PlayStation VR 2
  • Fuck me! It’s all turned up. I paddled about a swimming pool for 3 minutes before I needed to charge the controllers and turn it off. Tbh, I was expecting a clearer image - but disappointed in the clarity. It’s basically how I remember PSVR1. I appreciate that it won’t be but I was hoping for basically my LG G series quality but strapped to my head.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    All turned up and charged. Great stuff.

Didn’t have much time this afternoon so has a quick first level of Tetris again and remembered how lovely that is. Great stuff.

Bought and downloaded loads of daft bits and bobs. Great stuff.

Sadly however I appear to be currently riddled with some brutal plague disease head sinus bastard cold as well… so I’m thinking of watching the so-so Wakanda Forever instead on the big cinema screen and see how that holds up.

Loving it so far.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Can you watch movies on a big screen in 4K on the new headset?  How would that compare to a reasonably good 4K TV?

I watched the Alien Blu Ray on whopping screen on my my PSVR once.  Great night.
  • Would playing non PSVR PS5 games on the new headset be a bit like having a 4K TV?  i.e. Returnal on a humongous screen with HDR etc.  

Not tempted, honest.
  • No, not really. I posted in the PS5 thread that I could perhaps see myself playing a PS4 golf game or similar with it. If you're already on a 4K TV though, that'll look better.
  • Haven't joined the resolution revolution yet.
  • Well, you definitely can use it as a massive screen if that's what you're after, and it's pretty comfortable.
  • Its not a system seller feature, but it's definitely neat.
  • A couple of patronising observations for people who are finding it too blurry...

Firstly, yeah, it's a bit blurrier than the hype might have led you to expect but...  I found that the sweet spot was much smaller than I expected, and a certain amount of fiddling was needed. Also, and I appreciate how stupidly obvious this is in retrospect, it's worth wearing your glasses. I don't normally bother with glasses at all unless I'm driving. But they make a massive difference in this - the focal distance seems to be quite far away.

Oh, and definitely adjust the IPD...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you're new to VR (and maybe it's not true for PSVR, I don't know) but it definitely takes a while to get the sweet spot for clarity. It's important to tighten the strap in exactly the right place.
  • Every review I’ve read said that the picture clarity is top level, so it has to be worth revisiting any blurry experiences and playing with the settings.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    A couple of patronising observations for people who are finding it too blurry...

Firstly, yeah, it's a bit blurrier than the hype might have led you to expect but...  I found that the sweet spot was much smaller than I expected, and a certain amount of fiddling was needed. Also, and I appreciate how stupidly obvious this is in retrospect, it's worth wearing your glasses. I don't normally bother with glasses at all unless I'm driving. But they make a massive difference in this - the focal distance seems to be quite far away.

Oh, and definitely adjust the IPD...

Get some cover lenses. VR Optician are excellent.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • It''s not that it's blurry, in a way that can be adjusted - it's just that there is pixellation on small type that you wouldn't see on a 4K TV, and there is still some screen-door. It's no biggie, it's (for me) slightly more noticeable than the reviews led me to believe. I still think the system is about as good for the money as you can currently get though.
  • So, given that you can see the pixels, I wouldn't choose it over a movie on a 4K TV.
  • Do have to commend those OLEDs though, the colours and blacks are great, streets ahead of the washed-out greyness my Quest2 had.
  • I had one last dip into VR this evening. I've had very brief bouts on a number of games as the day's gone on with rests in between to recover. I'll admit some slight uncertainty initially, but by the end of the day I'm really happy with it.  Stuff sampled:

GT7 - Incredible, but too much. I'll return to it once I'm a little easier with VR again. The potential is huge, but not if it makes me want to throw up.

Kayak - Utterly beautiful, with some really impressive use of haptics etc. Slight nausea still - may just have been thanks to GT7. Controls really well, even if the controllers don't really double for a paddle terribly convincingly.

Thumper - As great as ever. Easily made the most use of the head haptics out of anything I played.

Pistol Whip - Essentially the same as the previous version, only a fair bit prettier, with more content and better audio. Which considering I loved the original is no minor thing.

Tetris Effect - The biggest surprise for me. I almost didn't bother updating this as the original didn't do much for me on PSVR. I'm not sure what's changed, but it blew me away this time. It feels like there's a lot more going on with the visuals, though the game is obviously unchanged.

Resident Evil: Village - I'd put this off as I assumed it would make me almost as nauseous as GT7, but actually I was (mostly) alright. (I kept the snap turns on, which helped)  It's bloody great. I haven't played very far into it, but even the VR tutorial is fun, and left me with the dilemma of whether to go for easy gun loading, or the fun but fiddly realistic gun loading. The only problem came during cut scenes in the main game. Finding myself moved against my will - particularly when made to crouch or lie down - was the first time it really made me uncomfortable. Still, I'm looking forward to going back - it looks absolutely amazing.
  • Is that envy, or did you just finish a long session of gt7?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Head haptics. Didn't know that was a thing. Amazing.
  • Vela wrote:
    Is that envy, or did you just finish a long session of gt7?

It’s envy. I can afford one, but it’s a lump I wouldn’t normally drop without thinking on it first. I’ma relatively cautious spender. Listening to others, the thinking is I should get one.
  • Had another bash briefly this morning. Horizon doesn’t look as stunning as I expected but I enjoyed my brief time with it much more than I expected. The bow has just the right amount of correction on it to make me feel like I’m brill at it and there’s some really lovely textures on the rocks. Nicely impressed with it so far - though the boat bit we’ve all seen in the trailers was a bit bollocks.
  • Those five games tonight? Alyx within a month Astro2 for Christmas season. Available now for Astro remaster.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Reading Tin’s post I’ve now got envy with the bloody machine sitting next to me. Time to get on to Sony to get it sent back :-(
  • Oh no!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well they make it easy, there is a button to return stuff right next to your order. Click that, choose faulty as the reason and they give you a label to print.
  • Lucky then. Hopefully a quick turnaround for you.
  • Those five games tonight? Alyx within a month Astro2 for Christmas season. Available now for Astro remaster.

At the point Alyx drops I’m in
    The Forum Herald™
  • Thread title altered slightly to avoid confusion.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How dare you.
  • Wait now we have 4 threads for PSVR?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!