Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Apple want 19 quid for a piece of cloth. The Apple tax is real. I also love how dollars = pounds. Why do tech companies not know about exchange rates?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • That’s brilliant.
    Product Information

Overview
    Made with soft, non-abrasive material, the Polishing Cloth cleans any Apple display, including nano-texture glass, safely and effectively.

What’s in the Box
    Polishing Cloth
  • Overview - it’s a fucking cloth.
    What do I get? - A fucking cloth.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Boo. I love the touch bar.

It could have been so much better but Apple hobbled it by not making it user customisable. I would have used it far more if they had.

• b0r1s wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Boo. I love the touch bar.

It could have been so much better but Apple hobbled it by not making it user customisable. I would have used it far more if they had.

Yeah the gf has a MacBook and I’ve been impressed with what it can be used for. Even as a quick way to adjust volume it’s neat but the integration with the apple software is solid
  • I love the touch bar, but I won't miss it... its not enhancing anything I do on a day to day basis, and lack of customisation has largely kept it a gimmick. Shame really.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    That’s brilliant.
    Product Information Overview Made with soft, non-abrasive material, the Polishing Cloth cleans any Apple display, including nano-texture glass, safely and effectively. What’s in the Box Polishing Cloth

I want to try it out on a non-Apple display and watch the universe implode, or something.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I’ve read a suggestion the notch doesn’t even have Face ID? Surely not?!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You really don’t like that notch eh? I’m guessing it’s setting up the form factor when they release Face ID next year. Won’t have to machine the parts twice then.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    You really don’t like that notch eh? I’m guessing it’s setting up the form factor when they release Face ID next year. Won’t have to machine the parts twice then.

That has to be the plan.

Yeah I really dislike it. It’s ugly and creates a format that helps no one. It’s idiosyncratic for no benefit other than messy lines and seemingly now “brand identity”.

I genuinely can’t believe there’s anyone in Apple who thinks it’s the best solution.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    In the balance of what this laptop has to offer vs the notch I’ll take the notch. I don’t full screen my apps, use dark mode and it’ll just be sitting in space that was used for the blank part of my status bar. Not that I am buying one… oh no… not me.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    That has to be the plan. Yeah I really dislike it. It’s ugly and creates a format that helps no one. It’s idiosyncratic for no benefit other than messy lines and seemingly now “brand identity”. I genuinely can’t believe there’s anyone in Apple who thinks it’s the best solution.

OK I have no skin in the game here but I don't get this. Check the screen pixel resolution. You'll note that the space either side of the notch is "extra" screen real estate. That is to say: it's an extra place to store stuff like the menu / status bar, which generally has a big space in the middle anyway, and gives you more vertical space to fit actual stuff into.

You can see this in action with the "full screen" mode, which fits the top of the display in a straight horizontal line below the notch.

The problem was bezels too thick, but thinning them out too much meant not enough space for "advanced camera" bollocks. The solution (hacky as it is) is notch and slightly more screen real estate. That's a positive trade off for my money. Design schmesign
  • I have no care about it on the Mac but it means they’re less inclined to get rid of it on iPhone which makes it less likely that they’ll come up with a solution on the phone that bins it.
  • I have just been electro-shocked by my Apple Watch. Not cutting through a mains cable bad or owt but a definite pop and ow wtf?!?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sue the fuckers
  • It’s a new defibrillation feature. Still in Beta.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Defib upgrade successfully installed.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • My daughter wants an ipad for chrimbo (just the base one). it should be more than enough spec for what she wants (and better than anything else in the house so i can borrow it too!), but as well as gaming and media, she wants to be able to draw on it.
    i've seen some reviews for the logitech crayon as a good and slightly cheaper alternative to the apple pencil (1st gen)...has anyone here used it and could offer an opinion on if it would be suitable? she'll want to draw and scribble, but she's just 10 and not a budding professional artist so i'm not sure pressure sensitivity etc is that big a deal for her
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Mine is from 2010 or something! Doubt I’ll get much for it. :)

I still have my 2010 MacBook Pro. My 2018 MacBook Pro is flimsy shite in comparison. The old one was a tank.

Looked up the new ones. So, they are still pushing that 16GB RAM shit for a £2000+ laptop. Jokers.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    16GB of unified memory running at 200GB/s.

Apart dick waving numbers don't really matter, it's about performance. Apple proved it on phones and tablets despite having less memory than the equivalent Android flagships. 

I've got an 8gb M1 Mac mini that runs far far faster than my 16gb ram MacBook Pro 2017 did.
  • I just need someone to tell me 16GB RAM is gonna give me enough headroom, given that spinning up several VMs/containers in parallel is part of my day job.

Of course, in the past when these laptops were upgradable, it wasn't so much of a consideration.
  • I must admit... from the reviews I've seen so far, I'm very very tempted to get the Pro Max.

Partly because it will save me a ton of editing/rendering time and partly because my current 2018 Macbook needs a keyboard & battery service (which would be free) and I would need a machine to replace it as I have so much work on atm... and I'd sell the old one once its fixed (definitely not trading it in... despite Apples tech supports best efforts).

The only thing slightly putting me off is the perceived bulkyness / weight of the new one. Some reviews have said a specced up Pro Max 14 inch performs just as well as the 16inch variant but with the slightest of differences in performance while properly retaining its portability. 

I think i need to see them both in the flesh before making a decision.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Reviews I've watched have said the bulkiness is perceived. I honestly wish they'd go this way with the phones too. Better battery is far more important than half a cm of thickness.

*waits for girth joke*
  • An alternative view of the Pro Max by my fave tech reviewer:

https://youtu.be/pwa58qfsd9M

x
  • Oh hang on you are talking about computers...
  • Or are you? It's late, sorry.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    I just need someone to tell me 16GB RAM is gonna give me enough headroom, given that spinning up several VMs/containers in parallel is part of my day job.

Of course, in the past when these laptops were upgradable, it wasn't so much of a consideration.

Here’s a comparison vid. Doesn’t cover off your specific use case but it does stress the systems.
    Spoiler:

• It appears you can put your airpods pros in the washing machine inside your shorts pocket one time only.

I did it twice in 2 weeks.

Fair play they survived the first time. 2 nd time fucked them up. Dead
    PSN - minkymu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!