PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't even know what we're listing
  • I think part of the problem is looking at this through the lens of generations, is that - as big Philly Spencer said recently - the biggest games will be cross platform, and that will include generations too.

Walkabout Mini Golf on the PSVR2 is an absolute reason to invest in a PS5 and a PSVR2, but you can also get it on Quest 2/3, so it doesn't fit.

GT7 is VR2 compatible, but also on PS4 in a less shiny version, so can't be included.

I have lost days of my life playing Fortnite. I can do that at 120fps on PS5, but I could also play is on the PS4 or even Switch.

I absolutely loved the Last of US Part 1, but I could effectively play that on PS3!

I'm not doing down the discussion (it's a cool/fun one), but I think it will get harder and harder over time to name generational exclusive games in the future.
  • Two essential games (Returnal, BG3) and six good/very good ones.

Edit: reply to reg
  • Does Walkabout Mini Golf count?

It’s my favoured game on PS5, but appreciate it was on Quest first.

Edit: Syph beat me to it. A bit like on Walkabout Golf too.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    I think part of the problem is looking at this through the lens of generations, is that - as big Philly Spencer said recently - the biggest games will be cross platform, and that will include generations too.

Walkabout Mini Golf on the PSVR2 is an absolute reason to invest in a PS5 and a PSVR2, but you can also get it on Quest 2/3, so it doesn't fit.

GT7 is VR2 compatible, but also on PS4 in a less shiny version, so can't be included.

I have lost days of my life playing Fortnite. I can do that at 120fps on PS5, but I could also play is on the PS4 or even Switch.

I absolutely loved the Last of US Part 1, but I could effectively play that on PS3!

I'm not doing down the discussion (it's a cool/fun one), but I think it will get harder and harder over time to name generational exclusive games in the future.

I suppose this is the discussion, generations are going to mean less and less because they're falling into the PC space, and that's a good thing because more and more people can. Access them. Thinking of consoles as generations is a very console way of thinking and whilst there are some bangers, it's not necessarily about where you play them.

It does make my thoughts of "wtf bullshit wizard" harder when Spencer talks about the biggest leap in console generations next gen, although if he can say "no change to strategy" and then change strategy, I suppose take everything with a grain of salt.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Immortality runs on mobile, was it not also PS4??

Reg was asking about across both consoles.  It's not PS4 or XBOne so is current gen.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That does marry up
    On the list
  • I forgot when the PS5 was released so looked it up, Nov 2020?!  So not much more than 3 years.  I think plenty of life left to get some proper greats out.  But yeah, maybe taking longer than previous generations for reasons people have already mentioned here.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    A quick Google suggests that Immortality has pretty high PC requirements and technical issues on non-top-of-the-range phones so I’m not sure it’s necessarily as technically last gen as people are suggesting. IIRC Digital Foundry played Ratchet and Clank on a PC specced like a PS4 and it broadly worked except for notable technical issues with portal/splitscreen sections so I feel like there’s no limit to where you could take that ‘technically last gen’ limit really.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I forgot when the PS5 was released so looked it up, Nov 2020?!  So not much more than 3 years.  I think plenty of life left to get some proper greats out.  But yeah, maybe taking longer than previous generations for reasons people have already mentioned here.

This was my expectation. Just seems odd to hear that Sony consider it to be entering the latter stage of its life cycle given that there's only really been one 'OH SHIT WOW PS5 POWER' first party game released so far (Spidey 2).

Foolish perhaps, but I assumed this gen would last longer than the last one because of the slow start.
  • No I feel much the same and am miffed at the whole thing. Whole gen, even. Apart from Walkabout and the odd gem it's not exactly been vintage.
  • And as much as I feel there are pitfalls to being flavour of the week, I do enjoy seeing small/AA projects hit it big like Helldivers/Among Us. It may arrive laced with pure jank but I like how that Kingmaker trailer actually made me feel something, outta nowhere.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    All this while PC Gaming flourishes right now. Lads. Lads.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I forgot when the PS5 was released so looked it up, Nov 2020?!  So not much more than 3 years.  I think plenty of life left to get some proper greats out.  But yeah, maybe taking longer than previous generations for reasons people have already mentioned here.

Sony weren’t saying it was a dying console. They were saying that sales growth YOY was probably at its peak and would decline. That’s likely to put the end number somewhere around 100m which is hardly bad but probs not the hope of beating PS4.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

I get it mr 4090, but genuinely worth having a chat about the state of console gaming. Many(but not all) your big bangers come out from Console studios.

Maybe some empathy
  • I think like Syph alludes to we are perhaps artificially excluding stuff that really is current gen just because it runs officially (although probably like arse) on last gen.

Like a Dragon:IW is one I'm surprised is cross gen this far in. Im sure it would make Reg's list for many here if it wasn't cross gen.

Makes me wonder how the sales numbers are breaking down across the two gens. There is a threshold where its not worth the dev time but that threshold will have been shifted because of how Sony and MS have built the hardware architecture making cross gen development easier/cheaper.
  • All this while PC Gaming flourishes right now. Lads. Lads.

Fucking office chair loser.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I think like Syph alludes to we are perhaps artificially excluding stuff that really is current gen just because it runs officially (although probably like arse) on last gen.

Like a Dragon:IW is one I'm surprised is cross gen this far in. Im sure it would make Reg's list for many here if it wasn't cross gen.

Makes me wonder how the sales numbers are breaking down across the two gens. There is a threshold where its not worth the dev time but that threshold will have been shifted because of how Sony and MS have built the hardware architecture making cross gen development easier/cheaper.

LADIW is an all timer
  • We've had cross gen in the past as well of course, they were just heavily cut for the older consoles.
    I remember having PS1 THPS3 before I had a PS2.
    THPS3 is still GOAT.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The early PS4 Yakuza games were actually PS3 cross-gen titles, they just didn’t bother localising the PS3 versions.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

I get it mr 4090, but genuinely worth having a chat about the state of console gaming. Many(but not all) your big bangers come out from Console studios.

Maybe some empathy

The fuck lad I own all 3 consoles and have bought loads of games on em. I was saying that for the first time in fucking years PC Gaming is not a hot mess of shit ports and uninspired wank.

Have some fucking empathy.
  • All this while PC Gaming flourishes right now. Lads. Lads.
    Isn't gaming in general flourishing? There's an absolute shit ton of new stuff to play whatever you've got. The top-tier PS5 releases in Feb alone (Ultros, Helldivers, Balatro, FFVII) could see most people through the whole year.

The cross-gen titles are a bit misleading now in terms of thinking about what is current gen, I think. Since consoles are basically PCs, you can usually make a game for the PS5's capabilities then tune it down to work on a PS4/XBone. Most games are made to work on PCs with and without SSDs too, so that's already a consideration for 3rd party developers.

There's not much a PS4 won't run if you're OK with low graphics settings and long loading times. Cyberpunk showed that there are limits to acceptable performance, but even Returnal will run on a fairly low-spec PC, and I imagine it could be adapted to work reasonably well on PS4.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Maybe some empathy

The fuck lad I own all 3 consoles and have bought loads of games on em. I was saying that for the first time in fucking years PC Gaming is not a hot mess of shit ports and uninspired wank.

Have some fucking empathy.

I guess you missed the reference
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ethic my D big lad
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ethic my D big lad

That's the sig
  • I don't want to be ethiced.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't want to be ethiced.

You've just been ethiced by the big D(S)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!