Hmm... Well I never knew that....
  • JonB wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    True, I guess.  But if detecting the amount of energy within the air that you're in contact with is to be filed as the same thing as detecting the pressure of something you push against - then aren't all senses just touch as well?  Detecting photons of light on your retina - is that touching?  Detecting chemical compounds on your tongue - surely that's touch too then?  Same for the stuff going on in your nose.  As for detecting vibrations in the air against a drum - that seems at least as much tangibly touch as detecting temperature change is.  So, based on that, all senses are touch.
    I think you can draw a line between things that you sense when they make contact with your skin/body in general and things that have to make contact with a specific organ to register. Light photons anywhere other than your eye don't do anything, it's a specific sense separate from the others. It's not really a stretch to bundle together the effects of external stimuli on your skin - pressure, pain, heat etc. - and see those as distinct from the other senses.

Also, when you describe sense in this way it suggests a reason why balance and proprioception wouldn't be in the same category. They're internal systems rather than reactions to or ways of interpreting external data.

In my completely made up as I went along opinion.
    Balance uses gravity though, that’s external data. Time is a weird one. Not body clock stuff but just knowing you’ve probably been sat down reading a book for about half an hour without looking at a clock. What’s that all about?
  • monkey wrote:
    Balance uses gravity though, that’s external data.
    OK. Perhaps put that differently. Senses are what enable us to understand the physical properties of the external world.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    With no external data then proprioception is the only sense
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • JonB wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    True, I guess.  But if detecting the amount of energy within the air that you're in contact with is to be filed as the same thing as detecting the pressure of something you push against - then aren't all senses just touch as well?  Detecting photons of light on your retina - is that touching?  Detecting chemical compounds on your tongue - surely that's touch too then?  Same for the stuff going on in your nose.  As for detecting vibrations in the air against a drum - that seems at least as much tangibly touch as detecting temperature change is.  So, based on that, all senses are touch.
    I think you can draw a line between things that you sense when they make contact with your skin/body in general and things that have to make contact with a specific organ to register. Light photons anywhere other than your eye don't do anything, it's a specific sense separate from the others. It's not really a stretch to bundle together the effects of external stimuli on your skin - pressure, pain, heat etc. - and see those as distinct from the other senses. Also, when you describe sense in this way it suggests a reason why balance and proprioception wouldn't be in the same category. They're internal systems rather than reactions to or ways of interpreting external data. In my completely made up as I went along opinion.

Yes, but..  Pain and pressure are equally internal as much as external senses.  Balance uses external as well as internal stimuli.  So we're back to arbitrary distinctions.  But I agree - the "5 senses" is a logical approach in terms of saying "these are the 5 things that help you understand the outside world", even if I'd still argue temperature is a discrete sense in and of itself.  There isn't a right answer - though I'd still argue that teaching that there are only 5 senses is a wrong one.  

For me, the closest to right is still "one or lots", partly because when we talk about the senses we're trying to break down as separate entities a bunch of things that don't really exist in that way.  I wasn't being purely flippant when I suggested you could call it all just "a bunch of brain stuff".  Whether or not you experience something depends to a large degree on your brain rather than any of the multitude of inter-related sensors in your body.

I don't know.  Maybe instead of external and internal we need to distinguish subconscious and conscious senses.  Hearing, sight, pain, touch, temperature, taste, even smell are senses that our brains to some degree selectively register and edit.  Whereas things like proprioception or balance just happen naturally in the background and never really enter our consciousness at all (unless they go wrong).  So perhaps there's a more useful distinction to be made there.  

Though I'm kind of making it up as I go along too.  Like I say, to the best of my knowledge I don't think there's any consensus as yet as to what exactly "the senses" are.
  • Yeah, I get that's it's not clear cut. But I do think the 5 senses approach is still basically fine as a way of thinking about it. In the end it's how you sense stuff around you, and each sense is attributable to different 'equipment' that deals with different stimuli (e.g. the retina and light). Touch is always the most vague, of course.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    even if I'd still argue temperature is a discrete sense in and of itself.

That’s because you studied medicine and not physics. ;op
  • "Physicist to the rescue". So, whats going on here?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is the discrete/continuous concept not more about pure mathematics as opposed to its applications?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Jazzie B's son plays right-back for Millwall.
  • Touch is such a broad term though. I'd lump sensing temperature and pain in there for sure. For me touch equals feeling.
    Feeling the effects of external stimuli on my person. I feel cold,this wall feels rough etc. Also heat is radiated through the air isn't it? So you are still touching the hot air?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • No you're sensing the IR radiation. The air isn't as hot as the hot think you're sensing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!