Opening lines
  • Funny way to spell Mario.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Fuck.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Anger - he smiles, towering in shiny metallic purple armour. Green jealousy, envy waits beside him, her firey green gown stares at the grassy ground.....

AND

Mother earth is pregnant for the third time, for y'all have knocked her up. I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe, I was not offended. For I knew i had to rise above it all, or drown in my own shit.......
  • I’m a huge fan of Jeff Noon’s early books. Needle In The Groove is probably my favourite novel full stop. It starts like this:

the nightclub/a stonecold zombie with a look of shock on its face, the kind that happens when nocturnals get caught in the daylight/check that feeling/something about turned-off neon always does it for me, turns on the sadness, gets me thinking about where all the shine goes to/like it should've been raining, like it should've always been raining

The stylistic tic of no caps and slashes for sentence breaks is jarring at first but makes sense as you get into the book. It forces you to read in a rhythm.

Noon’s first book, Vurt, has a beauty of a first line:

A young buy puts a feather into his mouth.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!