The Apple Thread
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    You guys. C'mon now. All we really need to know is where the headphone jack is. Top or bottom? On a more serious note, have they finally ditched lightning on the iPhones and joined the rest of the world (and the rest of their own product range) and switched to USB-C?
    Is this not for the same reason as them using the 30-pin connector instead of USB before: the lack of audio channels in USB which prevents docked audio accessories? Arguably it may be time to switch to full wireless for audio too, mind.

Eh? USB C carries audio.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Is MagSafe charging any good? I’m completely out of the loop now as I’m still using an iPhone 6. Will be getting a 13 Pro and it looks like I’ve got to buy a charging plug too. Should I just get that or go with this newfangled MagSafe charger?

You can use your current plug and cable to charge a 13 pro. They'd just like you to buy a new plug.

Can I ask out of interest why you're looking at the Pro models?

x

Ah! Good news about the charging plug. Cheers. As for why Pro? I’m not big on constantly upgrading my gadgets. If I can make the phone I buy next last 8 to 9 years then that’s okay with me. So this is a special treat, and I figured I’d get the best of what’s available.
    Get schwifty.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Is this not for the same reason as them using the 30-pin connector instead of USB before: the lack of audio channels in USB which prevents docked audio accessories? Arguably it may be time to switch to full wireless for audio too, mind.
    Eh? USB C carries audio.

I have no idea, tbh. But I'd be happy to have a normal 3.5mm headphone jack and a USB-C port on my next iPhone, if that's what it takes. That way I can take all my techy gubbins with me and just one charging cable.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    You guys. C'mon now. All we really need to know is where the headphone jack is. Top or bottom? On a more serious note, have they finally ditched lightning on the iPhones and joined the rest of the world (and the rest of their own product range) and switched to USB-C?

Eh? USB C carries audio.

As in, audio signals not digital signals which can be converted into audio?
  • If you mean analog signals, yes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fair enough, it’s not that then.
  • So who is getting the 13? If so, which midel and what are you upgrading from?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m considering the 13 Pro, upgrading from my X which I dropped recently and which hasn’t been particularly well-behaved since.

The pro feels like a bit of an indulgence, but there are definitely times when I miss having a proper zoom for photos. The improved low light photos are a big appeal as well although that’s also available on the non-pro models. I also have 5G included in my contract, it’s be nice to be able to take advantage of that.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Going from a iPhone 6 with a whopping 16gb to a 13 Pro with 256gb.
    Get schwifty.
  • How do you all play new games on phones so old?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I don’t play games on my phone.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yup.  Zero interest in playing smartphone games.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Got to say, I’ve been considering a Backbone too. Might be nice to have some sort of mobile gaming option with non-touch controls, especially with Xcloud.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I play solitaire quite and bit and the occasional bash at Three’s.

I bought a 12 about 3 months ago. This is my tactic now. Wait until close to the next model announcement and wait for the discount on the older model. Any kinks will have been ironed out and I don’t pay a premium.

Will probably upgrade every three years now as the gains are so incremental.
  • I've a 12 pro so i'm waiting this years out as there just doesn't seem to be a big enough difference for me to warrant the thing.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I've got an SE second generation, and I plan on using it until it disintegrates. This is known in the biz as pulling a Raiziel.
    Raiziel wrote:
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m considering the 13 Pro, upgrading from my X which I dropped recently and which hasn’t been particularly well-behaved since.

The pro feels like a bit of an indulgence, but there are definitely times when I miss having a proper zoom for photos. The improved low light photos are a big appeal as well although that’s also available on the non-pro models. I also have 5G included in my contract, it’s be nice to be able to take advantage of that.

Zoom is something you don't realise you miss until you get a phone that has it. I use the zoom lense on my S20 FE far more than the wide-angle one.
  • Is anyone buying iPhones at this point for their iTunes library? Or for Apple Music?
  • Yeah, I need my iPhone to take my music with me into the car. Wouldn’t ever want to lose that, or rely on streaming sources instead.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not sure I understand the question. I keep my iTunes library on my phone, yes, although that’s not a huge part of the reason I buy iPhones, pretty sure I could get my iTunes library on an Android with not a huge amount of extra hassle if needs be.
  • I'm seriously considering switching to an all apple eco system in about a year. Will be very interested to see if Windows 11 new Android focus helps catch up grounds but the lure of the big A is strong at the moment.  At the moment while my laptop, phone and tablet all kinda connect and sync up, it doesnt seem to be nearly as fluid or intuitive as the Apple set-up.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    I've got an SE second generation, and I plan on using it until it disintegrates. This is known in the biz as pulling a Raiziel.
    Raiziel wrote:

Haha.  I would have waited until next year’s update if I could have, but over the last few months I’ve noticed apps aren’t getting updated.  The Amazon app stopped working just today.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Not sure I understand the question. I keep my iTunes library on my phone, yes, although that’s not a huge part of the reason I buy iPhones.

I ask simply because I know someone who will only ever get iPhones, specifically because they have 10 or more years of digital music purchases through iTunes, despite knowing it would take 30 minutes to download them to a PC and stick them on any other type of device
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah right, yeah. The way that Apple manages purchases across devices is nicely done, the fact that it is so nicely done is part of the reason I’m in the ecosystem, but as I say, it’s not a huge part on its own.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve gone all in on the Apple ecosystem and have no regrets.  I don’t buy music anymore, but what I do have is from iTunes.  The Apple TV thingy I bought last year is one of the best bit of tech I’ve ever bought.  Slowly but surely taking advantage of deals to build up a decent collection of films while slowly getting rid of my DVDs and Blu-rays.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Welcome Raiziel :-)

I got rid of discs years ago and, unless you are collecting, it's just better and generally cheaper. A lot of great movie deals on the store, plus the free upgrades (Lord of The Rings 4K box set £75 on disc - Apple - Free). Yes, the quality is less than disc but I'm not comparing side-by-side.

I do want the new Apple TV remote but it's not a big enough upgrade to be worth £60
  • I’ve only ever had an all Apple house, even when I was little. My dad wouldn’t buy anything else.

I use android/windows 10 for work and they’re fine, but for me I understand Apple stuff so much better so it’s just easier for me.

Just changed jobs and my old work let me keep my iPhone 11, but the battery’s a bit hammered and it’s been thrown around a bit, so am trading in towards the 13 pro (blue!) with Apple. Should be coming tomorrow!

I went pro because I’m a sucker and the 120hz screen looked like a neat feature. I know all other phones have already done it but again, I just personally prefer iPhone.

Edit: I also use iTunes on my MacBook (from all those cds and download cards) and Apple Music, but so does my brother and he has a Google phone…
  • Actually thinking about it now I have boxes of old apple stuff I should probably sell/recycle by now. My dad got rid of the older stuff I think, but I still have a 2006 Mac mini, 2008 iMac, 2012 11” Air and a 2014 13” Air. Not to mention a pile of iPods. I chopped in my old iPhones and iPads a few years back luckily when they still had worth.

Currently using a 2015 15” MacBook Pro. It’s worth noting I’ve worked in IT for a while and handle a lot of the ecycling, so I may or may not have purchased most of these machines…
  • iPods will definitely be coming into some nostalgia wank value soon. I would hang onto them a bit longer especially as they are small.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!