Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • 3 times in a row I’ve been given Ectoplasm when I swapped out starting relic. Quit each time. I want my goooooooold!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Anybody looked into the board game in more detail, now that it’s up (kickstarter)? I’m not really into board games, but definitely would get this given GOAT etc. but it’d be handy to know whether it’s pretty complicated as they go - it does seem to have a lot going on.
  • I don't see how this can be any good for a multitude of reasons. If it's simplified then it's inferior to the digital version. If it's complex then the user won't be able to track and account for their mistakes. Plus too much of the enjoyment I get from the game comes from the difficulty scaling with player ability. Low ascensions are not fun for me, but the thrill of high ascensions surely have too many moving parts to be replicated manually.

And yet somehow I still want it? shame the relics aren't little metal trinkets. that might be too hard to resist (although there's no way I could afford it right now)
  • I think one edition had metal bits (coins maybe?); even the base version seems expensive to me but perhaps these sorts of board games are, I wouldn't know.
  • I just bought Slay the Spire on PC so that I can try the downfall mod. Gonna get all my unlocks, er, unlocked first though.

Game really does need an “I did all this on another platform” button.

Stupid, sexy Slay the Spire.

Edit:

Can unlock it all by digging in program files, which is nice. Back to the same level as I am on PS5.
  • Got heart right down to a slither but died right at the end, nearly had Asc19 heart down. But hey ho, Asc 20 unlocked.
  • Had a fun run last night messing around with a mod that makes it so that all card rewards, curses, and status cards you might get are all rare cards instead. Played as silent and started out with Pandoras box and prismatic shard. Luckily got a glass knife and an unload so was able to actually kill things. Only having one impervious as my only block was a bit of a problem but I picked up a double tap and hyper beam so was able to kill things quickly enough.

Corruption, nightmare, barricade, and deva form meant I was pretty much unkillable by act 3. Also had a couple of seeks and that is a ridiculously powerful card to get stuff off turn 1 and set everything up. Love it.

Heart did not stand a chance. First a20 heart kill with silent :p

Edit: this is the mod - oops! all rares! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882006394
  • Playing on iPhone on the train. Asc9 with IC. By the end of Act 1, I had dead branch, corruption, fiend fire and pyramid. Unlosable, right? Right. By end of Act 2 I also had Juggernaut, true grits, entrench and body slam. Most cards upgraded. Act 3 was a joke. Beautiful.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Niiiiice. 

Dead branch also one i'm super sketchy on, tbh, but with corruption in there...beautiful.
  • Nice one elf. I'm not a big fan of pyramid and dead branch as it can be hard to clear space in your hand.

After being stuck on mobile at a15 with silent for ages I managed a heart run then a16 back to back.
  • 4630bao.jpg

QAFJSiH.jpg

My first Asc 20 heart. Was sketchy as fuck, but a win is a win.
  • Niiice. With Runic dome in there as well.

From the relics you must have had a lot of energy to play with.
  • Frosty wrote:
    Niiice. With Runic dome in there as well. From the relics you must have had a lot of energy to play with.

Yeah, deck was mainly energy and card draw - wheel kick, double vault and scrawl+ did a lot of work. Actual bread and butter cards were kinda rough - couldn't get a good defense card to save my life and ended up having to take talk to the hand and 2 protects just to get any kind of block. 

Wheel kick was the only good damage card I had - Necronomicon meant that it hit for 60 in wrath and drew 4 cards. That, the draw cards and the potions (potion belt and toy ornithopter) absolutely carried me. Shops had nothing of value the entire run, so just kept going for card removes and potions. 

As for Runic Dome. I love Runic Dome. Gets me killed a lot, but...worth it.

Edit: And rushdown was upgraded and bottled before the heart, which meant I was far less likely to die needlessly to a bad turn 1/2 draw.
  • Been back at downfall this week too. Doing unlock runs on all the new characters.

They're all still very very good.

Think they're slightly easier runs than regular though. Once you understand their mechanics, you can be pretty op and hammer through on early asencisions.

Still unbelievable it's a free mod.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Fuck, zapped a post about this before somehow.

Anyhoo, up to Ac9 with snecko on downfall.

Its easier than regular runs, because theres so many ways to game the gambling systems with the randomness, but my God it's fun. Rain of dice is a completely glorious broken card.
  • So I started from scratch on the vanilla game.  Up to asc 18 on defect, 11 on ironclad and silent.  Had a bonkers silent run with multiple accuracy and shiv cards combined with dead branch. Every fight played slightly differently as the deck got different random cards every time I played a shiv.
  • Yeah the silent branch is usually a crazy build.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Chasing ac11 now with snecko. Having to be a bit more careful now.

The other thing with downfall to mention is that it leans into question mark rooms super hard.

There's just so much craziness and gambling in them. So many zigs when you expect a zag for vets of main game. It's amazing, and super hilarious fun at early AC. But, for instance there's multiple events that will potentially give you 3+ curses. And some of the new curses are nasty, and you could stack them. Which puts you in a game of trying to survive a couple of floor ls until you can get to a shop etc to deal with them.

Absolute catnip to try and thread that needle. Less consistently successful above ac10
  • Chasing ac14 now.

Have clearly worked some stuff out, because I banged through a couple pretty quick.

• Chasing AC18.

I see you Goober. ;)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    On steam? Yeah, I've double (quadruple actually, Xbox, gamepads, android and now steam) dipped, as I want to try out the mods mentioned. I'm going to aim to get everyone up to AC20 before starting heart runs from L1.
  • Finally got each character up to AC20 after an absolute slog from AC17 with defect. Got there with an A19 heart run carried by chemical x, Reinforced Body, and the final elite dropping some Calipers.

Almost fucked it against the heart as I used a Fission to evoke all my orbs forgetting that I had no other form of damage or lightning generation other than one Ball Lightning. Luckily hologram and cool headed meant I could draw it multiple times so I didn't fuck it horribly at the last hurdle.
  • Just can't seem to get a good Ironclad run together atm.  I've been doing daily runs instead because they can throw up some interesting synergies I haven't thought of before.
  • I went back to asc 0 recently and can do about half of all silent heart runs.
  • I'm chasing ac20 with Snecko on downfall. Dead branch absolutely gifted me ac19.
  • Got to 20 on Silent. 19 was a proper slog but a deck with plenty of draw and energy, with snecko skull, dead branch, corpse explosion and envenom finally saw me through. Died at the heart though - had bugger all block and would have killed for sth like a kunai or after image.
  • Kunai is the best. If you get it early you're laughing.
  • I think 95% of the time I'll always choose after image to. That and Kunai can be devastating.
  • So, ac20 done with snecko. Appropriately, I also had the snecko relic.

On the whole, not quite as challenging as regular ac20, but definitely a good time, and plenty hard enough.

up to ac6 with Gremlins now. Who might be my second fav of the downfall characters.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!