Grand Theft Auto V
  • A long post, sorry.

I've been playing the PC version of this for a few days now. Having played it a lot on the 360 I'm finding that the nicer graphics, new tunes and first-person perspective are keeping it fresh. I downloaded a completed story save though, as I couldn't be bothered playing through the missions again, in particular I didn't want to pull teeth in first-person. That said, Trevor is the best character so I also didn't want to wait for him to make an appearance. Franklin and Michael are pretty dull. Especially Michael. And Franklin.

It's a strange beast. Driving, flying, cycling, boating, parachuting and swimming are so chilled out at times, especially with the right tune on the radio. The world is unsurpassed, the attention to detail is amazing, the graphics are a marvel. For me games are for chilling out, this is so perfect for that that it makes most other games redundant.

It really feels as though it is pulling in two directions though. This perfect, beautiful playground makes some of the design decisions seem all the more off. A few questionable missions aside, I don't mind the violence, it's easy to avoid it or indulge in it as I see fit. Playing as Trevor makes sense of it, too. I quite like 'talking' to random pedestrians as he's such a scumbag and things usually degenerate into fisticuffs and a run from the law. It's enjoyable to be so immoral.

I don't think it's as good as IV, though and some of the changes they've made don't make sense to me. Pedestrians come out with some interesting sound bites but I can't stand near people to listen without them walking away from me, attacking me or insulting me. The characters seem more aggressive than ever. It might be a clever commentary on the nature of humans and their inability to be happy but it feels strange.

The physics for the cars, and especially the motorbikes, just aren't as rewarding, they're too simplified and twitchy. The damage isn't as weighty, cars don't smoke and then catch fire in as enjoyable a way. Explosions don't chain as satisfyingly. The Euphoria physics are a bit neutered compared to IV. The cops are too deadly. It doesn't require as much skill to play as IV, so it's not quite as meditative to play. If that makes sense.

I've played lots of games and I think overall GTA is my favourite series, certainly the one I've spent the most time with. Exploring the worlds has always been the draw, along with the freedom to do whatever you like. I can't think of a series with so many games that has kept the bar so high.

I think they need to be a bit smarter though, the satire is so all pervasive that it becomes a bit draining. A great deal of the content and dialogue is ugly, but the world is beautiful. It's not that things need to be removed or censored just that they need to find a middle ground so that the highs and lows stand out a little more, otherwise the overall tone is a little too seedy.

Or alternatively they can keep doing exactly what they're doing, selling millions of copies, making billions and not worry what I think. It's still a completely amazing game.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    GTA IV was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. San Andreas had everything but the story; GTA IV was the story. And in both cases, Houser was lousy.

He's the Cage around the series' neck. Vice City bypassed him by cribbing directly from its sources.
  • Nah, I'm with Trippy on this.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I agree, the stories are always overlong, disjointed and a bit rubbish. There's some good writing for certain characters and scenes but as a whole they're shambolic. For me, Red Dead Redemption is the only satisfying story Rockstar have made.

Loved GTAIV, though - the physics, the city, the soundtrack. Highlight of the generation for me, though I'm in a minority. Gay Tony was great, too and added a few more cracking tunes.

Horses for courses but there was definitely a lot more to it than just story. The gameplay in San Andreas is incredibly clunky in comparison, almost unplayable now, the nuts and bolts of the game evolved greatly for GTAIV.

I knew I was going to love it from the moment they used Pruitt-Igoe on the trailer and while that make me a special kind of tosser and while they didn't quite hit those heights, it was a minor masterpiece.
  • It is shiny. Think I prefer the original stylised look though.

I can understand the desire for photorealism, and he is really trying to make it look like a photo here, along with all the aberrations, but it leaves me a little cold.

I felt the same with the ENB series in GTAIV and mods to change the cars to real ones and the Times Square billboards to Coca Cola and the like.

(Just my 2p, it's an interesting video)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah, I appreciate the effort, but he's just tweaking Uncanny Valley's nips.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    My mum bought me a TV for my 14th, and I was a bit pissy 'cause it didn't have a remote. She tried to find a compatible one several times. I still feel bad about how much of an arse I was as a teenager.
  • Amazing...

Grand Theft Auto 5 outsold almost every game in January

http://flip.it/V4tLP
  • It wasn't even in a sale was it?!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Former president of Rockstar North Leslie Benzies is suing Take-Two Interactive for $150m

Amazing amount of money. I wonder if that's the beginning of the end for GTA as well.
  • That's a lot of deep-fried mars bars...
  • Interesting.
  • Saw that earlier. The GTA games always seem to get impressive mods don't they. 
    Some people must have way too much time on their hands.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Nice video, shame about the song.

• Looks like Rockstar play trackmania. Looks fun. Kind of makes me wish I still played online gta
  • Looks reet good. Is it free?
  • They really fucked this by releasing it over two different gens sadly.
  • Fucked how?  It's just not coming out on the old consoles.
  • Because we all boughted the last gen version and didn't rebuy the current gen version.
  • g.man wrote:
    They really fucked me by releasing it over two different gens sadly.

ftfy

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • g.man wrote:
    They really fucked this by releasing it over two different gens sadly.

Grand Theft Auto Online was the single largest source of profit for the company during its last financial quarter.

I'm not sure that entirely counts as fucking it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • g.man wrote:
    Because we all boughted the last gen version and didn't rebuy the current gen version.

I did.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!