 500 quid (for two months). Costs have nearly tripled since this time last year. I hope they can find some way to navigate back to normal prices again soon. I feel sorry for the people on the lowest wages as they're going to have to choose between heating or eating.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fucking hell. We’ve got it hitting now. Just waiting to see what my direct debit is gonna be.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm on 220 a month. 18 months ago I was on 80.
  • By reaching the end of a fixed tariff and being switched to a flexible one just as the big rise hit, we’ve gone from £185 per month to £550.

We’ve been told it will go up every month now. And it’s due to rise significantly again at Christmas, then again next spring, as the price caps are upped.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    On the plus side ...

... nope, still nothing
  • Wait. What? £550 a month in a two person home? What are you running, a server farm?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Now is the time to switch to solar guys. Me and the Missy are seriously looking at it. If you’re south facing a good array could cover 3/4 of your yearly bill. Batteries we’re still deciding on. This is no longer about it paying for itself, it’s about surviving the shit show our government have allowed to happen.
  • Mines gone from £50-£60 to £100. I suspect it will be £150 by xmas, although I will have to see how things go being in the new place. Having an external office means I wont be heating the house during the day which will be more efficient during the day but means there wont be any built up heat in the evening.

The energy report is pretty good except the loft insulation which is bottom of the scale so I will be having that done this summer, should pay for itself.

Speaking of paying for itself the dog is better than any heating and has now crossed the threshold into being cheaper.
  • Jesus titty fucking Christ those prices make me want to cry. Still not seen mine yet.
    Thank God we moved into a new build , it's rated as A for energy efficiency and is very warm.
    We also have solar panels.

Really hoping these mitigate some of the costs
  • Yup, really being hit by it. Going to be a very uncomfortable year or more.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I dont see much changing for the rest of the decade.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Wait. What? £550 a month in a two person home? What are you running, a server farm?

Our bills are mostly gas with only a little electricity. Up from £185, which felt reasonable for the size of the place and the fact that we have a gas-powered Aga that’s always on and underfloor heating that’s quite energy-hungry. And that’s already including solar thermal for our hot water, which should be reducing gas use on that side of things.

I’ve been keeping track, and we’re using 20 to 25% less energy than this time last year - thanks to understanding our heating system a bit better and using it more efficiently.
  • sheeeeit according to OVO we're using just slightly more than the average OVO customer. Our fixed comes to an end in June. Time to figure out what this means - we use a lot more electricity than gas, especially in summer
  • We are 4-bed fully detached.  It's a cold house.  Have been paying c£350 a month recently.  Last year, in our old home, similar size but felt warmer, it was c£200 a month.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • poprock wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Wait. What? £550 a month in a two person home? What are you running, a server farm?

Our bills are mostly gas with only a little electricity. Up from £185, which felt reasonable for the size of the place and the fact that we have a gas-powered Aga that’s always on and underfloor heating that’s quite energy-hungry. And that’s already including solar thermal for our hot water, which should be reducing gas use on that side of things.

I’ve been keeping track, and we’re using 20 to 25% less energy than this time last year - thanks to understanding our heating system a bit better and using it more efficiently.

You’re in the country too, yeah? Even with some nice updates and insulation, some of those country places can be quite energy hungry. And yeah, underfloor heating will add to that. Those bills sound rough, dude.

Hope everyone is able to weather this, as the prices seem absolutely brutal and times are already tight for a lot of people. Unbelievable it was allowed to get to this.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Coupled with ridiculous petrol prices and the indefinite transport strike here (which has meant the price of everyday goods has shot up), it's a right kick in the ballsack.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Somehow I’m massively in credit, probably because I’d been on estimated bills for a couple years and only just supplied my meter reading which was lower so I reckon I should be ok up until I move out in the summer.
  • Completion date set for the 22nd, although I plan to move on the 25th.

Had a call from the solicitor and she is trying to get the exchanges done today.

Exciting times.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Mortgage interest has gone up 2%, which somehow translates to a monthly payment increase of 18%. Add on the 150% increase in fuel bills, and the increased cost of food and petrol, and I think I'm fucked.
  • Are you not on a fixed rate?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    :-(

I kinda think enough people are fucked that shit is gonna kick off somewhere but I don't really know how or when it where it what exactly will happen but I hope it leads somewhere better than where we are today.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Are you not on a fixed rate?

Nope.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!