All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • If it's going to a closing date it suggests that they've had at least two "notes of interest", i.e. people who have indicated an intention (but not a commitment, mind) to make an offer.  Bidding is sealed - you basically have to go in with what you hope is the highest offer and then the sellers pick which offer to accept.  In almost all cases it'll be the highest bid, obviously.
  • Edit: Oops, will post this in the "Ask a Badger" thread.

x
  • Unlikely wrote:
    If it's going to a closing date it suggests that they've had at least two "notes of interest", i.e. people who have indicated an intention (but not a commitment, mind) to make an offer.  Bidding is sealed - you basically have to go in with what you hope is the highest offer and then the sellers pick which offer to accept.  In almost all cases it'll be the highest bid, obviously.
    Jesus. That’s terrifying!
    So do you not get to make multiple bids then?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • In my personal experience, it's a sealed, final bid from each of the parties.  I think it's specifically to prevent bidding wars, because the winning bidder gets assurance that they won't get gazumped a week down the line.

x
  • Gulp!
  • g.man wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    If it's going to a closing date it suggests that they've had at least two "notes of interest", i.e. people who have indicated an intention (but not a commitment, mind) to make an offer.  Bidding is sealed - you basically have to go in with what you hope is the highest offer and then the sellers pick which offer to accept.  In almost all cases it'll be the highest bid, obviously.
    Jesus. That’s terrifying! So do you not get to make multiple bids then?

Nope, one chance.
  • Double gulp!
  • I really want this flat, so I guess I have to have a long night of the soul checking my financial calculations, and get some advice from my solicitor...and then if I'm really serious, I'm going to have to go large with my bid?
  • I don't know the property market in Glasgow but if there's a lot of interest then the "offers over" figure is likely way less than what it'll go for.  Problem is you just don't know what others are prepared to bid.  We bid more than 10% over the asking price to get this house - who knows whether we could have gone lower and still got it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I understand the logic behind it but for the buyer that's a pretty fucked up way of buying anything.
  • Yeah, it's a sellers market at the mo. Quite unprecedented demand currently I'm told. :(
  • That's good, cos we are going on sale this time next week.

Sorry for the insensitivity there!
    x
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Yeah, it's a sellers market at the mo. Quite unprecedented demand currently I'm told. :(

Whatever your bid, keep a sense of proportion. A bid takes seconds to make but years to live with. If this is your first property purchase then bear that in mind. It's really easy to become impatient. If you don't win then learn from it for the next time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Absolutely Davy. It's all good advice.
    My circumstances are probably unusual though.
    First time buyer in mid 50s. Huge cash deposit, and (hopefully) tiny 10 year mortgage to make up the shortfall, and the final kicker of course is that I'm self employed.
  • I do already have the agreement in principal for the mortgage btw.
  • You probably already know, but be aware that interest rates are highly likely to be going up again soon.  If your mortgage agreement is a variable rate one, it could be a little shock.

I've paid fixed the whole time.  I've probably overpaid for 10 years because of it, but at least I knew what the payment was each month, and it would never change.

x
  • Always good to know. Thanks Kris.
  • g.man wrote:
    I’m just a total noob at all this, so if any of you kind badgers can elaborate on the process it would be super helpful. thanks G.

I think everyone’s answered your questions, but just in case it helps …

Yes, the Scots system feels nuts as a buyer. It’s really stressful because it’s a closed auction process.

It is a bidding war, but you only get to make the one bid. That’s it.

You do it by telling your solicitor how much to offer. They write a letter making the official bid - this is your offer in principle that we talked about earlier. So the letter says something like “My client Mr G will pay £££££ to buy the flat on XX date on the condition that he gets his mortgage, and he’s happy with the surveys, etc.”

That letter can also stress how brilliant your position is, as a buyer. No chain, big deposit, mortgage all set to roll.

The only thing you will hear back after the closing date is whether or not you won. No other details. Your solicitor will phone and let you know.

If you win, than after that you and your solicitor can start digging into the detail of the deeds, requesting clarification on anything you find in there, asking to see safety certs for the gas, and all that sort of gubbins. Some people use this point to ask for things like bits of furniture to be included in the sale, and so on. That’s part and parcel of the negotiation between solicitors that should eventually lead to ‘concluding the missives’ which is basically the moment you sign a contract.

Don’t panic when it feels like that takes forever. Property solicitors love to leave it all until the very last minute. Often the day of handover.
  • Basically G, you’re about to enter the ‘posting poker playing gifs’ part of the process.

Godspeed and good luck.

It’s not always the highest bid that wins. Some sellers have additional priorities - maybe they want a quick sale, or maybe they’ve been fucked around in the past and want the security of a no-chain buyer like yourself.

For general reference - in the West End of Glasgow, flats can go for 10, 20, even 25% over the ‘offers over’ price. I haven’t looked in a year, so those figures might be out of date. And places go fast. I’ve seen flats go on the market on Friday night and then to a closing date within the next week. It is what it is. The West End is still desirable, and there’s a lot of competition.
  • There is another way to do things. If you see a place you love, you can call the estate agent and make them a verbal offer. Say that you’ll pay £x for them to take it off the market right now. It usually won’t shortcut the process, but it can. Usually, because it’s very much a seller’s market, all it will do is push the seller to set a closing date - because they’ll still want to have that bidding war. But in other places, outside the bubble, making an informal offer can work - the seller can just say “fuck it, yeah.”
  • Some sellers, like me in the coming weeks, would prefer to sell to a first time buyer, to speed up the process and avoid painful chains.  I'd happily accept a lower bid from a first-time buyer who has the mortgage agreed in principle, than a higher bid from someone who needs to put their own property on the market in order to fund it.

Might be worth making that note clear in your bid?

x
  • Super helpful stuff guys. Thank you very much. It’s all such a minefield when you haven’t done it before.
  • I would have been screwed without Mrs poprock to explain it all to me. She’s a ninja with this stuff.

Honestly don’t know how I managed to buy a flat without her when I was younger.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Being the end of a chain - in other words being a first time buyer (or just someone with the total price in cash) - does make you more attractive and it can swing things - perhaps even in a blind auction if it's close.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • We know two other people offered more than we did for our house, but we were the ones with the most secure offer. 

We had a flat to sell, but already had a buyer lined up - and they were a first-time buyer to boot, so minimal risk. 

And we knew that the people selling this house had two prior buyers pull out or fall through - so they really wanted a solid deal this time. So that’s how we got the place for less money.
  • This is all great to know. Thank you. :)
  • So.
    Closing date is tomorrow at noon.
    Already there are three offers and two notes of interest in.
    I'm going to have to bet the farm to stand a chance of getting this, and I'm still far from confident.
    Doesn't break my budget, but it is at the absolute limit of what I'd planned to spend.

I would dearly love to get this one tho, so I guess it's poker face time.
    Solicitor going to phone me early doors tomorrow, then we'll get my bid in.

fucking bricking it

g.man
  • ...and I'm having root canal treatment mid afternoon.
  • What a time to be alive!
  • Good luck mate, everything crossed for you
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!