Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and buy Roujcoin now [ROU]
  • The idea (trackable ownership contracts) is getting mixed up with some sketchy things (paying inflated prices for badly drawn avatar pics).

We’re at the point where it would be difficult to use the idea for anything worthwhile instead, because the word/acronym NFT is starting to mean ‘overpriced avatar pics’ to most people who hear it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye a lot of the utter bilge I see posted by both the pro and anti brigade on twitter is enough to make me ignore all discourse surrounding it. As ever with social media its just utter noise from both sides.
  • poprock wrote:
    The idea (trackable ownership contracts) is getting mixed up with some sketchy things (paying inflated prices for badly drawn avatar pics). We’re at the point where it would be difficult to use the idea for anything worthwhile instead, because the word/acronym NFT is starting to mean ‘overpriced avatar pics’ to most people who hear it.

Is there an example of how this could be used for something worthwhile?
  • Its just a blockchain application isn't it?
    So all the usual ways blockchain could feasibly be useful.
  • Is there an example of how this could be used for something worthwhile?

So far I’ve seen nothing using blockchain-secured NFTs that couldn’t be more simply done with a normal old-fashioned legal agreement/contract.

I figure that an NFT is basically just a receipt stored on a blockchain. So it’s a receipt that can be tracked, and the ownership history of something could be traced in a secure, unfuckable way. I don’t see, at all, why it’s only being applied to shonky digital ‘art’ at the moment. If it’s such a great system, why aren’t we using for our cars, instead of still posting off V5 forms? Why aren’t we using to track ownership and prove originality of fine art - real paintings and sculptures? Why isn’t it being used for the land registry?

Is it because, actually, the system’s not that perfect after all?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It is being used for land registry in foreign countries. LTO is working with the UN to offer this system in war torn countries so that property cannot be pillaged or stripped. They are also using it for 'general' property (currently in partnership with a company) and other, more ideal concepts.

Its still infant tech and as such has been overtaken by dudebros looking for a dollar. It just takes time.

https://unhabitat.org/un-habitat-oict-and-lto-network-release-first-open-source-urban-land-registry-solution-for-the
  • That makes sense to me. When the world’s major law firms start using this sort of tech to secure contracts of ownership, then we should be more interested. Right now it’s just the geeks (trying to work out the tech and regulation properly) and the chancers (trying to make a fast buck before things get regulated).
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah LTO is one of the few 'good' crypto orgs out there, putting the tech to clear, proper use. Others will spring up as time goes on and the tech will advance. Its still a tradeable asset but that's because the LTO token is designed to be kept at a relatively low price as its an access token. So anyone can use or access the network at a sufficiently cheap price via purchase of the token etc.

Then you have Cumrocket, Shib and the other shitfuck bollocks which is just $$$$$$.

And then you have the other, primarily twitter counter that all crypto is bad because reasons and it becomes a cacophany of heads banging against walls, as with all debates like these. Quite a lot is shit, quite a lot has use.

• Its a form of digital certification of ownership.
    So its as good as the body that owns/controls the database. Same as any cryptocurrency really. The whole thing is propped up on people not calling bollocks on those databases but of course those involved wont do that because it will devalue their assets, nor will the people selling into it.

With real art I would say the systems that prop that up are just older but similarly reliant on faith. Faith in experts who can certify authenticity and slips of paper proving ownership. Of course a physical thing is always easier to track.

Land Registry is tied into laws and governments. If society fails or shifts the land registry will fail too. People will take what they decide is theirs. Its just much less likely than a random .com with a spreadsheet falling over.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Most everything is reliant on 'faith' to some extent. Its just another way of securing an asset to some degree. Paperwork can burn, computer databases can break and wipe but the concept of blockchain certification is that contract should always be there as long as you have means to access it.

However if Eth or similar were to be rugpulled then there we go. The network would still exist, however, and the token will as when minted it cannot be deleted or edited so if property changes hand, new token requiring and there's the paper trail.

• LivDiv wrote:
    Its a form of digital certification of ownership. So its as good as the body that owns/controls the database.

The whole point is that nobody owns the database though. That’s the big idea behind blockchain, isn’t it? The decentralisation.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Its a form of digital certification of ownership. So its as good as the body that owns/controls the database.

The whole point is that nobody owns the database though. That’s the big idea behind blockchain, isn’t it? The decentralisation.

Yes.

Well, dependent on which ecosystem it is. Some are centralised. Eth, Solana, Polygon (the big three bar BTC) etc are decentralised.
  • So the faith falls on each other then.
    Probably the people(s) with the greatest ownership or influence. People like Musk Tweeting about selling large chunks.
  • There is definitely a use value in having access to a secure, internationally-distributed contracting and ledger mechanism, but it's very boring and internal to organisations, supply chain business, etc. The froth about coins and tokens and collectibles is non-stop charlatanism pwning little people.
  • Big boy Pogs innit.
  • Best summary I've encountered recently is "imagine a culture populated entirely by Turtle from Entourage".
  • Cheers Folks - I get the value in the system if it is reliable (an untamperable record of ownership)

I just dont get why so much money is being spunked on the most worthless aspects of it. Again, I feel I'm missing something but the best example is the original tweet by the tweet guy, Jack Twitter. That sold for 2.9 million. I dont understand why a tweet could reach any value point, let alone 2.9 million
    SFV - reddave360
  • Because rich people are unimaginative dickheads.
  • Probably a bit of this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania
    Many individuals suddenly became rich. A golden bait hung temptingly out before the people, and, one after the other, they rushed to the tulip marts, like flies around a honey-pot. Every one imagined that the passion for tulips would last for ever, and that the wealthy from every part of the world would send to Holland, and pay whatever prices were asked for them. The riches of Europe would be concentrated on the shores of the Zuyder Zee, and poverty banished from the favoured clime of Holland. Nobles, citizens, farmers, mechanics, seamen, footmen, maidservants, even chimney sweeps and old clotheswomen, dabbled in tulips

Though NFTs are arguably much shitter than tulips.
  • The worth of something to cryptobros is how much they think they’ll be able to sell it for at some later date.
  • Also, wash trading, tax avoidance and money laundering.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blockchain could be a useful tech as a distributed ledger. Its claims of immutability are strong , certainly as it grows , but it would depend on the voracity of the custodian(s).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blockchain’s a magic spreadsheet in the cloud that can’t be fucked around with.

NFTs are ID tags stored on that secure magic spreadsheet. 

Those ID tags can be used to pretend a digital thing is actually a one-of-a-kind ‘original’, because only one unique ID tag for it exists. 

Shit art is still shit art, even when it has a unique ID and a high price tag.

Cryptocurrency is ‘digital money’ - currency stored on the magic blockchain spreadsheet instead of in the traditional magic spreadsheets of high street banks.

There’s no reason for NFTs to be tied in to cryptocurrency (even though they both run on the same underlying blockchain technology) but for some reason they currently are.
  • That’s not aimed at anyone, btw - I’m just trying to figure out simple ways of talking about this stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Most NFTs aren't actually tied to a cryptocurrency, apart from when purchasing. The only 'NFT' crypto is the gaming space, such as ENJ, AXS, ALICE and CHR (the one I made good profit on back in Jan), which offer in app crypto rewards for playing (ENJ, CHR), normally their own token, or require their own token (AXS, ALICE) to play the game with.

The only real outlier is CHZ, which is the sports NFT fan token thing which is tied with City, Barca, Real, PSG and multitudes of others.

Most the art stuff is just hosted on a chain usually ETH, then purchased with that crypto.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    PYR is the current big NFT gaming thing along with SAND. DIO should be the next big one (if you wanna gamble some dollar). Not launched yet but a lot of buzz and scope for MaD gAiNz if in early.
  • No thanks to all of that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Not really expecting anyone to considering there's only about 4 peeps on here I know who touch crypto. I've been out for several months due to circumstances etc, but still keep an eye on the space.
  • It feels at the moment like NFTs are being primarily used as an excuse to move crypto money around. And at the consumer end, they’re being used to turn shitty JPGs into status symbols.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oh yeah almost certainly. There's been twitter threads showing NFTs being bought for mad prices rhen sold for more with funds traced to the same wallet address. Basically money laundering etc.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!