The QI thread of things you found reasonably arresting, mildly intriguing, & yes, quite interesting.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Cheers muchly.

In other news, Emperor Claudius was so fond of combat, he once had a fight with a whale.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • That's incredible
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • poprock wrote:
    What does your sister do? Or at least, what was she doing there?

She was a physicist studying fluids in mechanics (the impact of global warming on icebergs etc). She was there twenty years or so ago. Some crazy stories. She loved it though.

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

That's really cool.

"LADS! It's dark. Hit the deck."
    mk64 wrote:
    She was a physicist studying fluids in mechanics (the impact of global warming on icebergs etc).

I'm so jealous.

I get hit with a paywall. In Spanish, for some reason.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hooray for copy-n-paste.
  • Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Keep em coming.
  • Fuck, that's a grim tale.  Especially if you follow the link to the Vice article.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I get hit with a “give us ya email” wall. Ctrl c v?
  • Here you go.
    Spoiler:
  • And here's the Vice article (including picture of said charred corpse - warning).
    Spoiler:
  • I quite fancy some twiglets.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That same pig headness and failure to deal with the truth was what made Chernobyl - initially forcing through the cheaper more dangerous design that all experts were terrified of, the imposing impossible quotas on energy production and finally the inability to report the truth up the chain of command once something went wrong.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Fuck, that's a grim tale.  Especially if you follow the link to the Vice article.

He's so badly mangled, it doesn't bother me - doesn't even look human. Which just makes it even more grim. In their defence, at least they didn't send the second crew up to do the mission they knew would end in death.

Great find, Dante, I'd genuinely never heard of that. I had to double check the names on the plaque - I'm glad to find out that my factoid of "no one has died in space" is still true.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Between 1940 and 2009, Oklahoma State Penitentiary ran a rodeo for the inmates. #murica

The biggest slave auction in history was initiated to pay off gambling debts.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    I'm glad to find out that my factoid of "no one has died in space" is still true.

Having said that, wiki claims that the crew of Soyuz 11 are the only humans to die in space; but they died in re-entry, so wouldn't that count as atmospheric? Hmm.

EDIT: It appears they died above the Karman line, which is still "in the atmosphere", but what NASA etc. count as "in space".
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've seen the picture before and heard something about the guy knowing he was goosed  - but I didn't realise he knew that pre-flight. Fucking pricks.

Perhaps countries like that actually need royalty - having a King/Queen who aren't obsessed with holding onto power would be better?? Couldn't be any fucking worse.

OK - we chopped our King's head off but we admitted it was an over reaction and put his son back in to allow the society to gradually wean themselves off having a leader like that.

Of course I'm not being serious but the East needs something new instead of arseholes who deny everything (Chernobyl, Ukraide, COVID etc). Hoping our dalliance with that type of leader is fleeting.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On a completely different tack...

Singer Nat King Cole was a brilliant pianist.

Genius pianist Oscar Peterson sang just like Nat King Cole.

So they decided between them that one would sing and the other would do piano in order to differentiate themselves.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/oscar-peterson-virtuoso-pianist-who-dominated-jazz-piano-in-the-second-half-of-the-20th-century-766843.html
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Perhaps countries like that actually need royalty - having a King/Queen who aren't obsessed with holding onto power would be better?

You remember history from school, right? ;)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Melbourne is closer to Antarctica than it is to Darwin
  • Not as easy to drive there though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Next Top Gear/Grand Tour special.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    "Hawking's Paradox" solved, because it turns out black holes are hairy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!