All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Get it fixed and get it with a proper estate agent, Strike is ok if you are willing to put in the effort but I think a normal estate agent will pay for themselves here.
  • In fact even if willing I'm not entirely convinced by Purple Bricks/Strike.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Have you got a conveyor yet? I know a good one if you need it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Get it fixed and get it with a proper estate agent, Strike is ok if you are willing to put in the effort but I think a normal estate agent will pay for themselves here.

It's not us selling it.  We wanted to buy it but were frustrated at every turn.  In the end, we agreed for it to be sold on the terms that she deals with the sale and the fees.  She's agreed to that and gone with the cheapest she could find.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • Have you got a conveyor yet? I know a good one if you need it.

This is very kind of you.  I may well come back to you on this!  Eventually.  One day.  Possibly.  Eventually.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • The house was on sale for two weeks before...! Drumroll!... It was broken into. So I guess technically it's still for sale, but with a big boarded up conservatory door. My luck is neverending!

More pain is incoming.  Finally got a garage door guy out today, who has repaired the problem.  However, he's told us that the root cause is "100%" the autolocks breaking, indicating that the door was closed onto an obstruction, and not caused by thieves trying to break into it.

Who was the last person to access the garage after the break-in?  The Brother-In-Law.  Before the police arrived, he went in to get the wood needed to board up the conservatory door, yet  didn't report that it was broken to the police until the next day when the csi came to dust for prints.

This evening I have to send a very carefully worded email to ask a few awkward questions.  Pray for me.
  • The ongoing door/steps saga continues.  They told me before Xmas that the door would be taken off and sent away to be spray painted as it would be quicker than getting the decorator to do it on site.  One, maybe two days, max.  The door was taken off on Monday and the hole boarded up.  I'm away from home dealing with some family stuff atm so was waiting for my housemate to let me know when it had gone back in.  He got a phone call today saying the door is going to be painted over the weekend.  FFS.  This job was supposed to take 2 weeks start to finish.  Tbf the quality of the work has been very good but the lack of mitigation planning is frustrating as hell.  I said at the very beginning that I like it when someone does what they say they are going to do and I like it when solutions are presented at the same time as a problem.  I'm not getting either of those now.  Project manager has started to duck my calls.  Grr.
  • I cant stand that.
    If something is gonna take a 2 days or a week or 18 months tell me and Ill make a decision.

I was going to suggest they must be used to government contracts but then you said the final quality was good.
  • lol.  Final quality has been magnificent which is why I'm not rage exploding on them.

• Close to 3 months on sale and I'm not 100% sure it's had a single viewing.  Even allowing for Xmas that's pretty bleak.

How do you convince someone to drop the asking price to a realistic level, when they've spent nearly 3 years convinced of its worth, to the point of sacrificing the family over it?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That does look pretty good to be fair. But I know nowt about prices. You would think there would be low bid nibbles....  Is the estate agent reporting to you?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's all being sorted by the in-laws, who aren't speaking to us.  The only reason I believe there's been little to no viewings is that I get notifications on my phone when they disable the alarm.  I think that's happened twice since November, and as I'm not the spying kind, I don't even know if those occasions were for viewings.
  • I know the estate agent thing is a 6-month contract, which takes us to the start of May.  At that point, I think we'll be pushing hard to take over and sell at whatever.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No way they aren't getting low bids on a house like that if it's overpriced.  Fuckwits.

The estate agent may have given up taking low bids to them.
  • But surely if they aren't even getting viewings, then there are no bids to take to them?
  • I would 100% go with a traditional estate agent before cutting the price.
    If nobody has even enquired to see it that's probably not the price that's the issue unless its wildly out, somebody would have viewed and put in a more realistic offer if that was the case.

Obv realise you aren't in charge of it all.

edit: as Davy says

edit edit: assuming its still with Strike

mega edit: a very quick search at the postcode and number of bedrooms, price seems fine.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

Close to 3 months on sale and I'm not 100% sure it's had a single viewing.  Even allowing for Xmas that's pretty bleak.

How do you convince someone to drop the asking price to a realistic level, when they've spent nearly 3 years convinced of its worth, to the point of sacrificing the family over it?

I'd they think it's worth what it was 3 years ago they're probably well off the mark. It would need to be in pristine condition to sell today for what it would have done 3 years ago.

It's a lovely looking home, but it's a bit old fashioned. I'd imagine most people looking to buy would want to modernise (fire places, ceiling roses and cornicing at least, and probably carpets in at least some of the rooms), so if the property is already priced at the top end for the size and location that's not going to give anyone any room to feel like their changes will add any value, so would feel like wasted money.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    But surely if they aren't even getting viewings, then there are no bids to take to them?

Maybe - unless they have screened you from them. Going by what you say I'd believe anything.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I would 100% go with a traditional estate agent before cutting the price.

this.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    edit: a very quick search at the postcode and number of bedrooms, price seems fine.

There's a very long story behind all that.  What I'll say is, I had 4 estate agents value it at between £275k-£310k in 2021, and last summer had another 2 value it at the same.  The house was also subject to an insurance claim for subsidence, which can drastically lower the value of a property.  Despite this, we still offered £310k last July, before eventually giving up.

I can see it ultimately going for £300k or less.  It's just a case of, how much more money is going to be spent in running costs before the in-laws accept that?
  • It's very fucking far from pristine.  When we tried to reason with them about the work that needed doing to it, we were told we were talking the house down to try and get it cheap, and that they weren't going to subsidize our holidays.

"lol"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holy fuck.

Have you kept your offer live as it were? I'd remind the estate agent if it is.
  • Forgot about the whole subsidence ordeal.

This is why they've gone with Strike then, didn't want to hear what the estate agents were telling them
  • davyK wrote:
    Holy fuck. Have you kept your offer live as it were? I'd remind the estate agent if it is.

No, we are not having it now at any price.  The in-laws live on that street and the relationship has now reached the point of near-violence, with a police reference number to prove it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Forgot about the whole subsidence ordeal. This is why they've gone with Strike then, didn't want to hear what the estate agents were telling them

They've gone with Strike for minimum expense, and maximum profit, fully in keeping with the way they've acted since day one.
  • When I sold my flat I found Strike's valuation an absolute clown show.
    Guide price then a tour via zoom call on my phone to make sure it existed.

They've probably valued it at that as well as the alure of being cheap.

In case it's not obvious I think those DIY estate agents are wank. A false economy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Holy fuck. Have you kept your offer live as it were? I'd remind the estate agent if it is.
    No, we are not having it now at any price.  The in-laws live on that street and the relationship has now reached the point of near-violence, with a police reference number to prove it.

Fuck that then. I presume your wife/partner is entitled to a share though (have forgot all the details of this saga but I have been following it).  Pity that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    When I sold my flat I found Strike's valuation an absolute clown show. Guide price then a tour via zoom call on my phone to make sure it existed. They've probably valued it at that as well as the alure of being cheap. In case it's not obvious I think those DIY estate agents are wank. A false economy.

This. You need a local agent. Yep estate agents are estate agents but a good local one will do a good job.
  • Wow, we paid that for a much smaller 3 bed with smaller garden.
    Prices up north are silly
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    In case it's not obvious I think those DIY estate agents are wank. A false economy.

Absolutely positively 100% this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!