PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I reckon free loot boxes would still be a gateway drug to gambling
  • Yup. In the fucking bin with the lot of it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I believe there are free lootboxes on roulette apps.
  • There’s probably close to infinite purchasable content in Roblox because premium users can create content that they can then sell, the company take a cut of that revenue too.

Roblox also isn’t a game in the strict sense... it is a client that you download games in. The company and players can make games, with players making the most content. Many of them are free but you can also charge people to buy games -if a player has spent money on objects to make their game (cosmetics to differentiate AI perhaps) then they might charge a nominal fee to recoup that.

Games can also have micro transactions in them, for things like extra storage space in that game, or extra items and cosmetics in that game. I believe this is where most of the outrageous purchases come from. It’s a unique ecosystem, basically a totally insular platform like the App Store except it’s all made with Roblox assets, and can be heavily curated by the developers.

The regular subscriptions tend to offer a player free Robux every day, but the capacity for whales is obviously there. In a weird twist on this stuff, you can actually make money from Roblox. Because you can charge people for items you’ve made or games you’ve made, you can after fulfilling certain criteria join a club that lets you trade the in-game currency for real money.

I imagine that the company are very careful about the image that Roblox presents to parents because of how it is effectively a microcosm of the entire app store industry within one game. Stories tend to bubble up about it every so often, but this is the biggest amount i’ve seen spent on it.

Not at all defending the practice of how this Roblox stuff works, but I think it’s important to know how and why money is spent on these things, and why it’s so popular.
  • g.man wrote:
    Yup. In the fucking bin with the lot of it.

So you've never enjoyed panini stickers or anything? No time unlocks in any game? All games should have 100% content available from the off?
  • What is the defense for time unlocks?

Cheers for that post Tempy.
    It sounds really quite confusing for something primarily played by young kids. Seems to me like there should at least be some kind of payment restriction or auto notification warnings sent to parent's accounts.
  • I know it has fairly extensive parental options for communication and so on, but I dunno how the extended to purchases.
  • nick_md wrote:
    So you've never enjoyed panini stickers or anything? No.

No time unlocks in any game? No.

All games should have 100% content available from the off? This is a daft statement. Nobody is saying that. Games just shouldn't be designed where the unlocking of content is facilitated by gambling mechanics. It's a rancid practice designed from the ground up to generate massive revenues for publishers.
  • G’s too old for Panini, he probably tore up a rare... (shit i don’t know any footballers) to use as a roach.
  • I bet(!) that how players react to the free stuff is all being recorded and analysed and either companies will use it in the future to hunt whales or individuals are putting the experience on their CV so they can move to a developer where it isn't free.
  • This is pretty much the only kind of Panini Sticker I'm likely to be bigging-up...
    NbCIbqo.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe I'm a bit inconsistent... or at least, presentationally, something like Rocket League which gives you a random cosmetic after a match (with no song n dance) feels more palatable even than Forza with its roulette wheels of ooh you nearly won a porche but here have a t-shirt instead.  Maybe there are ways that a bit of randomness in progress/reward is OK.  But I don't think loot boxes is it.

• This is a really interesting video about a guy who spent £400 pounds on a single transaction but that is really the end of the experiment. He gives himself a grand and sees if he can spend it and actually struggles to do so (even the £400 feels like he Forced himself to do so).

nicks points are fair - it’s not inherently exploitative- but I think the genie is too far out the bottle and it’s too easy for the bad stuff to happen and the mechanisms used can be really bad.
  • g.man wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    So you've never enjoyed panini stickers or anything? No.

No time unlocks in any game? No.

All games should have 100% content available from the off? This is a daft statement. Nobody is saying that. Games just shouldn't be designed where the unlocking of content is facilitated by gambling mechanics. It's a rancid practice designed from the ground up to generate massive revenues for publishers.

Are gambling mechanics bad if no money is involved? Are you saying chance should be removed from all games? (I know that's not what you're saying, because that would be ridiculous, but I'm using hyperbole to illustrate a point)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As above, I don't think "no money involved" immediately makes them OK.  There's obviously a grey area between blatant gambling, and e.g. rolling a dice in monopoly, it's not that surprising that people have different views on where lines on where OK stops (and, within that, there's obviously nuance between what is adults-only-labelled-as-gambling and kids-can-do-it etc.).
  • The panini angle sticks for me around my fifa consumption. There's definite obvious parallels. But, its still a gamble on something so it's gambling.

I've been on both sides, love and hate with FUT. I've been up and down and all around with it. And I'm sure it would be easy enough to find me contradicting myself. But I can also admit I've definitely spent 3 figures on fifa points since getting Fifa 20. There is enjoyment there for me, and I've never spent money I didn't have, but it's absolutely not for kids.

I don't want FUT outlawed, I'd just like it if it was very clearly spelled out for people exactly what it is. If that takes a govt mandated warning on the box, so be it.

There's a lot to FUT that people don't know, in here too. I'd be happy to stream it and answer questions if people want.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not sure my panini stickers cake with overt explosive fireworks, party animations and other such trappings to make me do the same again. The best I ever got was a shiny. Comparing these doesn't make sense.
  • Christ, I'm only drawing a parallel to the same sport then. Then I collected players. Now I do too, that's it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I posted about my issues with gambling in the past and my fuckup with one Fifa (17 or 18 iirc). Spent about 400 quid on FUT packs without playing a single match of Fifa. Literally took out a salary advance to chase the thrill.

Its a quite horrendous 'thrill' exactly similar to gambling when it gets a claw in, especially to someone susceptible to going down the rabbit hole like myself.

I binned off Fifa 20 after spending over 70 quid on packs again and will never touch it again. Its an horrendous piece of shit and fuck EA.
  • I do apologise DS if my posting of teams etc around that time fuelled that in any way.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nah wasnt you or anyone really mate, I always make the mistake of watching streams etc so seeing 'pulls' from those amplifies it.

My own fault for keep being pulled into it.
  • People always bring in the argument that these Gatcha games are the same as football stickers but while the first seems easy to ban nobody would consider banning football stickers.

On some level they are similar but there are far to many details (the waiting, the material benefits of the item, the fact stickers can be completed and you can pay a reasonable fee to finish off the set) that make in game randomness far more challenging.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm not sure my panini stickers cake with overt explosive fireworks, party animations and other such trappings to make me do the same again. The best I ever got was a shiny. Comparing these doesn't make sense.

Of course it makes sense.

There are differences but they're in the same sphere of discussion.

Ultimately this boils down to how to protect children and those vulnerable to gambling from hurt (financial).

• FUT would be less fucking awful if you could move over your cards each year. Or at least move over all your 'retired player' cards.

I'm assuming that's not possible. I don't really know.
  • I posted about my issues with gambling in the past and my fuckup with one Fifa (17 or 18 iirc). Spent about 400 quid on FUT packs without playing a single match of Fifa. Literally took out a salary advance to chase the thrill.

Its a quite horrendous 'thrill' exactly similar to gambling when it gets a claw in, especially to someone susceptible to going down the rabbit hole like myself.

I binned off Fifa 20 after spending over 70 quid on packs again and will never touch it again. Its an horrendous piece of shit and fuck EA.

That is really rough mate. I'm glad you got a grip of it before getting too seriously in a hole.

I've felt those claws get in a few times over the years. Not on FUT but other stuff.
    Luckily I have always caught myself before spending more than say £40, but I knew the sensation was there.
  • g.man wrote:
  • The Panini analogy is sound I reckon. Although there's an implicit assumption there that Panini stickers were fine. Maybe they weren't. It's a pretty shitty way to sell stuff to children and it's not like our age group don't suffer from football related gambling problems. Anyway it was very hard to piss £4,000 up the wall down the newsagent. So I think the problem is one of extent. And putting that stuff inside a game that's already designed to be addictive and compulsive that can be played for hours on end. Games of chance where the risks and rewards are kept completely in-game are fine.
  • Ultimate Team is only like Panini if your mum threw out your collection every year and told you to start again.
  • Also the collection was infinite and wasn’t bought with poketmoney and the value of individual things is essentially equivalent.

Unlike panini each player has a monetary value - whereas id be okay swapping a Dennis Bergkamp for a [shit player] if it helped fill my book up.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ultimate Team is only like Panini if your mum threw out your collection every year and told you to start again.

Tbf there was a new album every year.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!