isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    You can change the default browser if you jailbreak btw. Saw a Lifehacker article on it recently. 

I've been using Atomic since it was released so will give Chrome a shot too. It's not all that on Android iirc (flakey flash compared to stock I found). *off to the Appstore*
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I can't be arsed with jailbreaking any more, it's too much hassle keeping up with it and annoying waiting for it if an update has a feature I want.

Andy: it's really the interface that got me, but the way you can open individual cookie-less tabs or tell it to load the desktop version of a site on one tab is nice. The fact you're not limited to just 8 tabs is something I'll rarely use but would be glad of occasionally. Seems a tad nippier, too.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Ay AJ, I can't be bothered with JBing anymore either I just saw it in this browser face-off article here.

Had a crack at Crome too now and although you can't fullscreen it like Atomic (makes a bit of a difference on  the screen size of an iphone, ipad probably less so?) it does seem to be a fast enough, decent alternative to the stock. It syncs well with a google account if you use Chrome desktop too.
    I've got so used to using Atomic now that all these options (tab arrangement, gestures, fullscreen, desktop version etc) make being clunked back to mobile Safari a right pain. I even use Safari as my main browser on the macbook so the syncing thing should be a boon but it is now so backward regards functions that it doesn't make a difference to me.
  • Have finally got new hard-drive installed, and am suddenly very pleased with my Time Capsule.  I've occasionally used it in the past to undo cock-ups, but if I'm honest was starting to wonder why I'd bothered with the thing.  (I'm the sort of person who imagines that hard drives don't really fall over, and bought the Time Capsule in a brief moment of clarity knowing I'd never do a back up unless something was doing it for me.)

Put new hard-drive in.  Turned on computer, held down Command-R, clicked restart from Time Capsule, and 5 hours late everything's back exactly as it was.  Excellent.  (I'm doubly surprised as I've had it for a long time, and am well aware of their reputation for falling over.)
  • Speaking of Time Machine, anyone know if it works in office environments or just bogs the network down?  I've got to spec a backup system for the laptops that half the company uses.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    Speaking of Time Machine, anyone know if it works in office environments or just bogs the network down?  I've got to spec a backup system for the laptops that half the company uses.

I wouldn't trust Time Machine to do enterprise level back ups. Hell, I wouldn't trust it to do home back ups. When I had a Time Capsule, the one time I need to restore from it was the one time it threw a hissy fit and wouldn't let me. Thank feck I'm a paranoid bastard and had another back up on a cloned HDD.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Oh, it'd be be to a proper bit of hardware; using a Time Capsule hadn't even crossed my mind. Hell, it wouldn't have enough space anyway.

It's how the software behaves in that environment that I'm interested in - whether it's going to fail to get things backed up to the NAS because it's not expecting to deal with that many users, or if it's so inefficient that all the LAN bandwidth will get eaten up by it.

Should Have said before: It'd need to do around 30 machines max.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mod, but the amount of data people use (there's always a lot of video kicking about) and the speed of our Internet connection (a bug bear of mine, but not something I've been able to make much progress in getting improved) precludes an online solution.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It may have been a hardware issue, or a software. I know the data was on the Capsule, but Machine couldn't get it.

YMMV, etc., but I wouldn't trust it for something important. Perhaps you can use it as a secondary back up?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Slightly out of date but a seemingly reasonable assessment of TM's enterprise capabilities:

Tech Republic

One limitation has to be that TM needs an Mac OS Extended- or XSan-formatted drive to work - are all your terminals macs?

Here's something that could be be suitable, from FalconStor. I think there are a number of "souped-up" TM-like solutions (i.e.: continuous data protection with "instant" recovery) out there though.

My personal, consumer level experience is that it is a very very good back-up solution for those who aren't smart enough to back-up, if you catch my drift. We've got two mac laptops and a mac mini, and they all back up seamlessly and effortlessly over wifi or ethernet (in the case of the MacBooks, only when attached to power) with no apparent effect on LAN bandwidth (not including the first, mega-back-up that occurs when you kick things off).

The TM "view" is also really very nice, allowing you to easily track and restore from the history of any document and retrieve accidentally deleted docs etc.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    What have you got at the moment AJ, some form of server infrastructure or literally guys at desks with laptops?
  • There's no server infrastructure at all internally, all the core business systems are "in the cloud". It's really just document backup that's important, but if it can do system recovery too, that'd be nice. There's some pretty heavy documents, though. What I'm thinking is a NAS box with reasonable embedded server for the backup hardware.

Thanks for the TechRepublic link, Funkstain, I'll give that a read. The company you linked looks to be focused on backup of server systems, but thanks anyway.

I'm confident that TM should be a suitable solution, it's really just whether it's going to clog up the LAN that concerns me.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh good, my Windows 7 partition has shat itself. I'm in for a fun evening.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Guys are those new Sony smartphones (Xperia) any cop, they look nice.

Objective hat on, Yes, I've not upgraded as the jump from Xperia Arc S wasn't big enough to make it worth it and the storage is not expandable. The build quality is great, the camera wonderful, the phone itself a thing of beauty. Light, lithe and bright, can't rave more. Niggles, notification light is in a stupid place

There were initial whinges about slow updates when the SE Xperia line started, all gone now, Sony worked close with Google whether eventually updated to 2.3, which means many ICS features were already in Xperia 2.3. The Sony's are not as open as Samsung's and the S3 looks immense. Of course I'm not talking about the exact same phone as you but it is the same software. I'll be waiting till Christmas to see what the next iteration is like, but if you're in the market now I can't see a reason not to, unless you want the extra power of the S3

In other news I also really like my Maharishi jacket, though I could probably have got Army surplus for a tenth of the price
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Juz ordered myself a new Macbook pro (non retina)

Configuration
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    Accessory Kit
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    :D :D :D :D
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Interesting side effect of the non-fixable Macs, supposedly.

Apple turns back on environment, exits EPEAT register
  • What's Accessory Kit, liad?
  • No idea. I guess the manual, charger etc, Its not an additional option or anything.

Does anyone know a cheap, reliable place to pick up AppleCare, Apple's site is quite expensive.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Starbucks loyalty card, espadrilles, those thick rimmed glasses, tumblr account, etc.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I seem to remember being able to negotiate on Applecare if you leave it till they start sending you emails (1 year after purchase) to say you're losing the ability to sign up for the extra two years. 

It's a touch risky as you have slightly less telephone  support (iirc?? could well be wrong there) doing this in the first year but I seem to remember doing the "ummm.. arrrr... call me back, I'll think about it??" and getting some reductions. 
    As an aside, I have made a heavy use of it since and this Macbook Pro has been back to them at least 3 times till they managed to fix it. I've logged hours of my life with the very friendly (generally Irish?) tier 2 support bods on the phone too doing various numbers of virgin installs test and the rest. I would now consider Applecare indispensable and a part of the cost of buying as they do make sure it all happens as painlessly as possible if they ship it in. 
    Always push for tier 2 guys though as the first person to answer the phone will be much of a "turn it off and on again" type. 

I had to use Lenovo techs recently too as my sister's Thinkpad has gone mental. It's currently with them somewhere in Europe being investigated as I type but I was slightly miffed to have to pay to send it to Colchester when it was under warranty. Applecare pick it up from the front door at zero cost but I guess you pay for that service.

Edit: Kind of jealous of that beast you've specced too. Very noice! This old mid 2010 warhorse is getting a little rough round the edges already even after being tenderly Applecared.
  • Totally agree about the Applecare, my current Macbook pro 2008 went in a few times and would have cost twice as much than the original price of the thing without AppleCare.
    When I took it in for a logic board change and they were expecting it for damage (just to cover their arse while its in I guess) I pointed out a thunder fly that had got behind the glass on the screen so they replaced the screen for me to. :D

I have never used the phone support so not too fussed about missing out on it, may keep my eyes peeled to hotukdeals, see if anything comes up.
  • I don't understand Apple care. 
    You pay an upfront fee to cover a limited time. 

In return you get the ability to post in a computer when it goes wrong, telephone support and a reduction on repair. Am I missing anything?
  • You need to activate AC within first 30 days of purchase to get continued telephone support I believe. 

AC for my mid-2009 MBP ran out two weeks ago! Had a new track pad fitted not long ago so it probably (just about) paid for itself. I got it cheaper, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

I'd always get it for a laptop, don't think I'd bother with a desktop though.

@monkey

It's usually a free repair - I think there are one or two caveats though.
  • monkey wrote:
    I don't understand Apple care.  You pay an upfront fee to cover a limited time.  In return you get the ability to post in a computer when it goes wrong, telephone support and a reduction on repair. Am I missing anything?

AppleCare is an extended warranty adding 2 years onto the initial first year. It also provides a higher level of free technical support.

I beleive repairs are free unless you have thrown it in the bath or something equally retarded.

Found AppleCare for £155 on Amazon as opposed to Apple's price of £279. Thats not a small difference, Apple really are terrible at over charging for the extras.
  • It doesn't cover accidental damage, as I found out when I dropped an iron on my girlfriend's MacBook.
  • Think that might come under "somewthing as equally retarded" ;)
  • Doesn't sound great to be honest. Guessing wildly but I reckon most hardware problems either happen quite quickly or when a computer gets on a bit ie not within years 1-3.

I'm not going to slag it off too much though as sod's law dictates my laptop will fuck up and I'll wish I had it.
  • Well it paid off for me, the logic board and screen came to £800!!! I prob wouldnt be too fussed if it was a desktop but laptops take a beating and while they wont cover obvious accidents lesser wear and tear is covered depending on how lucky you get.

Im also getting my macbook on finance so I need to ensure its not fucked before ive finished paying for it, will also be getting insurance to cover everything else
  • Thats right extended warranties and finance deals, get me and my stereotypical money wasting ways

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!