Gdpr nuke yrlf
  • Or I might watch the telly.
  • As I understand it, it's only the third offence you get fined for.

The absolute worst thing about GDPR is that I'm now too knackered and can't be bothered to set my PSVR up.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    We haven't had any training on it in work yet we have all the options to log it. Its gonna be complete fucking havoc.
  • Emailing is mainly just awful and we need to start paying people extra if they use email outside of work hours. I feel sorry for lecturers.

Big data has the potential to be amazing but it'll probably just be horrifying. The Cambridge Analytica thing was mainly hilarious. Convincing morons to vote Leave isn't witchcraft techno-magic.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The CA controversy was about election overspending, not swaying the vote. At least in relation to the Leave campaign.
  • I’ve got all my Subject Access Requests lined up for all the bookies that have banned me.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • They’re a very small company so either compliant or blissfully unaware
    I have a feeling that GDPR is much stricter on medium-large businesses than small ones, but I could be wrong.
    It treats everyone the same, doesn't it? And therein lies the problem - a small Primary school is not in the same league as fucking Google!

Yep.  That’s pretty much our problem.  Small business, but holding huge reams of personal information, in a variety of formats, shared with a variety of organisations for (in our case) 11000 individuals, with no consideration given for how the Hell most of this legislation is even supposed to apply, no clear answers to a bunch of fundamental questions, and an expectation that we employ a DPO despite no funding, and few people with the requisite knowledge and experience.  It's incredibly annoying.
  • Computers are advancing too fast. Everyone is just scrabbling around holding onto coattails. It's a very strange situation.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    As the Data Privacy Manager at our gaff, my fucking life has been GDPR lately. Given presentations all day today, same again tomorrow :(
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I believe that the plan at my work, now that GDPR has been completed, is to head to the pub at lunch time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Computers are advancing too fast. Everyone is just scrabbling around holding onto coattails. It's a very strange situation.
    Yep.

https://aeon.co/essays/is-technology-making-the-world-indecipherable
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    I wish I were so lucky. That said, its not massively different from the DPA, just everyone finds large fines scary.
  • Yossarian wrote:

It really is. My masters degree thing is really quite cutting edge (in that you learn "new" trendy stuff without understanding anything about the layer underneath), so it's almost entirely focused on machine learning and big data. It's quite exciting and genuinely interesting but it's also a bit creepy. 

I don't know anybody on my course who isn't concerned about some area or another, and sometimes over lunch somebody will mention something about this or that and everyone will go a bit quiet. It's hard to explain, and it's not that anyone doesn't want to do the course, but it's sometimes sobering thinking how things might become. My personal terror is genetic programming, and by that I mean software coding itself. It literally throws random nonsense together until it starts to work, and unlike normal evolutionary cycles it can go through several billion generations of evolution in minutes. 

90% of all market trading is now done using such algorithms and nobody, and I mean nobody, understands what those algorithms are because they are changing and evolving in real-time. It's random mutation and survival of the fittest done in microseconds and it never stops. Nobody could possibly understand the code but it's the results that matter, and it gets those. It's becoming increasingly ubiquitous too. 

The analogy with evolution is not some technical wordplay, it's exactly the same. It has randomness, fitness, mutation and crossover. It starts from garbage and evolves into something wonderful and powerful. There's nothing in this Universe as wonderful and horrible as evolution once it produced animals. I wonder what this will produce?

I've posted this before but it's a great (and benign!) example of evolutionary computing. Leave it long enough and it usually produces something amazing.

http://boxcar2d.com/
  • Shame it hasn't evolved to not need Flash.
  • ... It literally throws random nonsense together until it starts to work, ...
    Basically normal programming then. But faster. And with no copy and paste from stackoverflow.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Street view on Google maps seems to have gone. Is that something to do with all this stuff?
  • I'm using Street View right now, so probably not.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can’t see how it would be. Maybe if all of Google Maps was gone, but I can’t see any personally identifiable info that could be gleaned from Street View that couldn’t be gained from Maps.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I can’t see how it would be. Maybe if all of Google Maps was gone, but I can’t see any personally identifiable info that could be gleaned from Street View that couldn’t be gained from Maps.

Faces, licence plates, signs with telephone numbers etc? I know they're supposed to be blurred out but they aren't always. Anyway, I have no idea, but street view isn't working for me at all at the moment.
  • Do you have the little bloke icon at all on Maps?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, but I get that little picture that it shows when there's no street view data available for a location.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I’ve got all my Subject Access Requests lined up for all the bookies that have banned me.

This by the way is an amazing idea.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The CA controversy was about election overspending, not swaying the vote. At least in relation to the Leave campaign.

Sorry to backtrack, but isn’t election overspending all about swaying votes?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes, but not not due to magical, big-data psy-ops.
  • No, the magical big data psy-ops are just standard modern marketing techniques. The controversy (I think) is all about loopholes in the law allowing propaganda to be distributed unchecked. As with GDPR issues, it’s really about the law not having kept up with technology.
  • The Guardian’s Chips With Everything podcast is about GDPR today. Worth a listen if you’re interested, although it might not tell some of you anything you don’t already know. They speak to a doctor about the impact on surgeries, tin.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m still amused by our article stating that GDPR emails are unnecessary and possibly illegal that we published about a week after our third round of emailing ~1.5m people asking if they still wanted to receive our emails.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!