All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Well return of the rodents under the house.

Last week Noticed bait had gone after 3 weeks. Saw mouse droppings so I setup a big mouse trap and shoved a camera down there for good measure.

Yesterday revealed a big fuck off rat on the camera from Thurs evening. And the mouse trap had caught a mouse. Ffs.

Setup 3 rat traps down there now. Taken the camera out so I can forget about it for a few days… Xmas is now happening around my sisters so my mrs can relax about it rather than have everyone over tomorrow.
  • Back on the DIY this week.

Since moving in I had planned to get the double glazing and bathroom revamped on the mortgage. With everything going on its going to have to wait so tarting up what is currently the bathroom.

Job 1 loo seat. I did plan to change the brackets but the rust has seeped into the seat so new seat it is. One bracket nut has seized so I'm awaiting some anti seize from Amazon along with a seat. In the mean time I'm precariously balancing the seat on the porcelain, its that terror of sitting down with the seat up every time.

Took the old venetian blind down, the room doesnt need a blind anyway. Mirrored cupboard made of fibreboard that had got wet and expanded came off next. Replaced with a large mirror.

Need to replace the sink taps and loo roll holder too, again on order. Taps need flexis, for some reason (age?) it has been done with plastic piping at right angles.

Wall paper on the ceiling needs taking down. Underneath appears to be blue and glittery, interesting.

New light fitting installed and shave socket needs to be removed after that. Dont need a shave socket these days and its fitted on top of tiles with conduit running from the ceiling, ugly. Then a new extractor, current one sounds like it has smoked 2 packs of fags a day for 30 years.

The floor. Oh god the floor.
    Lets start with what was there. Someone in their infinite wisdom decided to lay MDF laminate flooring, cheap MDF laminate flooring. Obviously this has absorbed all liquids ALL liquids. To say around the toilet was pissy would be an understatement. Also cut myself on the piss floor so probably going to get sepsis before this is all done.

That is mostly up except the bits running under the bath.
    Whats underneath the piss floor I hear you ask. That non-slip old people, bobbly basketball like hospital flooring. This shit is glued to the floorboards so not coming up. Ive bleached it and bleached it twice more, its still stained but at least I know it is clean.
    Under the bath is a horror show of various outlines of previous baths/old people walk in showers and pretty suspect looking floorboards with a ginat hole in the corner leading to bare eart. this will all get fixed later when I can afford a full revamp. For now I'll put the side of the bath back on and just put some vinyl flooring up to it.

Finally will be the tiles. Its floor to ceiling white tiles with some super 90s dado tiling in the middle. Plan is to paint the middle bit a warm grey. Not a fan of painted tiles but it will do. Then just need to pop some sealant in the 30 odd holes that have been drilled into the tiles presumably for old people handles.

After all that it will be passable.
  • Paint a badger on the tiles.

g.man for example.
  • I do have a whole empty wall except the loo roll holder. I could do a mural as long as he doesnt mind loo roll on his chin.
  • So someone has been sniffing around our back yard.  We found the side gate to the property had been opened and the shed rifled through.  I have a strong suspicion that someone is casing our house for a burglary.  The house across the street was hit several times quite recently.

Any suggestions for a camera/cctv setup?

I'm not enamoured with the idea of a subscription model but will accept it if that's the best idea.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I do have a whole empty wall except the loo roll holder. I could do a mural as long as he doesnt mind loo roll on his chin.

How about naked G with just the loo roll hiding his modest(y).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • WAHT?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Eufy are decent and don't have any subscription. I think you need to buy a storage solution if you want to have it auto record and store clips though.
  • If you have tools like spades in the shed bring them inside for a while.
    They can be used to open patio doors and the like.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    WAHT?

You'd rather your modesty was un-hidden, huh?
  • Eufy are decent and don't have any subscription. I think you need to buy a storage solution if you want to have it auto record and store clips though.
    I use them but I've also been added aware there's some sort of issue with their privacy model now.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Pseudoscot wrote:
    So someone has been sniffing around our back yard.  We found the side gate to the property had been opened and the shed rifled through.  I have a strong suspicion that someone is casing our house for a burglary.  The house across the street was hit several times quite recently.

Any suggestions for a camera/cctv setup?

I'm not enamoured with the idea of a subscription model but will accept it if that's the best idea.

Alert your police, let them know. They will hopefully be more proactive with the patrols in the area and respond to calls much quicker.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Thanks for the tips, most appreciated.

Fortunately the shed just has cushions for the outdoor furniture and other bits of junk, no tools.

I do have an expensive pellet smoker and bbq.  The bbq is chained but the smoker isn't.  I've updated the lock on the side gate.

I'll definitely give the plod a call tomorrow.

Will check the Eufy gear out, thanks.
  • hylian_elf wrote:

That would probably stop them, yeah.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    That would probably stop them, yeah.

Or would it attract them?
  • Cheers Drew.  Some very good points there.
  • I’ve never got this urge for cctv tbh. Like drew says, it doesn’t really stop anyone it just captures an image of them caving your shed door or patio door in. Kinda horse has bolted stuff to me. Moats, guard dogs, hired militia and those long wooden stakes with spikes are probably your best line of defence. A bit shit really but this is where we are.
  • What about one of the little signs that says ‘beware of the dog’? That’ll do it.
  • We have a little sign that says 'Beware of the hamster'. We have never been burgled. Just saying.
  • In the middle of a build at the moment. Just had to go through all the floor plans and mark what lights and plug sockets we want. Also putting a proper network throughout the house so there'll be ethernet ports at places where big pieces of tech will be.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice. If I was to change one thing from our extension it would have been putting ducting in for network cabling. 

We also toyed with a subfloor safe but left it as it restricted notions of tiled floors. A small safe built into a wall would have been nice though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Any advice on painting a large room? It's about 6m * 6m and the ceilings are high. Is this a roller job? I have no idea what I'm doing.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Masking tape the fuck out of everything, small brush for around fixtures and in corners and then roller for everything else. The prep is the worst part of painting.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If you're rollering the ceiling make sure you cover everything in the room that you don't want to get covered in tiny specks of paint. It will spray no matter how careful you are.
  • Not doing the ceiling thankfully. The walls have been freshly plastered and painted recently by the guys that did up the flat to sell. I take it I can paint straight over the old stuff?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, no issues there. If for some reason the walls are dirty (cooking or smoking) it might be worth giving them a once over with sugar soap, but not strictly necessary.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bear in mind you'll probably have to paint it at least twice.
  • Cool. Cheers. I'll paint straight on and do an extra coat if needed. I bought fancy paint so hopefully one coat will do.
  • My top tip.
    Use fairy liquid to wash brushes.

I just bin rollers, they are never the same after the first use, obv you can keep the handle bit. Between coats you can wrap them in cling film or a plastic bag, same for the roller tray thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!