Dead Cells
  • Cool. I thought shield-less builds were ineffective at higher difficulties.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • I'm not into any of the meta with this, but have completed multiple runs and seen bosses from dlc almost exclusively with points pumped into purple.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Hand of the King is... impossible? I'm going in at about 4000 health, weapons seems alright. They do some damage. But I'm getting devastated almost immediately. Is it just conventional boss tactics? Learn the patterns, wait for him to indicate what move he's doing, dodge, attack, repeat? Or am I completely unprepared in some way? I can dodge through his giant sword attacks I think. But executing that is another matter.
  • Also, what are boss cells and why do I need them? I'm using the stomper power a lot from the little guy under the floor before you start. But it stops me getting them.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Hand of the King is... impossible? I'm going in at about 4000 health, weapons seems alright. They do some damage. But I'm getting devastated almost immediately. Is it just conventional boss tactics? Learn the patterns, wait for him to indicate what move he's doing, dodge, attack, repeat? Or am I completely unprepared in some way? I can dodge through his giant sword attacks I think. But executing that is another matter.

He does have certain patterns, yes, but also you have to choose to heal at the right times - I normally use heals when he spawns the ads.

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Also, what are boss cells and why do I need them? I'm using the stomper power a lot from the little guy under the floor before you start. But it stops me getting them.

Basically you get them when you complete a run. It raises the difficulty level. Better rewards/upgrades too, IIRC.

• 1st phase is fine now. I’ll get there.
  • Did him. What a bastard. What a game.
  • Cheated with continues obviously.
  • I’m just going to get this anyway and force myself to like it. Does the DLC enhance the overall package? Or is it something best sampled once the rest of the game became boring ?
  • It's really well integrated, and is amazing. I have no idea how you'd navigate and unlock early game with it all going on though. I presume they have it set up so you get channelled to original levels a bit.

Actually, I know they do, now I think about it, you at least have to unlock the first few abilities to get to the dlc early levels.
  • Been hammering this a bit.

Mixed bag of runs trying new stuff, but made it to bosses a couple of times. Died dumb on 1 cell hand of the king.

Got smashed with one of the dlc bosses.

Died earlier many times on some silly stuff. Including ground pounding into spikes at the end of a level when I'd survived half of it with a sliver of health. Lol.
  • monkey wrote:
    Cheated with continues obviously.

Wait, this has continues now? Amazing.
  • Gamechanger for roguelike accessibility if so.
  • Finally beat HotK on 1 cell! The Repeater Crossbow and the Tesla Coil did the trick.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Gamechanger for roguelike accessibility if so.

Assist mode is epic. I may be willing to pour 5000 hours into Isaac but this makes Cells so much more enjoyable.
  • 100%.

Just turned it on, having not even realised its there.

I'm still giving up on some runs, but for boss fights, it's absolutely great. Beat the gardening sub boss last night for the first time because I got a chance to see what the patterns were. Made it to the hand too, but was waaaaaay off damage wise, so after a few attempts quit anyway.

Still, found 3 new blueprints. Well worth it and much less harsh.
  • Absolutely. I still haven’t got anywhere near the giant or anything, but I made so much progress I found myself turning the enemy damage back up.
  • Was going to get the dlc bundle for this but the Castlevania one is due soon-ish so I'll hang fire for a bundle including that, hopefully.

And yes, thank you Assist Mode!!
  • I might go back at some point then. No idea which dlc is included in the version I played. Iirc some of it was free?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Not sure assist mode is something I’d use, with it being a roguelike but great that they put it in there.
  • I just suck at it, it’s opened up the game a lot for me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Decided to splash some vouchers on the dlc set, cos I wanted to give this another bash. Started a new save, got to one area I hadn't before but not sure if it's dlc or not cuts I'm not very good at the have lol. A few references to other indie games but maybe that's just an update. Meet some dude taking about a ship. Beat one boss so have vine + teleport + custom + daily challenge but still feel I'm very much scratching the surface. Lost about 8000 coins cos I've only got wallet II which is annoying. Need to somehow harden myself up and/or get good.
  • I've sunk a good few hours into this and I can't find whatever rune gives you wall jump or whatever you need to get up those vertical sections.
  • Ooh, I never found that too. Would appreciate.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It’s in the
    Spoiler:
    It’s quite a tricky zone because of the gameplay mechanic but take your time and you’ll be fine.
  • Still can't get over the addition of continues in a roguelike. It's incredible work. I've always championed the idea of a fixed seed called 'arcade mode' or whatever as an optional extra in these games, as not everyone digs the ever changing grind, but adding continues is so obvious I didn't even consider it.
  • Continues dump you back to the start of the level, same layout, same enemies, same gear in the chests etc. That can still be a bit of a kick in the teeth compared to many games but nothing compared to what it was before.
    It's very easy to completely ruin the game now. Infinite continues, map fully unlocked, and you can limit the items that will show up to (I think) as few as 20. But that's everything - weapons, traps, grenades, mutations. I don't do Survival but you can increase the parry window. Auto-attack enemies. There's even more stuff you can do like specifying the starting weapons but that starts to incur penalties (can't remember what - some things block achievements, some lock you out from getting boss cells). 

Lapses in concentration and making silly mistakes are inevitable when I play any game. It doesn't matter how gud I've gitten at it. And vanilla Dead Cells is just too brutal.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm enjoying it vanilla atm. Got to the lighthouse and a bit peeved by the boss there tbh
    Spoiler:
    gonna aim for the Slumbering Sanctuary next and maybe an easier route to the end level (?), we'll see. Ancient Sewers fucked me on my most recent run though, had gone to directly there so hadn't really leveled up at all...

Live there basic mechanics of the game though. I think my fave rogue like, this or Isaac anyway.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Live there basic mechanics of the game though. I think my fave rogue like, this or Isaac anyway.

Spoken with all the eloquence I'd expect from someone who doesn't choose StS.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!