Ethics and Science Quarantine Zone
  • I think through necessity and capitalism the majority of people will end up eating some form of lab grown meat or 'artificial' meat once it can mass produced at lower cost.
    That will become normalised and the idea of eating meat of a once living being will become disgusting to people.
    I'm talking fairly long term here mind. Perhaps tail end of our lifetimes.

Although there would likely still be fringe groups eating it. The 1%ers, people who reject anything non real, fans of Joe Rogan's brain in a jar podcast.

I dont think the world's population is going to shift off meat for moral reasons rather the morals will follow the shift.
  • That's a great point, if technological progress continues it seems pretty likely that we'll all end up eating artificial meat that will end up being just as good as the real thing. Perhaps we'll all have Star Trek-esque food printers in our homes just like we have microwaves now. Growing protein in a lab or using protein from mushrooms or insects seems likely to be far more scalable than relying on vast numbers of fields of gas-expelling beasts. If the human population continues to rise then such technology could become a necessity.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_consciousness
    Further arguments revolve around the ability of animals to feel pain or suffering. Suffering implies consciousness. If animals can be shown to suffer in a way similar or identical to humans, many of the arguments against human suffering could then, presumably, be extended to animals. Others have argued that pain can be demonstrated by adverse reactions to negative stimuli that are non-purposeful or even maladaptive.[86] One such reaction is transmarginal inhibition, a phenomenon observed in humans and some animals akin to mental breakdown.

Carl Sagan, the American cosmologist, points to reasons why humans have had a tendency to deny animals can suffer:

Humans – who enslave, castrate, experiment on, and fillet other animals – have had an understandable penchant for pretending animals do not feel pain. A sharp distinction between humans and 'animals' is essential if we are to bend them to our will, make them work for us, wear them, eat them – without any disquieting tinges of guilt or regret. It is unseemly of us, who often behave so unfeelingly toward other animals, to contend that only humans can suffer. The behavior of other animals renders such pretensions specious. They are just too much like us.[87]

John Webster, a professor of animal husbandry at Bristol, argues:

People have assumed that intelligence is linked to the ability to suffer and that because animals have smaller brains they suffer less than humans. That is a pathetic piece of logic, sentient animals have the capacity to experience pleasure and are motivated to seek it, you only have to watch how cows and lambs both seek and enjoy pleasure when they lie with their heads raised to the sun on a perfect English summer's day. Just like humans.[88]

However, there is no agreement where the line should be drawn between organisms that can feel pain and those that cannot. Justin Leiber, a philosophy professor at Oxford University writes that:

Montaigne is ecumenical in this respect, claiming consciousness for spiders and ants, and even writing of our duties to trees and plants. Singer and Clarke agree in denying consciousness to sponges. Singer locates the distinction somewhere between the shrimp and the oyster. He, with rather considerable convenience for one who is thundering hard accusations at others, slides by the case of insects and spiders and bacteria, they pace Montaigne, apparently and rather conveniently do not feel pain. The intrepid Midgley, on the other hand, seems willing to speculate about the subjective experience of tapeworms ...Nagel ... appears to draw the line at flounders and wasps, though more recently he speaks of the inner life of cockroaches.[89]

There are also some who reject the argument entirely, arguing that although suffering animals feel anguish, a suffering plant also struggles to stay alive (albeit in a less visible way). In fact, no living organism 'wants' to die for another organism's sustenance. In an article written for The New York Times, Carol Kaesuk Yoon argues that:

When a plant is wounded, its body immediately kicks into protection mode. It releases a bouquet of volatile chemicals, which in some cases have been shown to induce neighboring plants to pre-emptively step up their own chemical defenses and in other cases to lure in predators of the beasts that may be causing the damage to the plants. Inside the plant, repair systems are engaged and defenses are mounted, the molecular details of which scientists are still working out, but which involve signaling molecules coursing through the body to rally the cellular troops, even the enlisting of the genome itself, which begins churning out defense-related proteins ... If you think about it, though, why would we expect any organism to lie down and die for our dinner? Organisms have evolved to do everything in their power to avoid being extinguished. How long would any lineage be likely to last if its members effectively didn't care if you killed them?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I take a strange path on eating habits

We have domesticated various animals, whether the reason for having done so is right or wrong it has happened. Therefore without making them extinct we need to continue to farm them, and that should come with caveats of better husbandry. We can't get all pissy about Siberian Tigers being endangered and then at the same time decide to destroy ruminant stock

I'm personally not a fan of fungus and meat alternatives, because to me that feels like kicking the can down the road, it also isn't very democratic. Meat production, even alternative meats, need to available to anyone, so as not to create cartels. Plus the fact of eating pretend meat doesn't add the true perceived value to real meat, it diminishes it. We have no reason to eat meat three meals a day, but it's the behaviour that needs to change, not just the production

Respecting our protein sources, paying more for them, and treating them as a luxury should encourage us down a path of better husbandry and practices. Whether it will or not is a way bigger question though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I just don’t think we can justify the massive amounts of resources it takes to feed livestock when those resources could go towards feeding people who don’t have enough food instead.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Unfortunately we have evolved to a point where simply grazing isn't enough for us to live. Hence the redundant appendix. I get what you're saying though and it is a zero sum game, we don't eat (many) carnivores for that very reason, the amount of fuel in biomass required to do so make no economic sense

Given the seeds issue with big farming companies producing sterile crops so the end user cannot replant, and just repurchase, I'll not trust the corporate entities that control our groceries any further than I could throw them, and pretend meat is not replicable on a small scale so small farmers lose that opportunity
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I should be fair, I recently found out that Johnny Depp might have been innocent in relation to claims of spousal abuse. I jumped to condem him when that story first came out and didn't even think to check or wait and see.
    I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the claims were spurious at best and a massive deflection from the actual shit going down at worst. But that said we only know our own frames of reference, so just because I was exposed to voices calling her a prick from before the accusations and divorce, I just stuck with them. Which is dangerous though, because you can be a dickhead and still be wronged
    To my shame, I just believed it all and I think because I'm not the biggest fan of Depp it made it easier to believe. I think there is also an inherrant want to believe a victim for most people. I know you've had experience where this could have led to some hassle but I guess I'd find it easier to believe that a man is guilty of hitting his wife than his wife is making stuff up. And this probably correct in 99 percent of instances but there are always the exceptions.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yeah I'm with Stanhope. I don't believe Depp's ex at all.

Called it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Johnny is on the piss in Newcastle tonight. Knew he was alreet
  • Yeah I'm with Stanhope. I don't believe Depp's ex at all.

Called it.

Really? the result doesn't actual absolve Depp does it and he did lose the wife beater claim against the sun (or some other newspaper).

SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They both sound as bad as each other to be fair. A pair of toxic people in a toxic relationship.
  • I'll agree with that. But I think the jury roundly rejected the "he's the abuser, I'm a survivor" narrative. I suspect Depp would have let sleeping dogs lie had she not seemingly, vindictively pursued a PR agenda that portrayed her as his victim.

I'd say I feel very sorry for Heard now..more than when I posted that, because clearly she has some serious mental health issues. Was probably abused and that comes out as abuse itself. It's pretty sad.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!