Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's all the 30-year-old men with fat arses and chicken calves.
  • That's me!
    Although my calves are decent from lugging around the belly.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    With the white daps.

Haha. I'm an 86er so very early millennial from Y I think.

Nah, that's Y. Millennials were born shortly before 2000 and later. 1995, let's say. Lots of people call Mils and Ys the same group, but that leaves a fifteen-year gap, so I'm happy to take the Y. I'm too old to be a Millennial, but too young to be an Xer. We're all thinking of dancing with ourselves, right?
  • Age wise that might be the case but reality I feel in between the two.
    Culturally old enough to be Thundercats over Facebook but I graduated Uni in 2008 literally weeks before the world went to shit financially.
  • Sorry, didn't mean to be flippant and my post can come across like that.

It genuinely pisses me off that anyone 35 and under is in this state. Even people in the golden bracket have been fucked over, it's not all roses.

No worries, completely understood you were as disgusted as the rest of us, we 86ers gotta stick together before the Xers take all the good caves when the time comes.

Edit: I also wear quite tight black trousers, but I think it’s because im getting older and I’m too poor to afford a flash car.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Xers have the better calves.
  • JonB wrote:
    I mean it’s like someone within the current government has some kind of undercover master plan to slowly dismantle all but the most basic of services. Of course that really isn’t the end Game of it all is it.
    Sadly, it absolutely is.

Nothing undercover about it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So is 1980 X or Y? We need to start with important questions like this one.
  • Escape wrote:
    Nah, that's Y. Millennials were born shortly before 2000 and later. 1995, let's say. Lots of people call Mils and Ys the same group, but that leaves a fifteen-year gap, so I'm happy to take the Y. I'm too old to be a Millennial, but too young to be an Xer. We're all thinking of dancing with ourselves, right?

That's incorrect. The cohort known as millennials (alternatively generation Y) are 1980-2005 as agreed upon by most researches, Some will bring it forward a few years, others will push it back to the mid 70s. Most agree that defining between Xers and Millennials on that internecine period of 75-85 can be difficult, but at the least early 80s is considered the beginning of the cohort. Suggesting there's a difference between Millenials and Gen Y is going against the majority of established demographics. I agree that there's a potential for a big difference between someone born in 95 and 80, and that's part of how cohorts are arbitrarily divided. People of my age group (30-35) likely to share many traits with millennials.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    So is 1980 X or Y? We need to start with important questions like this one.

Most millenials are XX
  • Tempy wrote:
    Escape wrote:

That's incorrect. The cohort known as millennials (alternatively generation Y) are 1980-2005 as agreed upon by most researches, Some will bring it forward a few years, others will push it back to the mid 70s. Most agree that defining between Xers and Millennials on that internecine period of 75-85 can be difficult, but at the least early 80s is considered the beginning of the cohort. Suggesting there's a difference between Millenials and Gen Y is going against the majority of established demographics. I agree that there's a potential for a big difference between someone born in 95 and 80, and that's part of how cohorts are arbitrarily divided. People of my age group (30-35) likely to share many traits with millennials.
    They shift this stuff around a bit which doesn’t help. Mainstream media use it differently from academics and they all use it differently over time. When I was in my teens, all young people were gen Xers. And we were all lazy cynical twats apparently (fair in my case). Millennial hasn’t come into popular consciousness until probably post 2008 by my vague reckoning. Now they’re all lazy twats with iPhones. It’s going to differ depending on your wealth, how quickly your country adopted certain trends and stuff. And they’ll necessarily redefine it as traits and trends start to emerge and become detectable. It’s hard to be precise is the main point I’m trying to get over in this ramble.
  • It's not well defined. But let's just agree that millenials are the worst and move on.
  • Wearing a Nirvana t-shirt when Cobain was alive - Generation X.
    Wearing a Nirvana t-shirt when he was dead - Millennial.
  • I never wore a nirvana t shirt when Cobain was alive, and when he was dead I never wore a t-shirt of any kind.
  • I ageee it's hard to be precise, but I am happy enough to go with the accepted demographic as per researchers than the lazy and largely incorrect mainstream adoption. Given that I know people at 35 and people at 20 in the same boat, and younger people than that facing the same difficulties, I think 1980/85-2006 makes a good catchment for the cohort. If anything id argue that the often comical disparity in many areas between early and late Millenials, and the similar changes we still face, is one of the traits that makes the generation what it is.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    I never wore a nirvana t shirt when Cobain was alive, and when he was dead I never wore a t-shirt of any kind.
    More of a Pearl Jam man eh?
  • Splitting hairs until any of 'em are in positions of major political/economic decision making. Which could be rather a long time.
  • I think of myself as an X/millennial border guard. I haven't made the most of the opportunities for making money just for getting into debt asap like most Xers have, but I still had income opportunities the millenials would only dream of.

We Xers like to make fun of millenials. I go out with one and meet her friends. What I would say is, they are on the whole much more resourceful than my generation ever was. They will probably not try to emulate us or our parents. Probably they will not buy their won place. Maybe they will go for long term rents and money invested somewhere... Or they will buy in groups. They will certainly organise politically much more than we did. They get that we are fucked, and back corbyn for example in much greater ratios, given that most of those I meet are privately schooled or heirs to million pound + homes their support is astonishing, even if young people lean left.

Frankly, i think they'll save our bacon if we let them. They will just wear silly clothes and start sentences with "like" while doing it. Which probably means we'll vote against them and hate them, and bring the whole country down. Hurrah for us.

• I'm sure "The Internet generation" used to be used for late Millenials.
    People who grew up with internet in their homes as standard, so people born early to mid 90s.

I think that better defines that group as the internet has heavily sculpted their world.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I agree that there's a potential for a big difference between someone born in 95 and 80

Potential? There’s a massive difference. The experiences and world views are so far apart, in my experience, that it’s like they’re from a different planet.

It’s part of the reason why this whole generational classification ‘thing’ is bullshit and a waste of time.
  • I'm not going to argue that it's not flawed, because it is, I am just relaying what a millennial is considered by people studying generational cohorts as opposed to what the layman reads in the papers.

I would largely agree with it, but I'd go with a hazy 85-05 myself because I think people between 35 and 30 are just as likely to face the same issues as those who are currently 18. If anything the circumstances this generation is inheriting is more of a defining characteristic than anything else. I have the benefit too of having spent 4 years with the people born around 93-95, and I don't think there is as vast between me and my peers and them as people would expect.
  • It's also not like these generational analyses are never criticised either and i agree with some of the criticisms, but I do find them useful myself.
  • Maybe lumping together an entire mass of people born in different times, places and circumstances, with huge variations in upbringing, and assigning them all specific characteristics is also a bit absurd.
  • It depends on why you're doing it.

If you're doing it to say they're all the same, yes, it's absurd. If you're doing it to identify societal norms and trends that apply to generations as a consequence of the time they are born, and to great understand those ideas, I'd say it's not absurd.
  • If it provides an answer as to why one of my probationers chose to attend the station to meet his colleagues for the first time wearing ill-fitting trousers and no socks, then I suppose...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Parachute pants are tactical!
  • I believe these would have been classed as ‘skinny fit dropped crotch’. Fucking ridiculous.
  • Ah leave em to it, we all wore stupid things when young.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!