theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Saw a hairdressers the other day called The Head Gardener. Made me smile.
  • There's a hairdresser in Brixton called "Oh Girl where'd you get your hair done" no lie.

Also a furniture store in Northampton caled "Sofa King" with a banner saying "Our prices are Sofa King low".
  • I had a Starbo Mocha once, gave me the damn squits.

Feel like this name thing could be entertainingly abused pretty easily.
  • There's a hairdresser in Brixton called "Oh Girl where'd you get your hair done" no lie..

Is that the one near the dogstar?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yeah think so, though forget how far up the Dogstar is as I'm normally fucked.
  • Has Derek Acorah claimed he can speak to Madeline McCann?  I'd happily toss all fucking 'mediums' in jail for fraud.  Cunts, the lot of them.
  • Hanging's to good for 'em

cunts

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah think so, though forget how far up the Dogstar is as I'm normally fucked.

*smiley* (smileys dont seem to work)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I want you all to take a step back and think about this question.

How much of an insular nerd do you have to be to get upset that someone asks your name to better serve you your expensive milk drink?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Milk drink? They sell coffee. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if some of their drinks didn't contain milk at all!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Milk drink? They sell coffee. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if some of their drinks didn't contain milk at all!

Mate, a latte is 1 part espresso, 3 parts milk, sugar and syrup.

Let's not pretend the reason Starbucks is successful is because the general population fivking loves the taste of straight espresso.

• I don't like milk in my coffee, yuck!
    I don't go to Starbucks either.
    I dont like giving my name out to people who have been told to ask my name in a newsletter that also tells them to ask how my day is or any other inane question that have nothing to do with me getting what I asked for.
  • I lived in Brixton for 4 years. Miss it. The Village has gotten awesome for high-end eats recently too, got to check out that Honest Burgers when I can.
  • I dont like giving my name out to people who have been told to ask my name in a newsletter that also tells them to ask how my day is or any other inane question that have nothing to do with me getting what I asked for.

Why?

• I'm just not interested in it, it's a game I don't want to play. It's false and I don't care for falseness, I like things down the line and honest.
    There's nothing wrong with service with a smile and manors but don't try and be my best fwend when I'm just another number.
    If they really want to give friendly service look at my face when I order then when it's ready re-call my face and hand me it.
    If you can't do that just gimme a number.
  • +1

Cafe Nero manage it perfectly well. Queues go quickly if there are one and you order and get your drink. Starbucks for all their faffing around, asking questions and putting your drinks on a table for anyone to pick up have got it wrong.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Tetley's used to have awards for bar staff who could remember a customers name and what they drank. There were 100, 250 and 500 awards.  You'd have to recall 50%, 25% and 20% of your list of customers respectfully, by answering a name with a drink. I did the 250. I know only a few people did the 500. I knew one personally. Of course she cheated. Pretty sure people cheated on them all. Still though the awards gave the HR bastards something to do as they ran about the country supposedly doing something worthwhile.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Got a 13p p/h pay rise out of it. Minimum wage at the time £2.86 btw.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • google wrote:
    I want you all to take a step back and think about this question.

How much of an insular nerd do you have to be to get upset that someone asks your name to better serve you your expensive milk drink?

Upset isn't the word. I personally would prefer to remain anonymous when ordering coffee. Or anything else for that matter. Don't need my name for that.

Or perhaps I just ain't friendly folk.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Cafe Nero manage it perfectly well. Queues go quickly if there are one and you order and get your drink.

Cafe Nero is balls. Each barista / cashier makes the drinks and takes the money. But, when its busy, to 'save time' they'll try and do multiple orders at once. So one barista will ask what you want, and the guy behind you and the guy behind.

Then the next barista comes along, finds who hasn't had their order taken, and then takes multiple orders down the queue. So maybe 6 people have ordered drinks from two baristas buts its almost random who gets theirs first. And if like me, you just have something simple like espresso+water, you might end up waiting with your drink on the side ready to be given to you, while the barista faffs around with the strawberry iced frappucinno of someone behind you. In the meantime, people 4 or 5 places behind are sauntering off with their drinks in hand and grabbing all the tables. 

It can obviously work in your favour as well but its a lottery.
  • I guess I've lived on this side of the pond for too long. When I came back to England I found most service staff to be cold and unnecessary. It seemed like I was the one being a bitch by ordering something.

Whereas here, baristas take pride in their job, profession and company.

I find it interesting that so many of you have an issue with service like this.
  • truefax@monkey
  • google wrote:
    I guess I've lived on this side of the pond for too long. When I came back to England I found most service staff to be cold and unnecessary. It seemed like I was the one being a bitch by ordering something. Whereas here, baristas take pride in their job, profession and company. I find it interesting that so many of you have an issue with service like this.

Don't get me wrong I am more than happy with enthusiastic service when it is genuine it's just that in places like Starbucks it isn't. What you end up with is the same cold service with a bunch of scripted questions. Which is way worse.

I have also been on the flip side of this crap, working in retail acting a complete cunt, jumping through hoops to stick to a ridiculous mandate set out by people in a boardroom who haven't lifted a finger on the shop floor since the 1990's.
    All it results in is treating all customers like robots who are happy to respond to the same questions and answers, where as in fact far better customer service is to treat people like the bloody human beings that they are.

In regards to the name thing, that is MY name I decide who get's to know it. You yourself Google just had a pop at mk64 in another thread for using your name so you must emphasize at least to a degree.
  • I'm just a miserable old bastard.

simples

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    google wrote:

And there's the rub. First they convinced the staff they were doing something more meaningful than serving overpriced hot drinks in a multinational conglomorate with a highly questionable attitude to exploiting farmers.

Now they're trying to convince the shoppers it's something more magical/personal than buying a hot drink as well.

They're the Apple of the warmed water industry.
  • Don't get me wrong I am more than happy with enthusiastic service when it is genuine it's just that in places like Starbucks it isn't.

OK. The only way that Starbucks will change the cold energy of their workforce is to engage in change, right?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    google wrote:
    And there's the rub. First they convinced the staff they were doing something more meaningful than serving overpriced hot drinks in a multinational conglomorate with a highly questionable attitude to exploiting farmers. Now they're trying to convince the shoppers it's something more magical/personal than buying a hot drink as well. They're the Apple of the warmed water industry.

Mate, not everyone is lucky enough to run their own website firm. 

Why is it automatically a negative to give a shit about one's job, regardless of stature? 

Seriously, you're a negative fuck sometimes (which I think is why I like you so much!)
  • Mod74 wrote:
    google wrote:
    And there's the rub. First they convinced the staff they were doing something more meaningful than serving overpriced hot drinks in a multinational conglomorate with a highly questionable attitude to exploiting farmers. Now they're trying to convince the shoppers it's something more magical/personal than buying a hot drink as well. They're the Apple of the warmed water industry.

The wee AMT kiosks you get at stations sell a "spiced apple" beverage. It is unremarkable.
  • google wrote:
    Don't get me wrong I am more than happy with enthusiastic service when it is genuine it's just that in places like Starbucks it isn't.
    OK. The only way that Starbucks will change the cold energy of their workforce is to engage in change, right?
    It would have to be change that the staff want though

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!