Fallout 76
  • They deffo made all the cards in equal numbers and put them in clear packs so you could clearly see whether you'd already got them or not..

All companies are in it for the profits.. even Nintendo.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yes but there's a difference between making a profit and making as much money as possible by wringing every last drop out of your customers and fans at every opportunity.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'm not sure you can accuse Bethseda of that though.. I mean I'm sure they could've knocked out sequels a plenty if they wanted too.. There'll be about 10 years between oblivion games.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Are you for real? Horse Armour mate. These are the horse armour cunts.

They are putting out a full rrp online multiplayer 3rd person action shooter with additional f2p model cosmetic extras on top.

They have moved to give Fallout broader mass appeal with each iteration of the gane they produced. That is purely to chase maximum sales and to do it they dropped back on the storytelling and worked on making the graphics more shiny and the game play more like an fps.

They have pushed the IP beyond any logical constraint with 4 and Vault 76. As long as it says fallout and has power armour and super mutants and deathclaws then it's job done as far I can tell for Bethesda.

If they could do it with Elder Scrolls they would, I guess Elder Scrolls Online was an attempt to move into the mmo market, another very lucrative market at the time I might add. But they dont have the balls because TES is their golden egg and is too much of a financial risk to upset the fans over. With fallout, they had a small core of fans that they swapped for a much larger fanbase of people new to the franchise who liked them because it was an open world fps rpg. They can't do that to TES because there is no alternative player group they can target.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • @Roujin needs a hug.  Here's a picture of a giant irradiated sloth coming soon to give you one.
    Fallout76_E3_Megasloth_1528639312-1070x602.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • RIP YUNG ROUJ'S DREAMS FROM THE PAST.

Get a lot of sloths in Virginia?

• They're hardly EA though.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Wow. Such logic.

Vladimir Putin is hardly Hitler Rouj, what u getting so bent out of shape for?
  • I'm not mate.. in fact I thought you where.

All I'm saying is imo.. and I understand yours is different.. they're not the most blatantly profiteering games developer on the planet..
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    All companies are in it for the profits.. especially Nintendo.

FTFY (see Animal Crossing Pocket Camp)
  • Beta release date announced
    Hopefully I'll be 'working from home' on that day and will be able to get a few sly hours in.  But a beta playtest that's only available for only 4 to 8 hours a day?   What happens if they schedule this for only Yank time, and I have to play it at silly o'clock?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Lots of gameplay vids now doing the rounds due to some press junkets and I have to say I'm not impressed.  Todd promised "sixteen times the graphical fidelity!" but I'm just not seeing it.  The textures look damn ugly, the engine is a mess (as usual) and the framerate is chugging all over the place.  Apologists are saying that these are 4K vids squeezed down youtube so of course they are going to loose some quality and remember, this is still an alpha build but it looks rank - there's no disguising it.

I was prepared for the re-use of arts assets from the last game, but they have really re-cycled a lot - much more than what I anticipated.   There have been comments about the world space being devoid of enemies and level restrictions placed on gear - found a minigun?, tough shit can't use it till you hit the required level!

All I wanted from this was Fallout 4+ , a remix that focused on combat and exploration sans npc interaction.  But it seems we're not even getting that (save a world devoid of npc's).  

Oh, and the download for this is a whopping 47GB on Xbox.  But not a HD texture pack in sight.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I wasn’t in when it was announced, I’m twice as not in now. Will get my open world kicks from Red Dead 2 and maybe AC: Odyssey after that. See you next gen, Bethesda!
    Get schwifty.

• This really really does not sound like it's going to be any good.
  • You can’t help thinking if they wanted another fallout game to spin some quick cash they’d of been better farming out the engine and art to some other developers to knock a new Vegas type game out
    The Forum Herald™
  • After the mess that Obsidian made of it, I am not surprised they didn't go down that route again. Despite my reservations, I really hope this still somehow remains enjoyable in solo play.  But the gimmick that the 'only humans you'll meet in this game will be real humans!' sounds like it was drafted up in the boardroom by a bunch of exec's who've never played a Fallout game.  It's not so much the npc interactions I'll miss (Bethesda's 'characters' have never been all that good anyway), more the incidental dialogue "the Jet will make you jittery!" that made FO4 seem so alive.  I'm not sure scattered tape recordings and robot vendors will compensate for this loss.
  • Bob wrote:
    You can’t help thinking if they wanted another fallout game to spin some quick cash they’d of been better farming out the engine and art to some other developers to knock a new Vegas type game out

This isn't another Fallout game though, this was the executives saying they needed an online team based PVP game as a vehicle for microtransactions or lootboxes for DAT CASH MONAYYYYYY!

Hopefully it bombs and the fucking twats on the boards of these publishers and devs realise you can't just shoehorn your popular IP into whatever the latest gaming money spinner is and milk your fanbase as though they are absolutely braindead stupid and can't see what you're doing.

CAVEAT - Anyone that tries to say this is a good game is actually braindead stupid though and can't see what they're doing, probably because Todd Howard's nutsack is obscuring their vision rn.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    they should make it a battle royale
  • DS that is probably what they wanted, but the engine wouldn't support it.
  • I liked new Vegas
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob is correct, New Vegas is the best of the new titles, buggy game sure, but they had 18 months and Bethesda's shitty ass gamebryo engine to work with so I dunno why people are surprised at the bugs given that Oblivion, F3, Skyrim and F4 have hours of hilarious video online dedicated to the foibles of that game engine.
  • You could still play those games out of the box though. As buggy as they were, there were no game halting bugs. Vegas was so broken upon release, it was virtually unplayable. All Obsidian had to do was essentially create a giant mod using that engine, but they couldn't even manage that.  There was a lot of snobbery attached to the fact because some of those guys were around during the original PC days of the franchise, they were the custodians of the series and the only ones who could tell a decent Fallout story. Bullshit. New Vegas' s main quest was nothing special, but is lionised as the best ever.  Nonsense. Que Roujin telling me it's still better than Brotherhood Zeppelins and technologically impossible human facsimiles.

The main story in Fallout 76 appears to revolve around why there are no humans left and why post-apocalyptic dragons are now emerging from the core of the earth. Ho-hum.
  • I played it day one and never had a game breaking bug. It’s one of those those supposed facts that’s become legendary over time that simply wasn’t true for me.
    The Forum Herald™
  • However talking about bugs...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-23-bethesda-warns-fallout-76-may-have-some-spectacular-issues

Not sure this bodes well..

I think I'm probably out at launch and then it wont be worth trying to pick it up later as there'll probably just be really hardcore players.. ? I'm probably just out.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I letter to the fans...which reads like WE KNOW THIS IS A HAPLESS CASH-IN WHICH WILL BARELY RUN OUT OF THE BOX BUT GUYYYYYYYYS! BUY THIS COS ITS MORE FALLOUT GNNNNNnr

Sorry, I came across all Rouj there, but it does demonstrate how nervous they are about this new 'project'.  Nobody really wanted a multi-player Fallout, but they're determined to go down this 'games as a service' route to explore untapped revenue streams. I just hope that same determination doesn't wash away their fanbase.  They're rattled by all the negative press the early stress test got, and want to prepare people for the worst....just like some pre-apocalyptic warning. How apt.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I hope it fails spectacularly.
    Get schwifty.
  • As probably the biggest Fallout fanboy on here, this game has so underwhelmed me that it's left me pretty sad and annoyed. The letter doesn't fill me with any confidence either; I won't be buying it.
  • So they've just announced another round of beta testing, this time over the weekend at a more favourable European time too. Hooray!  But it amounts to 2 hours each day. Two on a Saturday. Two on a Sunday.  Unfuckingbelievable.

• Don't know what to make of this. After recent events, that opening image of the girl twirling with the guns makes me a tad uneasy.

• Fuck me. The beach boys. A sound of music visual reference and wild gunplay. Yes. Yes. This is the aesthetic of Fallout, well done Bethesda 10/10 you totally understand this IP.

I stopped watching after 10 seconds so I presume the rest of the trailer is either really great and undoes the last 5 years or just continues to plumb new depths of utter trash in the hope that a high budget ad is all they need to make people buy the game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!